C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Unable to match new fob to my 07 -- What's the secret?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2007, 02:27 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,141 Likes on 1,278 Posts

Default Unable to match new fob to my 07 -- What's the secret?

I bought a new fob from Chevy for my 2007 coupe. I'm unable to match this new third fob to my car, although I've followed the instructions several times. When I go thru Step 5 (below), nothing happens; there is no message in the DIC saying the car is ready for the new fob. Is there something not obvious about this process. For Step 5 I first open the trunk with the metal key, then turn the metal key five times clockwise (seen as if you were lying on the pavement below the lock cylinder), but nothing at all happens. I've tried five twists of the metal key including opening the trunk, and in addition to opening the trunk. I checked that there was a battery inside the new fob and there is. What's the secret here?

The instructions for this procedure are on page 75 in the 2007 Owner's Manual: Matching Transmitter(s) to Your Vehicle

Each keyless access transmitter is coded to allow only transmitters programmed to your vehicle, to work. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased and programmed through your GM dealer. Your GM dealer can reprogram your vehicle so lost or stolen transmitters no longer work with your vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmitters matched to it.

To match a new transmitter to your vehicle when you have a recognized transmitter (two recognized transmitters are required for Canadian owners), do the following:

1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Have the recognized and new, unrecognized transmitters on your person.
3. Go to the rear of the vehicle and insert the vehicle key into the key cylinder located above the license plate. See Hatch/Trunk on page 83 for more information on the key cylinder.
4. Open the trunk.
5. Turn the key five times within five seconds.
6. The DIC will display READY FOR FOB #X, where X can be 2, 3 or 4.
7. Place the new, unrecognized transmitter in the glove box transmitter pocket with the buttons facing towards the passenger’s side.
8. Once the transmitter is programmed, a beep will sound. The DIC will display READY FOR #X, where X can be 3 or 4, or MAX # FOBS LEARNED.
9. Press the ACC button (ignition switch).
Old 03-04-2007, 02:30 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Did you get it programmed at the dealer first?Battery in it?
Old 03-04-2007, 03:19 PM
LouieM
Race Director

I believe that no "dealer programming" is required. As mentioned, there is a battery in the new fob.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,289 Likes on 941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Some here reported problems with the step where you turn the key in the lock 5 times. I don't remember what the solution was, other than to get the dealer to do it.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:32 PM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 674 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by LouieM
I bought a new fob from Chevy for my 2007 coupe. I'm unable to match this new third fob to my car, although I've followed the instructions several times. When I go thru Step 5 (below), nothing happens; there is no message in the DIC saying the car is ready for the new fob. Is there something not obvious about this process. For Step 5 I first open the trunk with the metal key, then turn the metal key five times clockwise (seen as if you were lying on the pavement below the lock cylinder), but nothing at all happens. I've tried five twists of the metal key including opening the trunk, and in addition to opening the trunk. I checked that there was a battery inside the new fob and there is. What's the secret here?

The instructions for this procedure are on page 75 in the 2007 Owner's Manual: Matching Transmitter(s) to Your Vehicle

Each keyless access transmitter is coded to allow only transmitters programmed to your vehicle, to work. If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be purchased and programmed through your GM dealer. Your GM dealer can reprogram your vehicle so lost or stolen transmitters no longer work with your vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four transmitters matched to it.

To match a new transmitter to your vehicle when you have a recognized transmitter (two recognized transmitters are required for Canadian owners), do the following:

1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Have the recognized and new, unrecognized transmitters on your person.
3. Go to the rear of the vehicle and insert the vehicle key into the key cylinder located above the license plate. See Hatch/Trunk on page 83 for more information on the key cylinder.
4. Open the trunk.
5. Turn the key five times within five seconds.
6. The DIC will display READY FOR FOB #X, where X can be 2, 3 or 4.
7. Place the new, unrecognized transmitter in the glove box transmitter pocket with the buttons facing towards the passenger’s side.
8. Once the transmitter is programmed, a beep will sound. The DIC will display READY FOR #X, where X can be 3 or 4, or MAX # FOBS LEARNED.
9. Press the ACC button (ignition switch).
Do you have a manual transmission? If so, try it again with the gear selector in reverse.
Old 03-04-2007, 08:47 PM
z06Bigbird
Safety Car

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Some dealers (even the service writer) will program the FOBs for free.

