C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cover Still blowing Off

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2007, 04:20 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Cover Still blowing Off

Since my car is stored outdoors, I keep a car cover on it virtually all the time... lately, it has been blowing off more and more and it is drivign me nuts. I dont keep a lock and cable on it, but i dodnt think that would solve the problem because the cover usually blows off the rear first and it gets caught on the mirrors.

I have tried using clips to hold the edge of the material to the exhaust tips . I put a clip on each tip (4 altogether) and it is still flying off.

Can anyone recommend a clip that has a very tight hold?

Clothepins are not doing the job.
Old 06-28-2007, 04:38 PM
hazchris
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

PM pipedreams, I think he may have a trick up his sleeve for this problem
Old 06-28-2007, 04:44 PM
NOCRISIS
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

there is 4 grommets on the bottom of my cover.2 just ahead of the rear wheels and 2 just behind the front wheels.I use 4 bungy cords,they go around the spoke and attach to the grommets in each of the 4 corners.Has not blown off!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:22 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

sounds like a good plan, but i only have the 2 grommets for the cable that are near the front wheels.

Originally Posted by NOCRISSS
there is 4 grommets on the bottom of my cover.2 just ahead of the rear wheels and 2 just behind the front wheels.I use 4 bungy cords,they go around the spoke and attach to the grommets in each of the 4 corners.Has not blown off!
Old 06-28-2007, 05:51 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Credit goes to Craigster05 for this one, a few of the locals have it and love it. Regardless of the grommets they don't prevent the corners from lifting but this does. Like I said Craigster05 came up with the solution I just added the tail for easy attachment. Three guys on Long Island have had them on over the winter and they work. Only needs one person to install in 3 minutes. Can be stored in the rear storage taking up litte space. Have not had much time to market this but if we get 10 orders I will build them. I am using a material that is a few levels above what you find in the home stores. This stuff is UV stable, retains stretch and is salt and moisture proof with much better than normal temp range. $36 + shipping (email me) they are not on my site. Now that you see the idea you can also build one youself.

Last edited by Pipedreams; 06-28-2007 at 06:08 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 07:28 PM
calemasters
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can have an upholstery shop stitch in some agressive elastic material at all 4 corners. The cover will retain better due to the tighter fit. More tension in the elastic.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:00 PM
glennhl
Le Mans Master

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My lightweight silver cover blew off all the time. It also got so hot during the summer I could barely stand to take it off the car.

So I bought a tan flannel cover from Zip Products on this site. It is a heavier fabric, fits great, and has never blown off even in 40 mph winds.
Old 06-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by calemasters
You can have an upholstery shop stitch in some agressive elastic material at all 4 corners. The cover will retain better due to the tighter fit. More tension in the elastic.
Actually I will disagree on this one, unless you are going to install a gripper material on the inside of the corver in the corners the car is too slick and with the lack of any sort of a ridge in any of the corners the cover will still lift and slip off IMO. Look at the pictures and you can see the cover is well tucked under the corner and still slipped up

Last edited by Pipedreams; 06-28-2007 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:46 PM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

not sure i get it - how does it secure to the car/cover ?

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
Credit goes to Craigster05 for this one, a few of the locals have it and love it. Regardless of the grommets they don't prevent the corners from lifting but this does. Like I said Craigster05 came up with the solution I just added the tail for easy attachment. Three guys on Long Island have had them on over the winter and they work. Only needs one person to install in 3 minutes. Can be stored in the rear storage taking up litte space. Have not had much time to market this but if we get 10 orders I will build them. I am using a material that is a few levels above what you find in the home stores. This stuff is UV stable, retains stretch and is salt and moisture proof with much better than normal temp range. $36 + shipping (email me) they are not on my site. Now that you see the idea you can also build one youself.

Old 06-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Pipedreams
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

Originally Posted by vette-oholic
not sure i get it - how does it secure to the car/cover ?
The reason the cover blow off is wind inflates the cover and the cover lifts. This prevents the cover from 1 inflating and 2 lifting
Old 06-29-2007, 10:57 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

I understand, but im more interested in how you put your product on?
Is it one continuous loop? Does it have to attach to part of the cover or car? why does it take 3 minutes to put on? (seems like it would take 30 seconds?)

thanks.

