C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New LS2 402 - Cylinder wall toast? Pics included.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 01:08 AM
mowpow
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default New LS2 402 - Cylinder wall toast? Pics included.

I posted a couple weeks ago about an LS2 402 I bought still in the crate. Since it had some rust forming and was not sealed up, with the advice of folks on the forum I started tearing down the motor tonight to begin the cleaning process. Everything went great and I was all proud, and while taking photos, I noticed this little crack at the bottom of #8:

Is this something that is expected or is this block done for?

Thanks!
Jake
Old 09-29-2011, 03:55 AM
Qweklain
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not think it is done for, but I can not say for sure. It could probably be welded and re-honed to be just fine.

Is the crack actually on the wall or is it on the edge of the deck? Kind of hard to tell with the reflecting light and angle.
Old 09-29-2011, 06:15 AM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

If it's in the liner, take it to a machine shop and have them MagnaFlux it to make sure it's a crack and not a scratch. Even if it is a crack you can have a VERY GOOD machine shop replace the liner.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:43 AM
0C_Williams@RPM
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That looks like a crack ... have the block pressure checked

If it is a crack I suggest re-sleeving the entire block with Darton dry sleeves -- you will gain strength and reliability as the new liners are .625 longer -the proper he proper length to support your 4" stroke - and of superior material.

Originally Posted by mowpow
I posted a couple weeks ago about an LS2 402 I bought still in the crate. Since it had some rust forming and was not sealed up, with the advice of folks on the forum I started tearing down the motor tonight to begin the cleaning process. Everything went great and I was all proud, and while taking photos, I noticed this little crack at the bottom of #8:

Is this something that is expected or is this block done for?

Thanks!
Jake
Old 09-29-2011, 02:23 PM
mowpow
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks for all the responses, this is very helpful and makes me feel better considering this block has never even been fired up (all the assembly lube is still in place), I was pretty ticked off when I found it .

The crack is on the very edge between the cylinder and the deck where it starts curving. I'll take it to the machine shop and have them check it out. Should I bring pistons and crank too at this point in case they have to do major work and rebalance? This is my first machine shop visit so any guidance is appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake
Old 09-29-2011, 02:47 PM
Txsailor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they replace the liner they will want the piston to get the clearance right. No re balancing should be needed if it was done to start with.
Old 09-29-2011, 09:33 PM
WKMCD
Race Director

Received 73 Likes on 48 Posts

As C Williams - aka Charlie - said, Darton sleeves are definitely the best way to go if you have the budget. Expect to pay around $1,800.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:21 AM
Txsailor
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't messed with any of the aluminum block engines but a cylinder wall is a cylinder wall and that one doesn't have the proper cross hatch for the rings to seat. Find someone who is familiar with the LS platform and have him check it out. Even if the block/sleeve is ok it needs to be honed right.

Get notified of new replies

To New LS2 402 - Cylinder wall toast? Pics included.

Quick Reply: New LS2 402 - Cylinder wall toast? Pics included.