C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TEST DATA here for: C5 Z06 vs LS2 vs LS3.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 07:40 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1LT1
You may be right but be careful, if we're going to start questioning/doubting the validity/global accuracy of 'forum member track times' then we have to question ALL of the posted results, the new LS3 times included.
I don't so much question the accuracy of the times that 98% of forum members post. But I think there is room to question the talent that they possess, the conditions they are driving in, and even if there might be some mild "tweaking" of their car.

I'm not implying that is the case with the well known people on this forum, but maybe on some people who come and go on the forum.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:22 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jschindler
I don't so much question the accuracy of the times that 98% of forum members post. But I think there is room to question the talent that they possess, the conditions they are driving in, and even if there might be some mild "tweaking" of their car.

I'm not implying that is the case with the well known people on this forum, but maybe on some people who come and go on the forum.
One thing that always seems to be left out when comparing track times with experienced drag racers is the existence of some above average vehicles. Hence you can't compare a great running C5 Z06 with an average running LS3. Its bound to be quicker or at the lease very close in performance. Wait until more of the LS3's get to the strip and the better then average ones reveal their times with the experienced drivers.
Old 08-17-2007, 08:53 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shockwave
One thing that always seems to be left out when comparing track times with experienced drag racers is the existence of some above average vehicles. Hence you can't compare a great running C5 Z06 with an average running LS3. Its bound to be quicker or at the lease very close in performance. Wait until more of the LS3's get to the strip and the better then average ones reveal their times with the experienced drivers.
By that, I assume you mean that some LS3's will be stronger than others. While I can't prove it, I don't believe that in todays engines we have that kind of variance. For one, machining processes are very precise. Secondly, with electronics controlling everything the engine does, and the very strict EPA requirements, I just don't believe there is any variance to speak of at all - unless it's been tweaked.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:01 AM
2th farmer
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CI 6-8-9 Veteran

Interesting numbers. I have owned an 03 Z and bought an 07 coupe this Spring. I LOVED my Z but this car is soooo much better. Most of these #'s are worthless for the "average" vette driver. These cars will ALL outperform most of our abilities and street conditions.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:05 AM
shockwave
Melting Slicks

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

By that, I assume you mean that some LS3's will be stronger than others. While I can't prove it, I don't believe that in todays engines we have that kind of variance. For one, machining processes are very precise. Secondly, with electronics controlling everything the engine does, and the very strict EPA requirements, I just don't believe there is any variance to speak of at all - unless it's been tweaked.
Can't agree...I see it at the strips all the time. There are still differences. The standard deviation maybe less then in the early days but none the less it is still there. Have witnessed shared C5 Z06's with the same driver on the same day with significantly different times. Not talking about bad 60 foot times or missed shifts. Some vehicles of the same vintage are simply faster then others.

In any event, you did a great job in tabulating the results you provided in your earlier post. I found it very informative and don't want this discussion to taint it in anyway...

I guess the main thing I would like to emphasize is when I see times posted by an experienced driver who removes his air cleaner, puts the ice on the intake, does all the right stuff and turns a nice 11.99-12.2 et and then posts a comparison to a shiny new LS3 from a magazine road test that turns a 12.4. Its just not an apple to apple comparison.

Last edited by shockwave; 08-17-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:09 AM
rumtum
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

...They actually tested three LS2s, but one was a convertible (I do have that data)...
Could you post the convertible numbers? Since I have one...I would like to know how much different it is from the coupes. I know the vert is heavier and the roof causes more drag...but your numbers might help me quantify it.

Thanks...
Old 08-17-2007, 09:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by shockwave
Can't agree...I see it at the strips all the time. There are still differences. The standard deviation maybe less then in the early days but none the less it is still there. Have witnessed shared C5 Z06's with the same driver on the same day with significantly different times. Not talking about bad 60 foot times or missed shifts. Some vehicles of the same vintage are simply faster then others.

In any event, you did a great job in tabulating the results you provided in your earlier post. I found it very informative and don't want this discussion to taint it in anyway...
Because someone runs faster at the local dragstrip you are assuming his car has more horsepower?

You will not taint the discussion - but I appreciate you saying that. I come from the school that two people can disagree and argue a point and still be friends as long as we don't make our comments personal attacks. I can assure you that 99% of the people on this forum would like me if they got to know me in person. The other 1% are jerks
Old 08-17-2007, 09:17 AM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Old 08-17-2007, 09:20 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rumtum
Could you post the convertible numbers? Since I have one...I would like to know how much different it is from the coupes. I know the vert is heavier and the roof causes more drag...but your numbers might help me quantify it.