Ed
Old 03-04-2007, 10:07 PM
cosquare
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a new FOB and found by experiment that you need to use the #2 FOB to program the #3 FOB. Programing the #3 FOB worked fine once I discovered this and its is NOT in the users manual.
Old 03-05-2007, 04:05 AM
gota07
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Originally Posted by JimTN
Some here reported problems with the step where you turn the key in the lock 5 times. I don't remember what the solution was, other than to get the dealer to do it.
I recall that the solution was to make sure the key is getting turned all the way until it stops.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:10 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

I had a hard time myself but after several tries I think the key is to make sure both fobs are together "inside the car" during the programing. If one is in the slot in the glove box and the other is in your pocket I believe there is a problem. I recall I laid the original fob on the consol as the new one was in the slot during the programming process.

I also recall I had trouble turning the key "5 times in 5 seconds". I made sure I released the hatch first before I started the 5X step.

But eventually it worked and the newly purchased FOB 1 programs as a dupe FOB 1.

Good luck

Tom

Last edited by AFVETTE; 03-05-2007 at 11:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:44 AM
ben dover
Team Owner

Location: When all is said and done... there is a hell of a lot more said than done. Riverside,Texas
Received 139 Likes on 128 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Friend of mine had this problem and we decided he was actually turning the key too fast (to beat the deadline). Slowed down and made more deliberate turns and cured the problem. Hope this solves your problem.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:54 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Thanks for the many helpful suggestions. I'll go out later this morning and give it another try, and report back.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Unfortunately, none of the suggestions helped. I'll go by the dealer tomorrow and see if they'll give me more clues into this mysterious process, or do the job. More digital disappointment....
Old 03-05-2007, 06:09 PM
Cursillo86
Advanced

I had the same problem as you. I put the fob that works inside the car. Then I turned the key with the learning fob to open the hatch. Next I did the five turns of the key trick. Then put the learning key in the glove box slot. For some reason, then it worked. You have probably done this, but it did not work for me until I had the working fob already inside the car. Good luck!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 PM
HOUTEX
Advanced

Default key fob

keep the #2 in the car, pop the trunk first , then turn 5 times...seemed popping the trunk first then the turning did the trick for me..
Old 03-05-2007, 07:00 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Thanks for the two latest suggestions. I'll try them in a short while. I'll look in the manuall again, maybe I'm supposed to pat the top of my head while rubbing my stomach, while turning the key
Old 03-05-2007, 07:47 PM
LouieM
Race Director

Well, neither of the two latest suggestions worked either, after several attempts. Sigh..... Maybe I should have been humming "Melancholy Baby" while turning the key? And tapping out a tattoo with my right shoe on the garage wall? I'll go to Boardwalk Chevy tomorrow morning, maybe I can see a service writer go thru those moves instead of me.

In case anyone cares, I'd rather have a simple metal key only, not a fob; or what the Miata has, either a silly push button OR a metal key will work, depending on owner preference. The Miata owner I know laughed himself silly when he had the push button explained to him, and he tossed the fobs into a deep drawer, never to be unearthed until he extolls the virtues of the pushbutton start in a few years to the guy he's selling the car to.

I'll report back on what the dealer says/does.
Old 03-05-2007, 08:23 PM
WMark
Melting Slicks

Received 172 Likes on 111 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

Default No Luck Here

I've followed all of the above advice. Tried a dozen times, and I can't get the dang thing to work either. Off to the dealer. Need a few minor warranty things done anyway...

Who designed this setup? Microsoft?? At least the car didn't crash while I was turning the key five times...

Get notified of new replies

To Unable to match new fob to my 07 -- What's the secret?

Old 03-06-2007, 12:23 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Originally Posted by WMark
Who designed this setup? Microsoft??
Old 03-06-2007, 04:34 AM
shopdog
Race Director

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You have to turn the key fully five times in five seconds to make it work. Turn it to a hard stop, not just to where it would open the hatch. This has caught a lot of people.
Old 03-06-2007, 10:31 AM
torquetube
Le Mans Master

Received 674 Likes on 491 Posts

I wasn't able to get it to work on my '06 MN6 car until a service writer pointed out that manual transmission cars had to be in reverse (nothing to do with the '05 reverse-to-shutdown rule). That did the trick, and I was able to program 2 extra fobs.

Quick Reply: Unable to match new fob to my 07 -- What's the secret?