Originally Posted by Pipedreams
The reason the cover blow off is wind inflates the cover and the cover lifts. This prevents the cover from 1 inflating and 2 lifting
Old 06-29-2007, 11:11 AM
Pipedreams
Race Director

St. Jude Donor '06-'07

I understand, but im more interested in how you put your product on?
Is it one continuous loop? Does it have to attach to part of the cover or car? why does it take 3 minutes to put on? (seems like it would take 30 seconds?)

thanks.
sure you could do it in 30sec. The short tail hooks under the rear valence (holds it in place), drape it over the top, secure it over the front and then secure the back, done
Old 06-29-2007, 11:12 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

sounds like a good plan, but i only have the 2 grommets for the cable that are near the front wheels.
You can purchase 10 grommets and a grommet setting tool from Tandy Leather for $4.50.

You can install as many grommets as needed to secure your cover.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:32 AM
stroked250
Drifting

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

A loose cover blowing in the wind will rub away at your finish. Make sure to keep her waxed really well. I see this happen on boats once in a while with shoddy covers.

I don't think I would cover the car outside because of this. I am no expert, but it's food for thought.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

Originally Posted by stroked250
A loose cover blowing in the wind will rub away at your finish. Make sure to keep her waxed really well. I see this happen on boats once in a while with shoddy covers.

I don't think I would cover the car outside because of this. I am no expert, but it's food for thought.
Excellent point.

The cover should be form fitting.

I know a guy who trailered his bike with a cover on it and by the time he got to his destination the cover had scarred the tank paint.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:43 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

then you need to make holes in the cover?

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
You can purchase 10 grommets and a grommet setting tool from Tandy Leather for $4.50.

You can install as many grommets as needed to secure your cover.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,969 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Most of that is true, but in the case of wind, dirt, sand, grit, pollen, tree sap, and all the other flying crap in the air (even birdy stuff ), a car cover is still better than leaving it without.

I'm not even including ultraviolet, sun-bleaching, rain, acid rain, snow, hail, etc.. Needless to say, those last 6 have a negative effect on the paint as well, maybe even more than a slight rubbing from a car cover.

Get notified of new replies

To Cover Still blowing Off

Old 06-29-2007, 11:46 AM
vette-oholic
Melting Slicks

I understand the risk of the cover marring the surface, but I think it will just make light scratches in the clear coat, which i can always buff out later. My main purpose of the cover is to:

1. less car washing
2. To make the car not stand out so much
3. If another car door 'dings' into the side of the car, paint will be protected and no damage done.

Old 06-29-2007, 11:47 AM
ProfMoriarty
Team Owner

then you need to make holes in the cover?
For fabric it's just a matter of nicking the cloth and placing the male grommet through the opening, then setting it with the tool. For leather, you would want to punch a hole.

I've done it for flags, leather, etc.

Piece o' cake.

The grommets won't contact the paint so there is no issue with scratching. However, if you're concerned about that you can cover it with a piece of tape, self-adhesive felt, etc. with a hole punched in it.

Last edited by ProfMoriarty; 06-29-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 07-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Craigster05
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07-'08-'09-'11-'12

Originally Posted by ProfMoriarty
For fabric it's just a matter of nicking the cloth and placing the male grommet through the opening, then setting it with the tool. For leather, you would want to punch a hole.

I've done it for flags, leather, etc.

Piece o' cake.

The grommets won't contact the paint so there is no issue with scratching. However, if you're concerned about that you can cover it with a piece of tape, self-adhesive felt, etc. with a hole punched in it.
Id rather tie my sneakers and get moving rather than sit and lace my boots. That's what made me think of this.

Depending on where you put these grommets, they can contact and scratch the paint from movement or being dragged across the surface if you aren't careful applying the cover. Thats why Coverking sews an extra flap of Tyvek material behind the one set of factory installed grommets, so that it does not scratch.

Additionally, the extra time and effort trying to pull multiple cords across the bottom of the car is a real pain. You have to lean under the car, throw it to the other side (if you make it), then reach under the car with a hook or something to pull it out, thread it, tie it, and hope you do all the spots evenly so as not to stress the seams or grommet so the material doesn't wear or tear. A windy day makes this even more difficult, as does the low clearance of the Corvette.

But even more importantly, as a few people (myself included) have found out, cutting or punching a hole in the cover in any way can void the warranty completely.

The bungee cord allows one person to secure the cover from blowing off in about 30 seconds or so with damaging it or risking the warranty. It works well for me and has kept the cover in place in 60+mph winds, and my paint condition speaks for itself.

Quick Reply: Cover Still blowing Off