C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil leak ?? rear main seal??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2002, 12:12 PM
azarby
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil leak ?? rear main seal??

Had the car in to the local lube joint this week and they said that the rear of the engine is wet with oil. The said it could be a rear main seal. Is this a common problem and what does it take to fix it. I have an appointment with the local dealer for 1/6 to have them look at it. I have also been using about a quart of oil every 1200-1400 miles is this excessive? The car is a 2001 convertible.

Thanks
Bob
Old 12-26-2002, 12:25 PM
wwashing
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: oil leak ?? rear main seal?? (azarby)

This is the first rear main seal leak I've seen reported on this forum and I've been coming here since it began. Replacing the rear main seal calls for removing the engine.

Your oil usage is high. This is usually caused by ring flutter at high rpm under light load. The oil stains could have been caused by spillage during an oil change, if you are lucky? :cheers:
Old 12-27-2002, 10:02 AM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 657 Likes on 403 Posts

Never heard of anyone losing the rear main seal on an LS-1, but I'm sure it happens. I agree with the above--maybe it's just a spill? I'd clean it off really well and see what happens after a day.

As for oil usage, you are a little high and could probably get the new rings for free if you wanted them. If you do have a bad main seal, they could do the rings and the seal at the same time. Do you have an auto or manual trans?

Old 12-27-2002, 04:15 PM
ghost.rider
Drifting

Actually I did report a rear main seal repair on my 99 6 speed C5 back in March time frame. It had been leaking oil very slightly (1 qt every 2000 miles) since I took delivery and I finally took it in to Criswell before the warranty ran out. I know they had to pull the clutch etc. and unless that requires pulling the motor. I am pretty sure they did not remove the motor. The C5 tech said it is very rare for a C5 to leak oil - that it is a very tight engine - but mine did leak :sad: hasn't leaked a drop since the fix :cool: :yesnod: :lol:
Old 12-27-2002, 10:43 PM
azarby
Racer

Default Re: oil leak ?? rear main seal?? (Duck916)

Duck916

I have an automatic transmission and the car has 15k miles on it. I don't have the ability to put the car up on a rack or on jack stands, so I have to wait to get it to the dealer for them to take a look at it. They also would want to do an oil usage gtest before allowing a ring job. I just hope that it doesn't require an engine teardaown. This 2001 hasn't been too bad reliabilty wise, but has had a lot of body and paint problems. The only mechanical problems so far was an engine missfire problem caused by plugs, wires, coils, bad computer?? They couldn't be sure so they replaced everything associated with the two bad cylinders. Chevrolet bought back my 99 vert because of undiagnosable electrical problems, and I don't want to do that again.

Bob
Old 12-30-2002, 11:37 PM
Duck916
Team Owner

Location: Various places in California. Not currently aflame.
Received 657 Likes on 403 Posts

The reason I asked about the transmission is that A4s typically don't use as much oil as MN6s. I also figured a rear main seal might get some oil on the clutch, causing slippage, which would also help you diagnose the problem.

Since you should still be under warranty, it would appear you're gonna have to let the dealer look at it. Take heart, though--it shouldn't be nearly as tough to diagnose as the electrical problems.

Good luck.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:26 AM
Tom Hall
Drifting

Default Re: oil leak ?? rear main seal?? (Duck916)

The Cam sensor can leak and run down the back of the engine and look like a rear main leaking. Been there.
Old 12-31-2002, 04:46 AM
Austrian Vette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: oil leak ?? rear main seal?? (Tom Hall)

The Cam sensor can leak and run down the back of the engine and look like a rear main leaking. Been there.
Same here.
Old 01-06-2003, 04:15 PM
azarby
Racer

Default Re: oil leak ?? rear main seal?? (Austrian Vette)

Well, the verdict is in. The dealer was able to put the car up on the rack today and there is definitely a rear main seal leak. They also said that the oil consumption was due to bad rings and they are going to order out a set of rings and pull the engine for a ring job. That should take care of the main seal at the same time as they have to replace the seal anyhow. I thought that the ring problem was only with teh MN6. I was afraid that this was going to happen. My luck with Corvette reliability is getting pretty bad. Just hope that they can fix it. Don't want to attempt a second buyback. Not sure that they would even do that a second time as they would probably refuse to sell me another Vett.

Bob

:mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad :mad
Old 01-06-2003, 04:33 PM
LTC Z06
Get Some!

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Put a cam in while it's out. :cool:

[Modified by CPT Z06, 11:34 PM 1/6/2003]
Old 01-06-2003, 06:11 PM
pewterhdtop
Burning Brakes

Sorry to hear it is the rear main seal! My dealler gave me free oil changes for the first year, I took it in for the first (and only!) one and he told me the front main seal was leaking. Haven't heard of that happening very often either. Had them fix it and no issues.

They did manage to not tighten the oil filter properly, and it leaked oil on the exhaust system, smelled worse than it was. I now do all my own oil changes.

Good luck, I hope it is fixed right and soon! :cheers:
Old 01-06-2003, 08:03 PM
azarby
Racer

Default Re: oil leak ?? rear main seal?? (pewterhdtop)

If it was just a rear seal, i wouldn't be too upset. I don't care for the idea of having the whole engine torn down for a ring job. The last time I had that done was to a 1970 Pontiac Firebird Formula 400. The engine was just never the same after that. I know others have had it done and have been satisfied with the results, but I just don't trust the wrench monkeys they have working on cars nowdays.

Bob
Old 12-31-2020, 09:34 AM
captnorm
Cruising

Default oil leak c5 60k

About a year ago I had my local dealer repair a rear engine seal oil leak and pan gaskets. Not cheep at $2400. 4 days ago I noticed a small oil puddle (not just a small spot) on my garage floor. I assumed I would have to go back to the dealer prepared for a fight to correct the repair failure. However to my amazement no more oil has appeared on the floor. Where did that oil come from?
Old 12-31-2020, 03:52 PM
helga203
Safety Car

Received 440 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by captnorm
About a year ago I had my local dealer repair a rear engine seal oil leak and pan gaskets. Not cheep at $2400. 4 days ago I noticed a small oil puddle (not just a small spot) on my garage floor. I assumed I would have to go back to the dealer prepared for a fight to correct the repair failure. However to my amazement no more oil has appeared on the floor. Where did that oil come from?

Only thing i can think of is residue.
Old 12-31-2020, 06:49 PM
mmartinez
Melting Slicks

Received 533 Likes on 446 Posts

One of the main causes of oil leaks especially at the rear of the engine is the oil pressure sensor, it starts leaking and runs down the back of the engine.
Old 01-01-2021, 07:10 PM
Napoleon_Tanerite
Pro

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by mmartinez
One of the main causes of oil leaks especially at the rear of the engine is the oil pressure sensor, it starts leaking and runs down the back of the engine.
On a manual car it could be a leaking clutch slave cylinder. They're a VERY common failure point on all LS engines, and will cause a puddle on the ground right about in the same spot as a engine oil leak from the rear of the engine. I'd say step 1 would be to feel for any clutch issues and see if it's losing fluid in the clutch system.
Old 01-01-2021, 08:29 PM
captnorm
Cruising

This C5 is an automatic. A few more days have passed and still no evidence of an oil leak. Normally for a rear seal repair they pull the whole trans axial and drive shaft back. A big job which is why I paid to have it done. The two piece oil pan is another extra expense.

Get notified of new replies

To oil leak ?? rear main seal??

Quick Reply: oil leak ?? rear main seal??