C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kenwood Stereo Losing Bass

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 06:13 PM
rellz614
Heel & Toe

Received 30 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Kenwood Stereo Losing Bass

I have a Kenwood 4707S and a PAC bose integration wiring kit, as well as a powered subwoofer. Everything works great when I start the car and sounds amazing. However, after driving, sometimes for 20 minutes or so, and sometimes it works fine for a couple hours, but frequently it will lose all bass response. The subs in the doors and the powered sub both go off at the same time. The radio keeps playing but it's all tweeters. Back and front speaker still work.

Any suggestions on where I should start on this issue? I opened a case with Kenwood as well.

I thought at first it might be overheating, but I would think the whole stereo would turn off in that case. This also happened before I installed the powered subwoofer, so I know that's not the issue. And the powered sub is connected directly to the output jack of the Kenwood, so I can't figure out why it's dropping both the PAC and the Sub at the same time.

There is only one common connection between the two - the "power control" blue wire. I've confirmed that has a solid connection. And the sub is grounded completely separately from the PAC and Kenwood.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-20-2022, 09:35 PM
jdewolf
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The Bose amp/woofer would drop when you had the the stock HU or the Kenwood?
Old 10-20-2022, 10:09 PM
rellz614
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jdewolf
The Bose amp/woofer would drop when you had the the stock HU or the Kenwood?
I did not have any problems when I had the stock stereo system in.
Old 10-21-2022, 12:42 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 491 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Does the powered sub amp turn off when that happens? assuming there are light it shows it's powered on ?
Old 10-21-2022, 12:52 AM
jdewolf
Instructor

When the subs stops working do you still have 12v on your remote wire?
Old 10-21-2022, 01:30 AM
Vox Machina
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 72 Posts

How do you have everything wired? I'm assuming your aftermarket sub is hooked up to the sub RCA jack on the Kenwood deck, and you're sending full-range to the doors. Correct? Did you do the install or was it a shop?
Old 10-21-2022, 02:37 AM
rellz614
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vox Machina
How do you have everything wired? I'm assuming your aftermarket sub is hooked up to the sub RCA jack on the Kenwood deck, and you're sending full-range to the doors. Correct? Did you do the install or was it a shop?
I had a shop do the install, but it worked fine for a handful of months so believe everything is wired. Yes the powered sub connects to the RCA jack on the kenwood deck.

Yes, the light on the sub goes off when this happens. It's like the stereo just stopped sending a signal.

Old 10-21-2022, 02:37 AM
rellz614
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by corvettezman
Does the powered sub amp turn off when that happens? assuming there are light it shows it's powered on ?
yes the light on the powered sub goes off when this happens
Old 10-21-2022, 05:38 AM
corvettezman
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 889 Likes on 491 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '15, '16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by rellz614
yes the light on the powered sub goes off when this happens
Sounds like an issue with the deck itself or something is overheating and thermally shutting off the accessory power.
Since door and external subs are dying together, then you know the issue is with the blue wire power just timing out.
Not sure really why you would need both. Typically you use either or. Try disconnecting the door subs and see if the system survives on just external sub.
All you need is to disconnect the white connector behind the deck. This feeds the subs.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:21 AM
rellz614
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by corvettezman
Sounds like an issue with the deck itself or something is overheating and thermally shutting off the accessory power.
Since door and external subs are dying together, then you know the issue is with the blue wire power just timing out.
Not sure really why you would need both. Typically you use either or. Try disconnecting the door subs and see if the system survives on just external sub.
All you need is to disconnect the white connector behind the deck. This feeds the subs.
Is the deck "smart" enough to turn off the power to the accessories if I'm driving the door subs too hard? I would think it would turn off the entire stereo if there was an overheating issue. But good point about removing the bose integration from the equation and seeing what happens.
Old 10-21-2022, 01:25 PM
Vox Machina
Instructor

Received 157 Likes on 72 Posts

This isn't a thermal issue. This is something going wonky with the remote out on the deck. Could be an intermittent short, or a shoddy connection. But does explain your issue.

An easy fix would be to take the wires connected to the blue/white (one is turning on the base amps, the other is going to your aftermarket sub) and hook them up to the red wire. If the issue persists it's a connection issue somewhere, if it goes away its a radio issue.
The following users liked this post:
rellz614 (10-21-2022)
Old 10-21-2022, 02:06 PM
rellz614
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vox Machina
This isn't a thermal issue. This is something going wonky with the remote out on the deck. Could be an intermittent short, or a shoddy connection. But does explain your issue.

An easy fix would be to take the wires connected to the blue/white (one is turning on the base amps, the other is going to your aftermarket sub) and hook them up to the red wire. If the issue persists it's a connection issue somewhere, if it goes away its a radio issue.
Wow thank you - I assume I cannot leave them connected long term to the red wire because that's constant power, is that correct?
Old 10-21-2022, 02:13 PM
jdewolf
Instructor

Yellow is battery/constant. Red is accessory/ignition.
The following users liked this post:
rellz614 (10-21-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 09:50 AM
rellz614
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jdewolf
Yellow is battery/constant. Red is accessory/ignition.
I've decided that I'm going to hook just my powered sub to the red wire and see what happens. If the powered sub works but the bose integration stops then I know 100% it's the blue wire. Clarification - if I connect to the red wire, can I leave it like that permanently? I guess I don't really know the difference about leaving it connected permanently to the red instead of blue/white - what are the tradeoffs?

Get notified of new replies

To Kenwood Stereo Losing Bass

Quick Reply: Kenwood Stereo Losing Bass