C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pull key wait 10 secs, service column lock.

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 03:01 PM
jpb1978
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Pull key wait 10 secs, service column lock.

When I bought my 04 Z06 6 months ago I was getting these messages. I purchased the column lock simulator and followed the instructions to install it. One step is to "find the four wires ( Black, Green, Orange , and Purple) running under the dash to their connector and unplug it. This is the steering lock Mechanism Connector." The next step says to plug into the removed connector, which I did. I then used the cigarette lighter adapter to unlock the steering wheel. Re assembled the dash and every thing was fine, or so I thought. After a while the Pull key and wait 10 secs message started appearing again, but the service column lock message did not, until this past weekend. On Sunday I got the service column lock message and my car would not move more than a few feet before the engine would cut off. I was more than 2 hours from home and this problem was now a solid failure.

I borrowed a 10 mm wrench and disconnected the battery, waited a while and hooked it back up, no good. I borrowed a 15 torx driver and took the knee bolster off and unplugged the simulator and hooked it back up to the lock, no good. I was really getting frustrated, it was Sunday afternoon and 95 degrees out. So I started checking more connections under the dash and found this, the item in the photos. It seem it is GM's version of a simulator and it had failed. When I put my simulator in, as directed, it went between this GM module and the lock, the GM module was first in line so my new simulator did nothing. Out of shear frustration I took it out, not knowing what it was, and hooked my simulator up, the car started, no messages and I drove home with the knee bolster in the back.

So the moral of this story is, if your car has ever been to a dealership for the messages you probably have this GM simulator in your car and it WILL let you down. If, like me you bought a car with several owners and you don't know the history you should assume you have one. If you installed a simulator and still get messages you may have the GM part in there, if you are getting the messages and you put a new simulator in your car take the time to look for the GM one because it will fail.

Photos of the failed GM fix,

GM column lock fix.

GM column lock fix PN.

Last edited by jpb1978; 06-14-2018 at 03:03 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:13 PM
Smoken1
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 971 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

That looks like the CLB, what you need is the LMC5 it goes down by the BCM

Quick Reply: Pull key wait 10 secs, service column lock.