C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odd shift problem out of 1st

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 09:42 PM
menacebysociety
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd shift problem out of 1st

I searched, but couldn't find anything on this in particular. I have a 2000 6spd., stock clutch and trans., and Hurst shifter. It has about 50k on it.

At a stop sign today, as I was revving a bit and letting off the clutch to take off, it all of a sudden seemed like the clutch fully disengaged. I jerked forward hard, and heard a loud bang. It was like someone rear-ended me, though no one was behind me.

I pushed the clutch back in, shifted back to neutral, then back to 1st and took off fine. I took it easy, and had to hit maybe 6 more stops before I got back home. There were no other occurrences, and was no different feel to anything, such as clutch pedal or shifting.

I've had the shifter in for more than a year with no issues, and as far as I know the clutch, trans, etc. are original and stock. I've owned it for 3 years and put about 10k on it. It hasn't been to the track (with me, anyway), and while, of course, I get on it here and there, I wouldn't say it's been driven hard by any means.

Any ideas?

Last edited by menacebysociety; 04-07-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:48 AM
baxsom
Le Mans Master

Received 198 Likes on 118 Posts

wow
Old 04-07-2012, 10:45 PM
menacebysociety
Intermediate

Originally Posted by baxsom
wow
Yes ...but anyone have any info?
Old 04-08-2012, 05:16 PM
Paul 75 L82
Le Mans Master

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

I would start off with a clutch fluid change, at least the Ranger method.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:11 AM
jsbzoh6
Racer

I'm not sure if the Hurst unit is has a spring in it, but are you sure it didn't pop out of first and it just didn't return into neutral? I've not put it into 1st far enough and it made the exact symptom you describe. Scared the hell out of me, too.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 AM
johnson-rod
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 263 Posts

Originally Posted by Renxwar
I'm not sure if the Hurst unit is has a spring in it, but are you sure it didn't pop out of first and it just didn't return into neutral? I've not put it into 1st far enough and it made the exact symptom you describe. Scared the hell out of me, too.

I've done the same thing and I have a Hurst too.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:35 PM
menacebysociety
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Renxwar
Hmm, I suppose that's very possible. It's one of those things that I wasn't really paying attention to, so I can't not recall details. Then all of a sudden, I got my wake up call.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:44 PM
Turbopower87
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It sounds like the common popping out of 1st problem. It used to happen to me every once in awhile but I don't think it has happened in the 3 years and 40,000 miles of having a C6 shifter and box in. It does scare the crap out of you when it happens.
Old 04-10-2012, 06:52 PM
Rick@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 154 Likes on 115 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

What happens when it pops out of 1st gear is the fork pads are usually worn or squashed enough that the slider/synchro ring is not fully enagaged into 1st gear and when there is a load, it pops out. If this was the first time, it will get more frequent. I'm sorry to say but it's time for a rebuild.

Get notified of new replies

To Odd shift problem out of 1st

Quick Reply: Odd shift problem out of 1st