C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP: Shifted into "Park" but went into reverse! Now won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 11:23 PM
C5 CRUZR
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Shifted into "Park" but went into reverse! Now won't start.

Has this happened to anyone else? 2002 A4. Shifted into park. Let off brake. Car was in reverse! Noticed it right away. Applied brake to stop. :mad Then noticed that the shifter seemed to be off one or two positions. :rolleyes: Example: Park = Reverse. Between Park and Reverse = Neutral. Neutral = 3rd. I didn't shut it off. Instead I drove home carefully. (Wasn't sure what might happen next.) Shut off car at home. Now, of course, it won't start since I can't make it "think" that it's in Park. :cry

Mechanically the shifter feels almost normal (slight looseness). When in the Park position, it locks there as if the linkage is working properly; but, it is really in reverse. Anyway to fix this without having it hauled off to the dealer? :eek: :eek:
Old 06-15-2002, 11:40 PM
lotzahp
Melting Slicks

NCM Sinkhole Donor

Default Re: HELP: Shifted into "Park" but went into reverse! Now won't start. (C5 CRUZR)

happened to my 98 A4 a while back. The shifter cable bracket under the center console came loose, so the cable couldn't extend the correct lengths - thus the offset gear selection.

Slide the shifter back and forth (Park thru D1) and it may extend into Park for ya. Then call dealer for tow truck.
Old 06-15-2002, 11:43 PM
Mike Mercury
Team Owner

Received 174 Likes on 108 Posts

Default Re: HELP: Shifted into "Park" but went into reverse! Now won't start. (C5 CRUZR)

something in the linkage must of slipped. If you can get the car up enough, you can look at where the linkage is attached to the drivesr side of the tranny and see what might have went wrong.

Although I have never tried this on my Corvette, you might also be able to start the car in neutral... to get you by until it can be looked at
Old 06-16-2002, 10:49 AM
gasboy
Racer

Default Re: HELP: Shifted into "Park" but went into reverse! Now won't start. (Mike Mercury)

press firmly on brake pedal,turn key to start while moving the shifter through all positions.there will probably be a spot where it will start.
Old 06-16-2002, 11:31 AM
C5 CRUZR
Intermediate

Default Re: HELP: Shifted into "Park" but went into reverse! Now won't start. (gasboy)

Thanks for the suggestions. I would think that I should be able to locate the spot where the car "thinks" it's in Neutral; but, I've tried starting it throughout the entire range of shifter motion to no avail. Reckon that I'll call GM for a tow. :cuss
Old 06-16-2002, 11:47 AM
WALLstAL
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '05

Yep, tow truck time! :mad

Get notified of new replies

To HELP: Shifted into "Park" but went into reverse! Now won't start.

Quick Reply: HELP: Shifted into "Park" but went into reverse! Now won't start.