C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Surging while driving!?!!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 02:50 PM
Racinman9
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Surging while driving!?!!?!

Guys
Im a newer member of the forum and new owner of a C5. I read a couple of days ago about a few of the members cars surging/ bucking while driving down the road. Well the bug has bit me as well. I checked all the connections to make sure there are know leaks on the intake side. The car finally threw a code, but me not having a Tech 2, Im not sure what it is. If anyone has input, or has had this happen and has some suggestion for me, I would gladly appriciate them.

Thanks for you help

Tony
Old 07-20-2004, 02:53 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

what all is done to the car? is it stock? I'm having the same prob but I think the cold air lid on mine is what is causing the prob
Old 07-20-2004, 03:18 PM
Racinman9
Advanced

Nothing has been done to the car. It has been lowered an inch, and new wheels and tires. Nothing else.
Does anyone know how to retrieve Codes from the DIC???
Old 07-20-2004, 03:22 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

I believe you hold down the options button and push the fuel button 5 times with in 10 seconds it is something like this. do a search and you will find it. It has been posted on here several times.
Old 07-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Tanner
Intermediate

Below is a good link to the instructions for getting the codes plus a list of the codes. Hope it helps.

http://www.stengel.net/diccodes.htm
Old 07-20-2004, 07:48 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,191 Likes on 1,588 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

TTT
Old 07-20-2004, 10:10 PM
Racinman9
Advanced

Tanner

Thank you for that valuble information. At this point, only reading codes, Im getting a P0107 Manifold Pressure (MAP) Sensor Circuit Low Voltage code. So Im not sure if water or moisture is getting in there to cause this or the sensor is starting to take a ****. If anyone now has insight on the new findings, let me know.

Thanks to all of you guys which have helped me out. Its greatly appriciated

Cheers
Tony
Old 07-20-2004, 10:31 PM
Vettlldo
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 00BlkFRC
what all is done to the car? is it stock? I'm having the same prob but I think the cold air lid on mine is what is causing the prob
Would changing the air box cause surging? Mine will surge on occasion and I was curious about this anomoly as well.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:51 PM
Z06Fix
Drifting

well mine was caused by the turbulance created by the hole I cut in the radiator shoud. I've been using the blackwing with the lid and have not been able to rid of the surging so I just took off the lid an now it's gone. One thing I have been told to look for is any leaks in the airflow path. if these are before the MAF they will cause the same turblance and give you some surging probs.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Racinman9
Advanced

Again I want to thank everyone for there help. I got the Map sensor code, I was lucky, and had an extra MAP sensor from my LS6 manifold i have, swap out the part and the surge has seemed to stop. The code as well erased itself after the standard 3 key cycles.

So if anyone has a surge issue, the MAP sensor may be the cause.

Thanks for everyones help again.

CHEERS!!

Tony
Old 07-22-2004, 05:23 AM
vetterdstr
Team Owner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CA Events Coordinator

Yes, on some cars changing the air box will cause surging. It happened to my car when I added a S/C... luckily we found the cure for that problem as well.

VR
Old 07-22-2004, 06:25 AM
AU N EGL
Team Owner

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe the car is surging cause it wants to RUN. Let the big dog BREATH and RUN ITS heart out.

Well maybe may be not. We have many ppl down south way here who have problems with their vettes. These ppl baby their cars like you would not believe. Finally some one told them to give it a good romp on some back roads and down the highway at 85+ then back on to some country roads and some twisties. After a few days of thrashing the car - no more problems.
Old 07-22-2004, 08:29 AM
CE2004
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Surging can be caused by an old fuel filter as well. If yours hasn't been changed in the last 12 months, try that first. It's easier to start with something simple and basic, before digging deeper into a problem.
Old 01-14-2021, 03:15 PM
El Mimo
3rd Gear

Default Question about the surging

Originally Posted by vetterdstr
Yes, on some cars changing the air box will cause surging. It happened to my car when I added a S/C... luckily we found the cure for that problem as well.

VR
Hi - after installing a supercharger I experienced a bog/loss of power followed by a huge burst of power this happened at random with it working as it should most of the time- it has been at the shop for 6 months and no one can diagnose! Ripping my hair out trying to solve this, was it the map sensor for you that fixed the surging after the supercharger?

