C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Inside Front Tire Wear!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2002, 08:39 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Default Inside Front Tire Wear!

Who has had their front tires wear on the inside edges and at what mileage?

I have seen quite a few C5's with this problem. I am wondering if the cars are misaligned in the factroy.
Old 03-17-2002, 09:48 PM
97silverbullet
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Inside Front Tire Wear! (Corvette ED)

My tires are like this too. I just bought the car from my uncle one year ago with 16K miles. The tires have been doing this for some time. GM has come out with new alignment specs. The old specs made the front tires wear a certain way to get the effect of tire rotation(since we can't rotate our tires). GM has rethought the idea and come out with different specs. I don't know if this is the reason for our tire wear or not.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:06 PM
alanh
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's normal for the C5.

You must consider the fact that you are driving a performance car, and in order to get the high negative G-force numbers during cornering this performance car generates, it takes negative camber. Negative camber will wear tires on the inside edges during normal street and highway driving, especially runflats with their hard sidewalls. You can have it aligned so it won't wear the tires like what you describe, like I have, and still be within GM specs., although you will give up a little cornering ability.

Too bad you can't have the best of both worlds all in one alignment setting, but it jst doesn't work that way.
Old 03-17-2002, 11:20 PM
Z06 Quin
Safety Car

Default Re: Inside Front Tire Wear! (alanh)

That's normal for the C5.

You must consider the fact that you are driving a performance car, and in order to get the high negative G-force numbers during cornering this performance car generates, it takes negative camber. Negative camber will wear tires on the inside edges during normal street and highway driving, especially runflats with their hard sidewalls. You can have it aligned so it won't wear the tires like what you describe, like I have, and still be within GM specs., although you will give up a little cornering ability.

Too bad you can't have the best of both worlds all in one alignment setting, but it jst doesn't work that way.

What he said.... :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:
Old 03-18-2002, 12:08 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,046 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Typically the alignment from the factory leaves a little to be desired. While the inside edges are wearing on yours others are having the outside edges of the rear tires wearing. Mine were gone in 4K miles (no tread on the outer half of the tire with almost full tread on the inside). The dealer realigned the car and replaced both rear tires under warranty.
Bill
Old 03-18-2002, 04:59 AM
JohnGlenn
Racer

My first set was toast at 16K. Wearing on the inside.
Old 03-18-2002, 09:13 AM
Tom/99
Team Owner

Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

The inside edges of my front tires started to cup at about 9,000 miles. I had the wheels aligned about 1,500 miles ago. After the alignment, the car seemed totally diffetent.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:53 AM
Jim 47
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Inside Front Tire Wear! (Tom/99)

Tom:

Does "totally different" mean better or worse ?? :confused:

The factory specs will probably give everyone the best "street" tire ware, which means, point the tires straight ahead ( Zero toe in) and almost no camber ( less that -0.02 degrees) :D

For more agressive handeling, but more street tire ware you can go to at least -1.0 to -1.2 degrees at all 4 corners, but you can expect a lot more inside tire ware. :cool:
Old 03-19-2002, 05:14 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,255 Likes on 1,040 Posts

Default Re: Inside Front Tire Wear! (Jim 47)

Thanks for all of your replies.
Old 03-22-2002, 10:36 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,390 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

The front negative camber on my car was close to the max spec as delivered, and the inside of my front tires was showing more wear after about 15,000 miles. I had it realigned to get more into the middle of the spec range, and the fronts (replaced) are wearing more evenly, although not perfect. In theory, I gave up a little grip at the front end. In practice, I can't tell the difference.
If you go to non-runflat tires, the wear will be more even for any given degree of camber, because the sidewalls can flex more. I stayed with runflats because they are a bit safer, especially if you get a flat/blowout at speed. Your choice.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:20 PM
bob jacobson1
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my C 6 wore out the first pair of front tires at 15000 miles and only on the inside edge of both tires. The second pair is about gone at 14000 miles and again, no wear except the the inside edge of both tires. Is there a cure. The dealer says it is not alignment, I wonder,wheel bearing allowing the tires to tow out at speed?

Get notified of new replies

To Inside Front Tire Wear!

Quick Reply: Inside Front Tire Wear!