C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to remove automatic shifter unit??

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:10 AM
Padrino
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default How to remove automatic shifter unit??

I've just about finished my 65 C2 T-Handle conversion for my (ugly) C5 A4 shifter. I've done all the mod work to the shifter unit on a spare I bought off that aution site and now want to remove the one that is in the car and replace it with this one.

I have followed websites about how to remove the console cover and the boot. Okay, got that far. But I would like some 'help' and instructions on how to remove and replace the actual shifter unit itself.

Anyone have any information and/or pictures and tricks they can share on this??

Padrino
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Pretty simple to do.

Unbolt the base, remove the wiring harness (dis-connect) for lighting.

Remove the front lock cable by sliding it up and then dis-connecting it.
Lift up on shifter and remove shifter cable where it snaps on.

Do reverse to install

Originally Posted by Padrino
I've just about finished my 65 C2 T-Handle conversion for my (ugly) C5 A4 shifter. I've done all the mod work to the shifter unit on a spare I bought off that aution site and now want to remove the one that is in the car and replace it with this one.

I have followed websites about how to remove the console cover and the boot. Okay, got that far. But I would like some 'help' and instructions on how to remove and replace the actual shifter unit itself.

Anyone have any information and/or pictures and tricks they can share on this??

Padrino
Old 02-02-2010, 01:10 AM
pentavolvo
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Cruise-In IX Veteran

do not pull up to far, if i recall more then an inch or 2 will brake the cable. you might wanna unhook the cable from underneath
Old 02-02-2010, 12:34 PM
clif
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10

Originally Posted by pentavolvo
do not pull up to far, if i recall more then an inch or 2 will brake the cable. you might wanna unhook the cable from underneath

You are so right! I found out the HARD way this past weekend, when I was replacing my shift plate. Now, I get to replace my shift cable in a week, when it comes in!
Old 02-02-2010, 02:40 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by clif
You are so right! I found out the HARD way this past weekend, when I was replacing my shift plate. Now, I get to replace my shift cable in a week, when it comes in!
I never had that problem and now that I went back to a manual shift in the Z06, I don't have to worry about that.

Really sucks to have to change the cable. Going to have to pull exhaust and tunnel plate to gain access. Cable is held in place by two brackets that use (staple) like retainers to hold in place.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:17 PM
Padrino
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ajg1915
I never had that problem and now that I went back to a manual shift in the Z06, I don't have to worry about that.

Really sucks to have to change the cable. Going to have to pull exhaust and tunnel plate to gain access. Cable is held in place by two brackets that use (staple) like retainers to hold in place.
By chance, does anyone have a picture or diagram of how this cable connects to the shifter???? I can't reach it from underneath and need to do it from the top. Also, don't have the luxury of time as I'm getting set to ship out back to the middle east in a few weeks.

Padrino
Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 PM
ajg1915
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Padrino
By chance, does anyone have a picture or diagram of how this cable connects to the shifter???? I can't reach it from underneath and need to do it from the top. Also, don't have the luxury of time as I'm getting set to ship out back to the middle east in a few weeks.

Padrino
Sent me your email address to ajg5@aol.com

Get notified of new replies

To How to remove automatic shifter unit??

Quick Reply: How to remove automatic shifter unit??