C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic Selective Ride "Tour" vs "Sport" Mode

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 12:10 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

What VVette said is right on. For some reason it takes a few miles for the F55 system to "break in", or at least with my car it did. I have 2900 miles now, and can notice a big difference from the first few weeks. And the Z51 sway bars really help as well.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:32 AM
TRJ
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
True.. I was a non-believer (ok F55 guys, flame on) and adament that it was a scam..After 3,000 miles (but not before) I could feel the difference...VIVA la difference!!!!!!
One thing that I would like to add to the conversation about the F55 option....Some of you, and I, will be thinking of adding certain "mod's" to our cars, and therefore probably also thinking of having the car "Dyno'd" to check out the results. I have been thru this, so it's 1st hand info. and not heresay. The F55 adjustable shocks are very sensitive, that's why they work so well, but they don't get along with a dyno very well. Both of my F55 shocks began leaking badly, after 3 pulls on a dyno, and of course, stopped working. They both had to be replaced.....dealer cost is $900.00 each. This was on a '04 C5 with about 1500 miles on it. Just passing the info along, for what it's worth.
Best of luck...

Last edited by TRJ; 08-16-2005 at 01:35 AM.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 AM
ivan111
Drifting

Originally Posted by TRJ
One thing that I would like to add to the conversation about the F55 option....Some of you, and I, will be thinking of adding certain "mod's" to our cars, and therefore probably also thinking of having the car "Dyno'd" to check out the results. I have been thru this, so it's 1st hand info. and not heresay. The F55 adjustable shocks are very sensitive, that's why they work so well, but they don't get along with a dyno very well. Both of my F55 shocks began leaking badly, after 3 pulls on a dyno, and of course, stopped working. They both had to be replaced.....dealer cost is $900.00 each. This was on a '04 C5 with about 1500 miles on it. Just passing the info along, for what it's worth.
Best of luck...
So for heavy track use that would be a problem.......
Old 08-16-2005, 08:39 AM
xcutter
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by drtli
Got mine from Fitchner. Put on myself in about 30 minutes. There are instructions linked to in the FAQ. Very easy (need a torque wrench,tho)
Thanx, I may give it a shot.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:43 AM
V Vette
Le Mans Master

Received 671 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by TRJ
They both had to be replaced.....dealer cost is $900.00 each. Best of luck...
TRJ: Thanks..$900.00 EACH??? OMG, ouch!!!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:46 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by V Vette
TRJ: Thanks..$900.00 EACH??? OMG, ouch!!!
$3,600 to replace a set of shocks? If mine ever need replacing, the next owner will be telling everyone that he doesn't feel much difference between "Tour" and "Sport"
Old 08-16-2005, 02:14 PM
fts
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jschindler
Absolutely, no question about it. There is a very noticable difference. But what's really impressive is how you hit a big "dip" or "rise" in the road. You expect the aftershock, but instead the car immediately composes itself. Any one who doesn't believe how good it works has not spent enough time driving one.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:34 PM
Fozzy_Bear
Waka, Waka, Waka!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 4-6-8 & 10 Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Originally Posted by Miaugi
In 2003 when GM released the F55 they showed a Z06 and a MSR car going through a whoop de whoop at about 75 mph, the Z06 car literally left the ground...the F55 soaked it up and stayed composed. Of course race tracks don't have many whoop de whoop's....but the real does!
They play that video clip at the BG factory tour in the room you wait in to get in your groups. That is the reason I got an F55 on my last vette. That clip leaves little doubt as to how well that system works. I was very convinced.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:17 PM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by TRJ
Best of luck...
Thanks for the info.
I love the MSR in mine. A real difference. Now I feel a sway bar swap coming on soon.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:08 PM
Zachman
Advanced

Originally Posted by cmorris11
I agree. F55 is the best of both worlds. I like having the capability to "tighten" things up with Sport mode when intense cornering is needed. Since mine is my everyday ride, having the Tour mode is nice for the potholes.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:58 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Default Ah yes the high price of replacement

