C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

K&N Air filter

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 05:47 PM
ricknyc23
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default K&N Air filter

I want to add a K&N Air Filter only on my 2001. I don't wanna do the whole intake right now. Are there any benefits to replacing just the stock air filter with a K&N?
Old 09-24-2010, 05:56 PM
GEMcLean
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a K&N in mine and love it. Seems to flow better.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:38 PM
hotwheels57
Race Director

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
I want to add a K&N Air Filter only on my 2001. I don't wanna do the whole intake right now. Are there any benefits to replacing just the stock air filter with a K&N?
Expect to get "they're junk" commentary. This question always does, so ignore it or heed the anonymous "experts" warnings. Interesting to note that every after market air intake system uses an oil gauze type filter. Take that for what it's worth.

Will you get any horsepower? I don't know. It does improve the air intake sound, which is what most owners equate to horsepower, anyway. The manufacturer will probably say it will increase horsepower. If so, your buttometer probably won't be calibrated to sense it.

I use either K&N or S&B oil gauze filters on our three vehicles. In fact, every vehicle we've owned has used an oil gauze filter. The AZ dust gets everywhere and I'd rather clean the filter with every oil change than buy a new paper filter. Just because you use one doesn't mean you can ignore common sense about when to clean them.

The biggest advantage to an oil gauze filter is that it's infinitely reusable. Keep it clean and save yourself a lot of money over the life of your car. Allow it to get dirty and it'll cause your car harm just as a paper filter will. There is a certain procedure for cleaning. Follow it...

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

The caveat is over oiling after cleaning. This is what gets owners into trouble. More is not better. It will possibly contaminate the MAF wires and cause poor performance. And the people who don't follow the procedure and experience poor performance are probably the same who don't like them.
Old 09-25-2010, 12:31 AM
00Corvette
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hotwheels57
Expect to get "they're junk" commentary. This question always does, so ignore it or heed the anonymous "experts" warnings. Interesting to note that every after market air intake system uses an oil gauze type filter. Take that for what it's worth.

Will you get any horsepower? I don't know. It does improve the air intake sound, which is what most owners equate to horsepower, anyway. The manufacturer will probably say it will increase horsepower. If so, your buttometer probably won't be calibrated to sense it.

I use either K&N or S&B oil gauze filters on our three vehicles. In fact, every vehicle we've owned has used an oil gauze filter. The AZ dust gets everywhere and I'd rather clean the filter with every oil change than buy a new paper filter. Just because you use one doesn't mean you can ignore common sense about when to clean them.

The biggest advantage to an oil gauze filter is that it's infinitely reusable. Keep it clean and save yourself a lot of money over the life of your car. Allow it to get dirty and it'll cause your car harm just as a paper filter will. There is a certain procedure for cleaning. Follow it...

http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm

The caveat is over oiling after cleaning. This is what gets owners into trouble. More is not better. It will possibly contaminate the MAF wires and cause poor performance. And the people who don't follow the procedure and experience poor performance are probably the same who don't like them.
Old 09-25-2010, 01:04 AM
jcgunn
Melting Slicks

Received 303 Likes on 196 Posts

One more thing...the K&N might not fit in the stock box. You may have to use a "zip tie" mod to get it closed
Old 09-25-2010, 08:50 AM
GEMcLean
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default K&N is better than that!

One more thing...the K&N might not fit in the stock box. You may have to use a "zip tie" mod to get it closed

K&N fits perfectly. No need for any mods!
Old 09-25-2010, 08:55 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I use a K&N, but never oil it. Use an air hose to blow the dirt off. Yah I know should not do that either.

Breaths great, runs great, no dirt. no worries.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:42 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

They have been proven to NOT filter as well as paper. And any horsepower claims are not backed up by testing.

Over-oiling WILL mess up your MAF sensor.

I'll stick with paper.

Last edited by Oldvetter; 09-25-2010 at 12:38 PM.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:43 AM
Oldvetter
Le Mans Master

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AU N EGL
I use a K&N, but never oil it. Use an air hose to blow the dirt off. Yah I know should not do that either.

Without oiling these filters, they will perform MUCH worse than paper filters. They depend on the oil to trap dust/dirt.

I suggest you look at your throttle body throat and then make that "no dirt" statement !
Old 09-25-2010, 09:01 PM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

WAIT! Is today April 1st?????
Old 09-26-2010, 07:25 AM
CSM Z06
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unbelievable
Old 09-26-2010, 08:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Oldvetter
Without oiling these filters, they will perform MUCH worse than paper filters. They depend on the oil to trap dust/dirt.

I suggest you look at your throttle body throat and then make that "no dirt" statement !
Clean as clean can be.

I have two filters, and change them back and forth every few weekends at the track.
Old 09-26-2010, 04:46 PM
RSchleder
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AU N EGL

I have no "dog in this hunt" so this is only my suggestion--don't use a K&N filter without properly oiling it! Without oiling it properly, this filter does not filter the air very well. If you feel otherwise ( and I assume you must) I recommend you give K&N a quick call. I believe you'll find their response echos my suggestion. Whatever you decide, best of luck, Ron
Old 09-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

Clean as clean can be.

I have two filters, and change them back and forth every few weekends at the track.
What you always leave out of these posts is that this is on a track only car that gets rebuilt regularly.

Advising someone to run these filters without oil and to clean them with compressed air is just plain irresponsible in my opinion.
Old 09-28-2010, 01:29 PM
had2have-it
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A new oem paper filter will flow more than a K&N, however with age and dirt the K&N will begin to outflow the paper unit. The oiled gauze filters main advantage is being able to be cleaned and reused. It should be lightly oiled after its cleaning and drying process.
Old 09-29-2010, 10:04 AM
tudland
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to steal the post but if you over oil the filter how do you clean the mess up?
Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Dave68
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 52 Posts

Use CRC MAF cleaner:

Get notified of new replies

To K&N Air filter

Old 09-29-2010, 10:58 AM
ztheusa
Melting Slicks

Received 368 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by ricknyc23
No benefits at all. Only cons:

More air=more dirt

Pretty simple, why change out your great filter for an inferior one. If you want more air, just take the filter out completely.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:24 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Mark C5
What you always leave out of these posts is that this is on a track only car that gets rebuilt regularly.

Advising someone to run these filters without oil and to clean them with compressed air is just plain irresponsible in my opinion.
I never advised, I just said that is what I do.

When I touch the paper, it still has some oil on it somewhat. Not dry paper. I dont oil them.

now, that said, how many guys over oil their filters ?

can I guess that just about everyone?

if I could find paper cone filters that fit my air box, I would get them, use them and toss them regularly

Have not looked in over a year, so there might be something out there.

IMO, take it or leave it, do not over oil your 'K&N' or any oil paper type filter. Which may be cause for some tb oil residue, not oil blow by.

Last edited by AU N EGL; 09-29-2010 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-29-2010, 11:41 AM
Mark C5
Melting Slicks

St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10

I never advised, I just said that is what I do.

When I touch the paper, it still has some oil on it somewhat. Not dry paper.
No paper in a K&N filter. They are made of cotton gauze. Maybe if you understood that you would understand why you need to oil them and should never clean them with compressed air.

how many guys over oil their filters?
I never have nor have any of my friends that run them. Maybe twenty people I personally know of.

can I guess that just about everyone?
This is America, you're free to guess whatever you wish .......... even when you're wrong.

Quick Reply: K&N Air filter