C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing AC Belt and tensioner.

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2020, 08:47 AM
RichyB33
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

I just went through this. I changed both the tensioner and idler. It's definitely easier to get to from the bottom. I found that a swivel head socket helped. It's also handy to have someone able to hold it in place from the top when reinstalling. Overall wasn't that bad of a job though.
The following users liked this post:
LeoLivinLife (07-04-2020)
Old 08-16-2020, 02:45 PM
GotMyVette
Heel & Toe

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think the AC belt goes near the smooth bell-like water pump pulley. I think it's routed around the rear harmonic balancer track, above the tensioner pulley, around the AC pump, then below the idler pulley. Froggy has a pretty good you tube video on installing the belt. He uses tape to secure the belt to the harmonic balancer, which is what I did as well. A new belt is extra stiff and it tends to come out of the harmonic balancer track when you try to put it around the AC pump.
Old 08-19-2020, 10:55 AM
awches
Pro

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

The biggest pain in changing out my A/C belt is the A/C lines that are n the way on my '03 coupe. Had to use some rope to get them tied out of the way a bit to get a open end wrench on the tensioner nut.

Quick Reply: Changing AC Belt and tensioner.