Consider that the shocks are covered under the 3 year warranty and after that figure the prices of these shocks to go down like everything else here that eventually becomes more available in other cars and more available / affordable. then again how much is one collision to you? Remember the F-55 also keeps all of those wheels planted on the ground how much is safety and comfort worth to you just once cause that is all that needs to happen just one time...
Old 08-17-2005, 09:38 AM
Wass
Melting Slicks

Received 140 Likes on 84 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'11

According to Jim Mero, a suspension engineer at G.M. who led the team that engineered the Corvette msrc system, the shock absorbers are so sturdy and simple that they should last the life of the car. Time will tell.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:44 AM
Scissors
☠☣☢ Semper Ebrius ☢☣☠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV-V-VI-VII Veteran
St. Jude's Donor '06

Originally Posted by TRJ
The F55 adjustable shocks are very sensitive, that's why they work so well, but they don't get along with a dyno very well. Both of my F55 shocks began leaking badly, after 3 pulls on a dyno, and of course, stopped working.
That makes absolutely no sense. There's nothing about a dyno that would be more destructive to a shock than driving all over bumpy roads. It sounds like your shocks were about to leak anyway and just chose that time to do it or had just started to go that day.

Edit: Also, they're chassis dynoed at the factory anyway.

Last edited by Scissors; 08-17-2005 at 02:06 PM.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:29 PM
SnakeEater
6th Gear

quick question for people who drove both vettes, with magnetic ride select and without magnetic ride select. Does the corvette without the magnetic ride select feel more like tour mode, or more like sport mode when driving it? thinking of trading 2005 and buying 2006 model and wondering if its worth $1700. (thanks in advance)
Old 08-17-2005, 02:34 PM
Flatbush_Harry

Drove an z51 w/ MN6 and one w/ MSRC before ordering. They were indistinguishable to me in normal driving although I'll stipulate to the superiority of z51 on the track (Corvette engineers certainly would have thought that through). I ended up getting F55 on mine, have been delighted with ride in Touring (w/ Mrs. Flatbush) and very pleased with stiffer response in Sport on mountain twisties here in Colorado.

Ultimately choice is probably based on how much of track and autocross you plan to do and your discretionary tire budget. As near as I can tell from reading, the oil cooler, etc is only needed for very high performance needs (i.e., track).

IMHO

Flatbush Harry
Old 08-17-2005, 04:19 PM
Low Rider
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

Default F55

Originally Posted by Miaugi
In 2003 when GM released the F55 they showed a Z06 and a MSR car going through a whoop de whoop at about 75 mph, the Z06 car literally left the ground...the F55 soaked it up and stayed composed. Of course race tracks don't have many whoop de whoop's....but the real world does!
As soon as I saw the video your talking about I knew I had made a mistake by not getting it on my 03......made up for it on my C6
Old 11-29-2019, 08:35 PM
Corvette_style
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by xcutter
I wasn't really all that convinced that there was much of a difference between the Tour and Sport modes on the Magnetic Selective Ride Control. Two days ago, I switched to Sport mode to see if I could notice a difference in the ride. I only went about a 1/2 mile and stopped to go in a store. When I got back to my car, I forgot I was in sport mode. I drove for a few miles and began thinking that the car seemed rather tight and the bumps were much more noticeable. The car had a whole different feel to it. I realized what was going on and switched back to Tour Mode. The car went back to a nice smooth ride. The Magnetic Selective Ride Control seems to be the best of both worlds. I am now convinced.

Hello,

I am new to the corvette life/experience, and have been reading different threads on the forum. Your input is very useful knowledge. I have a 2003 50th anniversary (C5), with the "Selective ride" feature. When changing from "tour" to "sport", is anything suppose to illuminate on the dash?

Regards,
Old 11-29-2019, 08:43 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,289 Likes on 941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Corvette_style
Hello,

I am new to the corvette life/experience, and have been reading different threads on the forum. Your input is very useful knowledge. I have a 2003 50th anniversary (C5), with the "Selective ride" feature. When changing from "tour" to "sport", is anything suppose to illuminate on the dash?

Regards,
Not on any of the C6s that I had that had that suspension.
Old 11-29-2019, 10:00 PM
Corvette_style
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Vette_DD
Not on any of the C6s that I had that had that suspension.
awesome, thank you !

cheers,

Quick Reply: Magnetic Selective Ride "Tour" vs "Sport" Mode