C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Filter removal tool

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Fuel Filter removal tool

Would like to have the proper tool available when i go to do this. Can anyone point me in the proper direction to show me which type I need. I am ordering the radiator hose removal tool from this place so would be great if one of these is the proper tool:
https://handsontools.3dcartstores.co...rd=fuel+filter

Thanks for any help ...
Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Yep, got all those types for oil filters ... but looking for the Fuel Filter tool, not oil ... much different.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Yeah, sorry about that. I just re-read you needed fuel not oil.

I have a set of inexpensive plastic fuel fitting tools, but most will probably suggest the metal type.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:09 PM
rboineau
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you talking about a fuel filter or an oil filter? Your tool reference seems to indicate you are working on oil. Just get a cap tool the proper size for the C5's filter; you can determine the size by using your new filter. Of course, a few oil filters do not have the 'flats' for a cap tool to grab. In that case in tight quarters I use a strap wrench (nylon strap, not the round metal thingies.

If you want to remove a FUEL filter from an earlier C5 that has the external one, it takes one of the little plastic or metal gizmos that slides along the metal line towards the filter and releases (after you struggle and curse) the retaining clips. Every parts store has them, either singly or in sets.
Old 01-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,588 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Once you see how the filter is retained on the fuel line, you will have one of those "THATS ALL IT IS" moments. There’s a circular spring inside the hole that the fuel lines insert into. There’s a raised area on the fuel lines that the spring fits over and secures the line into the filter.

All the tool does is spread that spring and allows the raised ridge on the fuel lines to slide past the spring. To allow the tool to get in under the spring, you MUST first press the fuel line INTO the filter and while holding the fuel line pressed into the filter, insert the tool into the filter and under the spring and hold it in the filter. Once the tool is under the spring and in the filter, the line will be able to be retracted.

There is a small O ring in each side of the filter. Make sure that there’s an O ring in each end. I put a little Silicone Grease or Petroleum Jelly on the end of the fuel line to make sure that the O ring slides over the line easily and doesn’t roll. I’ve never had a fuel filter issue after replacement.

Once I forgot my filter removal tool and wound up removing the filter using the small RED PLASTIC CAP that comes on the filter to keep dirt out. It worked fine in a pinch. I sliced the red cap with a knife so it would fit around the fuel line and pushed it in under the spring.

Autozone or Advance has a set of removal tools for a few bucks. There nothing fancy. I have both types. The one that looks like a pair of scissors works best for your purpose.

BC
Old 01-22-2010, 03:22 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Thanks for the input and detailed explanation.

The link in my original post is a search for Fuel Filter tool ... yes it just happens to come up with a variety of different tools but there are several fuel filter and fuel line tools as you scroll down the list.

Still dont think that I am any closer to truly identifying the "little plastic or metal gizmo"/"looks like a pair of scissors" tool required so I can order this along with everything else I need instead of making another trip to the auto store (where I will just get a blank stare from the "parts expert" as usual LOL). So, any of the tools in that link look like they would work for sure?

Last edited by AZvetteman; 01-22-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-22-2010, 05:24 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Old 01-22-2010, 05:42 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Getting warmer. Can anyone verify if it is a 5/16, 3/8, or 1/2in line going to the fuel filter so can order proper size?

Thanks again ...
Old 01-23-2010, 12:22 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Stumbled on some other fuel line posts and it seems need 5/16 and 3/8 as there are two lines and one is 3/8 (blue tab) while the other is 5/16 (green tab).
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...el-filter.html
Old 02-01-2010, 10:29 PM
AZvetteman
Instructor

Correction ...

Now that I have actually done this task, you dont need the tool for the blue tab or green tab connections as mentioned above. Apparently that is a different tool, but two flat edge screw drivers to depress the tabs works very easy to seperate those. You will just need the 3/8 line tool for the single line on the other side of the filter. I bought both the scissors type shown above (mine was metal) and struggled with it ... was clumbsy to handle in my opinion. Luckily also bought some plastic cheapo ones as other had mentioned and worked first time. It was also very clear when you had it in the correct place between the fuel line and filter as it literally sucked into place and almost had an audible click when in place.

The technique I used was removed the two lines on one end first (blue and green tabs), removed the 10mm bolt holding the filter to the body, rotated the filter so it was completely off the bolt, put the tool over the single line, slid tool into the filter as far as I could, then pinched the fuel line directly behind the tool with one hand to both hold the tool in place as well as push on the fuel line, and then pushed on the other end of the fuel filter with my other hand and the tool popped into place easily. Once in place pull filter off. Here are the plastic tools that I liked "Lisle 39400 Angled Disconnect Tool Set"

Last edited by AZvetteman; 02-01-2010 at 10:32 PM.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:45 AM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Glad it worked for you. My plastic tools are not angled, looks like I need to upgrade again.

Get notified of new replies

To Fuel Filter removal tool

Quick Reply: Fuel Filter removal tool