C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Tube failing? Metal shearing sound?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:40 AM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Torque Tube failing? Metal shearing sound?

The other day when I took my car out, when the revs would get about 2k, I could hear what sounded like metal shearing and it sounded like it was coming from the torque tube. It was about 30 degrees outside and after I had gone through the gears about 10-15 times, the sound was gone. Car is an 04 Z with 128k on it. Anyone heard anything like this before? I've been around cars all my life and have never heard this sound. It was directly proportional to the revs. If it Pushed in the clutch, the shearing sound went away. Which makes me think it's possibly the throwout bearing or the pilot bushing?
Old 12-28-2011, 11:26 AM
slowtealz28
Safety Car

Received 411 Likes on 309 Posts

My car had that problem. Would have vibration really bad in the shifter from 3500rpm til 4500rpm or so. Metal clanking/vibrating sound at idle and cruising. It was a bent TT.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:39 PM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by slowtealz28
My car had that problem. Would have vibration really bad in the shifter from 3500rpm til 4500rpm or so. Metal clanking/vibrating sound at idle and cruising. It was a bent TT.
Awesome! Just what I wanted to hear!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:17 PM
Eric D
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11

Can you post a recording of the noise? By your post my best guess would be the throw-out bearing. The key is when you push in on the clutch. Very typical for bad bearing.
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM
brrymnvette
Drifting

Originally Posted by Eric D
Can you post a recording of the noise? By your post my best guess would be the throw-out bearing. The key is when you push in on the clutch. Very typical for bad bearing.

Can't get a recording. Sound is to faint compared to the rest of the car noises. But I was thinking bearing too since it's proportional to the rev's and not speed.

Get notified of new replies

To Torque Tube failing? Metal shearing sound?

Quick Reply: Torque Tube failing? Metal shearing sound?