C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Fluid / Brake Fluid Capacity

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2020, 11:48 PM
HisandHerZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Default Clutch Fluid / Brake Fluid Capacity

I cannot seem to find this answer anywhere. I am getting ready to replace my clutch (and completely flush the fluid) and then also flush my brake lines completely. I just have no idea how much fluid to buy. Any good approximates out there? thank you
Old 04-14-2020, 06:45 AM
k24556
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 205 Likes on 171 Posts

Well, to completely flush the system one to two quarts will do. The problem is you can't drain the front of the brake master, so you are stuck diluting what is there as you flush until everything is clean. If you have a scan tool and can do an automated ABS bleed, then then 2 quarts for sure.

IF you have a remote bleeder on your clutch, it takes a lot less, maybe 4 oz at the most. If you are using the "ranger method" then just a couple ounces. There will be lots of opinions about whether the Ranger method is effective. Probably there will be replies to this. My position is a remote bleeder is needed, and I put one on every manual trans C5/C6 I ever owned. What a pain to put one on a C6Z06, but worth it. C5's are easier, but a good sized job nonetheless to install a remote bleeder.
The following users liked this post:
HisandHerZ06 (04-14-2020)
Old 04-14-2020, 06:56 AM
HisandHerZ06
Burning Brakes

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by k24556
Well, to completely flush the system one to two quarts will do. The problem is you can't drain the front of the brake master, so you are stuck diluting what is there as you flush until everything is clean. If you have a scan tool and can do an automated ABS bleed, then then 2 quarts for sure.

IF you have a remote bleeder on your clutch, it takes a lot less, maybe 4 oz at the most. If you are using the "ranger method" then just a couple ounces. There will be lots of opinions about whether the Ranger method is effective. Probably there will be replies to this. My position is a remote bleeder is needed, and I put one on every manual trans C5/C6 I ever owned. What a pain to put one on a C6Z06, but worth it. C5's are easier, but a good sized job nonetheless to install a remote bleeder.
perfect answer.... thank you!

Car is going into the shop next week (clutch and exhaust) I will be adding the remote bleeder... I just wanted to make sure I had enough to do both brakes/clutch while it is getting worked on.

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Fluid / Brake Fluid Capacity

Quick Reply: Clutch Fluid / Brake Fluid Capacity