Last edited by El Mimo; 01-14-2021 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-14-2021, 04:21 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,259 Likes on 1,805 Posts

Originally Posted by El Mimo
Hi - after installing a supercharger I experienced a bog/loss of power followed by a huge burst of power this happened at random with it working as it should most of the time- it has been at the shop for 6 months and no one can diagnose! Ripping my hair out trying to solve this, was it the map sensor for you that fixed the surging after the supercharger?

First off welcome to the Forum !!...second thing is to take your car elsewhere...if the shop can’t diagnose this after 6 months they should be in another business...they need to put a scope on the car and do some diagnostics...this isn’t a hard issue to diagnose !!
Old 01-14-2021, 06:24 PM
El Mimo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
First off welcome to the Forum !!...second thing is to take your car elsewhere...if the shop can’t diagnose this after 6 months they should be in another business...they need to put a scope on the car and do some diagnostics...this isn’t a hard issue to diagnose !!
Thanks for the welcome! Hoping to get this figured out- I took it to the shop where I bought the kit from -all they do is supercharged corvettes, I live in NJ do you know of a reputable place I could take it in the northeast?? I don't mind hauling it a few hours
Old 01-15-2021, 02:31 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the welcome! Hoping to get this figured out- I took it to the shop where I bought the kit from -all they do is supercharged corvettes, I live in NJ do you know of a reputable place I could take it in the northeast?? I don't mind hauling it a few hours
If you could have caught me 6 months ago when I was still living in NJ (Monmouth County) before I moved to Florida I would have been happy to look at it for you !!...where did you get your supercharger installed ??...there is Corvette Paramedics in Mount Holly (Burlington County)...this could be just a bad Throttle Position Sensor...have they looked at that ???

Last edited by C5 Diag; 01-15-2021 at 02:33 PM.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:29 PM
El Mimo
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
If you could have caught me 6 months ago when I was still living in NJ (Monmouth County) before I moved to Florida I would have been happy to look at it for you !!...where did you get your supercharger installed ??...there is Corvette Paramedics in Mount Holly (Burlington County)...this could be just a bad Throttle Position Sensor...have they looked at that ???
Oh damn that would have been perfect! I'm in Ocean County. I bought the kit from East Coast superchargers in cream ridge NJ-I brought it back to them in June and they couldn't find the issue. I know for sure they checked the grounds, plugs, wires, coil packs, tune ( they did the tune as well) i don't know of them changing sensors because it's not throwing a code. He said he has gotten the car to do the issue mostly when it's cold- will suddenly bog (like it's running on 4 cylinders) then surge (if you've given it gas) it doesn't happen often which makes it even harder to figure out. I will reach out to corvette paramedics and see if they have any ideas! I really appreciate the help-i need to get this figured out
Old 01-15-2021, 04:50 PM
C5 Diag

Support Corvetteforum!

Oh damn that would have been perfect! I'm in Ocean County. I bought the kit from East Coast superchargers in cream ridge NJ-I brought it back to them in June and they couldn't find the issue. I know for sure they checked the grounds, plugs, wires, coil packs, tune ( they did the tune as well) i don't know of them changing sensors because it's not throwing a code. He said he has gotten the car to do the issue mostly when it's cold- will suddenly bog (like it's running on 4 cylinders) then surge (if you've given it gas) it doesn't happen often which makes it even harder to figure out. I will reach out to corvette paramedics and see if they have any ideas! I really appreciate the help-i need to get this figured out

I know ESC does engine mods and tuning but diagnostics is a whole different animal !!..I don’t know if they diagnose using a scope but if they don’t use one while driving the car with it connected the best they can do is change parts. If you’re thinking your running on only 1 bank I’d look at this area on your left fuel rail at the rear...coil pack, injectors, and ECT sensor runs inside this wire harness...this area circled is an area on concern...see if you have any chaffed wires here...picture below. On my engine I installed another section of plastic loom in that area.

Get notified of new replies

To Car Surging while driving!?!!?!

Quick Reply: Car Surging while driving!?!!?!