Thanks...
0-60 in 4.3
0-100 in 10.1
1/4 mile at 12.8 at 112.

I've owned identical C5 coupe and convertibles, and I've owned two C6 coupes and one C6 convertible. I've had them all to the dragstrip and I find virtually no performance difference that can be attributed to them being a coupe or convertible. I have some pretty good data to back this up, btw. The weight difference is only 20#s. So I think the difference in Car & Drivers test can be attributed to conditions or driver variance. If C&D would post 60' times we could learn a lot more about the relevance of their published times. Also, I've read that they correct for weather - but I'm never sure. They also post the weather conditions they run in. I don't know why they would to that if they are correcting.

Last edited by jschindler; 08-17-2007 at 09:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2007, 09:21 AM
slamar1
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Nice post Its good to see some numbers side by side.

Of course you knew there'd be alot of
Old 08-17-2007, 09:36 AM
rumtum
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

0-60 in 4.3
0-100 in 10.1
1/4 mile at 12.8 at 112.
Thanks for the numbers. I was curious to see what C&D said.

I love the SOTP feeling no matter how the numbers came out.
Old 08-17-2007, 10:27 AM
C6~Missle
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by 2th farmer
Interesting numbers. I have owned an 03 Z and bought an 07 coupe this Spring. I LOVED my Z but this car is soooo much better. Most of these #'s are worthless for the "average" vette driver. These cars will ALL outperform most of our abilities and street conditions.
Well said
Old 08-17-2007, 11:16 AM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rumtum
Thanks for the numbers. I was curious to see what C&D said.

I love the SOTP feeling no matter how the numbers came out.
I can't post how I know this due to forum rules, but I have first hand experience "comparing" the convertible I just traded to more than one C6 coupe - all with Z51 and manual transmissions. Believe me when I tell you that you are not giving up any performance in a convertible
Old 08-17-2007, 12:04 PM
bernrex
Safety Car

Nice data to chew on. What we now need is some of you LS3 owners to run your cars for time ... and post results here.

Everyone knows we can run quicker times than the mags.

Also, someone here at forum should now own both C5Z and '08 C6 cars .....

Perhaps they will give us a track review

The basic math, until proven otherwise .... LS7 > LS6 > LS3 > LS2

Old 08-17-2007, 01:42 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by bernrex
Nice data to chew on. What we now need is some of you LS3 owners to run your cars for time ... and post results here.

Everyone knows we can run quicker times than the mags.

Also, someone here at forum should now own both C5Z and '08 C6 cars .....

Perhaps they will give us a track review

The basic math, until proven otherwise .... LS7 > LS6 > LS3 > LS2

At the dragstrip, maybe. From a roll you need to move the LS6 down a notch. And I'm not guessing at that
Old 08-17-2007, 01:50 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Because someone runs faster at the local dragstrip you are assuming his car has more horsepower?

You will not taint the discussion - but I appreciate you saying that. I come from the school that two people can disagree and argue a point and still be friends as long as we don't make our comments personal attacks. I can assure you that 99% of the people on this forum would like me if they got to know me in person. The other 1% are jerks
I like you.
Old 08-17-2007, 02:26 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Jim, you should have titled this thread "Shindler's List"

Sorry, it was just too easy. You can put me down in the 99 percentile.

Get notified of new replies

To TEST DATA here for: C5 Z06 vs LS2 vs LS3.....

Old 08-17-2007, 02:57 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Originally Posted by GotVett?
I like you.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Cjunkie
Melting Slicks

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

At the dragstrip, maybe. From a roll you need to move the LS6 down a notch. And I'm not guessing at that
according to that graph even the "from a roll" theory is kinda mute on the LS6 vs the LS3 look at 60 mph to 130, your talking 3 tenths difference...in real world terms we use that like a "bumper" or MAYBE by a "fender" and i hate the term "drivers race" but that race would clearly be whoever gets the "jump" and thats it.......the grapg show a bit of an advantage to the LS3 way on top end, maybe the old saying "no replacement for displacement?"
Old 08-17-2007, 03:42 PM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Quick Reply: TEST DATA here for: C5 Z06 vs LS2 vs LS3.....