C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Erased all fob's from memory and car wont start!(long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 02:39 AM
C6Longshot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Erased all fob's from memory and car wont start!(long)

Ok- So I am aware that I am officially the worlds dumbest idiot. I erased all of my fob's from memory and lost power to the car before I could program a new one- now I cannot start or do anything with my car!!!

Here is the long story- a couple months ago, I lost my # 1 transmitter. I have been using my #2 transmitter since. So, I recently go and buy and additional transmitter. I thoroughly read the posts concerning fob reprogramming, read the owners manual, and thought I understood everything well. SO, Since I had lost my #1 fob, I wanted to program the new FOB as #1, rather than #3.

I followed the more time consuming steps of the longer reprogram (3 cycles of 10 min each) that erases all fobs from memory and allows all slots to be re-paired with a transmitter. I started the car, put it in reverse, shut it down, and then put my new transmitter in the glovebox cubby. I then immediately removed all active transmitters from reception range, opened the trunk, and cycled the key five times.

I see the ACESSORY TO LEARN message on the DIC- perfect! The procedure calls for 3 cycles of button pushing, and at the end of the third cycle, all previous fobs are erased from memory and you are prompted to pair transmitter 1, 2,3, and 4 (if needed) in sequence.

Well, I had just started sequence three- 9 minutes to go- and I get a phone call. I kind of got wrapped up in conversation, and realized about 20 min later that I had forgot to go check on it. Well, I returned to find the DIC completely dark. So, I get in with both fobs and hit the start button- and I get the no fobs detected message. I use only 1 fob inside the car in the cubby at one time, still won't start- just the damn no fobs detected message.

At this point in my wisdom I decided to open the service manual I have for the car-and I know I should have done this to begin with- sure enough it mentions that a button on the transmitter must be pushed during fob learning to complete pairing.

So, I am pretty sure that at this point, my car will not start because no fobs are matched to it, and I cannot match a new transmitter to it since I need a working fob to start the car and then shut it down to enter OFF mode!!

The manual mentions another reprogramming method using techline terminal and scan tool, so I guess I will have to flatbed the car to the dealer to get reprogrammed. I am an idiot. I am more worried about towing the car than anything. I wish the dealer could send a tech with a PC and scan tool and make a housecall!

For all of you upgrading to 2008 fobs, learn from my mistake and make sure you complete the learning process in its entierty and don't lose power!
Old 08-31-2007, 02:53 AM
SunsetOrangeCreations
Melting Slicks

Location: Exhaust Commander Wireless Bi-Mode Exhaust Controllers, Innovative and advanced technology! --- Check out our website @ www.sunsetorangecreations.com
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Did you try and do the key cycle thing again.

I think you can program fobs if you dont have one. Thats what that procedure is for.

You dont need any fobs to do the relearn procedure, just the key and the unrecognized fob. Thats why its dangerous to have the key in the car. Anyone with a fob and the time can program a fob to the car an then start it.

Try the key cycle thing again and dont get distracted this time!
Old 08-31-2007, 09:02 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,695 Likes on 1,667 Posts

Originally Posted by SunsetOrangeDream
Did you try and do the key cycle thing again.

I think you can program fobs if you dont have one. Thats what that procedure is for.

You dont need any fobs to do the relearn procedure, just the key and the unrecognized fob. Thats why its dangerous to have the key in the car. Anyone with a fob and the time can program a fob to the car an then start it.

Try the key cycle thing again and dont get distracted this time!
I don't think that will work. If it would, all it would take would be a blank fob and a key to steal the car. Easy to buy a fob and the key is nothing special that a locksmith can't make.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:32 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I don't think that will work. If it would, all it would take would be a blank fob and a key to steal the car. Easy to buy a fob and the key is nothing special that a locksmith can't make.
I don't know about that. Its not as easy to have one of those keys made as you might think.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561597905

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ey+replacement

At any rate, I would give SunsetOrangeDream's suggesstion a shot before I would have it flatbedded to the dealership.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-31-2007 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:41 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
I don't know about that. Its not as easy to have one of those keys made as you might think.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...post1561597905

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ey+replacement

At any rate, I would give SunsetOrangeDream's suggesstion a shot before I would have it flatbedded to the dealership.
Respectfully, I didn't claim it was easy, I claimed a locksmith would make one. See this thread:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=key+blanks

The blank apparently is a Hillman B-106. All that said, the OP should indeed try the proceedure. I just don't think that it will work - because of what is described in the SM. Just my .02 - no intent to start an argument.
Old 08-31-2007, 09:45 AM
C6Longshot
Instructor

Ugh. Yes, I have re-tried the key cycle MANY times. I actually have a blister on my hand from turning the key so many times.

Before I started the procedure, simply turning the key would not put the vehicle into learn mode. Based off other posts I tried the start-reverse-shut down method, then turned the trunk key immediately after shutting down the vehicle and it worked every time. Doing this was the only way to get it into learn mode.

I think that the instructions in the owners manual are a little misleading. They start with "make sure the car is off" instead of "with the car running, shut it off". If you read the steps in the GM service manual, the first step is "shut the car off" implying that it was running to begin with.

Beyond that, there is a small paragraph in the service manual that mentions the shutdown while running procedure (not specifically for fob relearning). It states that this method is necessary so that the data bus between different control modules is active, and that the bus will shut down after the 20 min inactivity time out.

I really think I am screwed, although if someone else has a suggestion that works, you will be my hero.

Looking forward to the inevitable- how should I have this towed to the dealership? Obviously, a flat bed is required. But where should the flatbed attach the winch to my car to load it? One of the suspension control arms? I don't see a good place, and the owners manual has virtually nothing about towing precautions. I am planning on calling GM roadside service for the tow and praying it is covered under warranty somehow.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:06 AM
shortski
Drifting

Two questions:

1. Are you putting the unrecognized transmitter in the pocket prior to putting the car in the learn mode.

2. After step 15 are you leaving the transmitter in place until you get the second beep and the ready for fob 2 message.

From the 2005 owner manual:

United States owners are permitted to match
a new transmitter to their vehicle when a recognized
transmitter is not available. The procedure will require
three ten minutes cycles to complete the matching
process. Do the following:

1. The vehicle must be off.

2. Place the new, unrecognized transmitter in the
glove box transmitter pocket with the buttons
facing towards the passenger’s side.

3. Go to the rear of the vehicle and insert the vehicle
key into the key cylinder located above the license
plate. See Hatch/Trunk on page 2-14 for more
information on the key cylinder.

4. Open the trunk.

5. Turn the key five times within five seconds.

6. The DIC message will display OFF-ACCESORY
TO LEARN

7. Press the ACC button (ignition switch).

8. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will
count down to zero, one minute at a time.

9. The DIC will display OFF-ACCESSORY TO
LEARN again.

10. Press the ACC button (ignition switch).

11. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will

12. The DIC will display OFF-ACCESSORY TO
LEARN again.

13. Press the ACC button (ignition switch).

14. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will

15. A beep will sound and the DIC will read READY
FOR FOB #1. At this time, all previously known
transmitters have been erased.

16. Once the transmitter is recognized and
programmed, a beep will sound and the DIC will
display READY FOR FOB #2.

If you have additional transmitters to program, take
transmitter 1 out of the transmitter pocket and place
transmitter 2 in the pocket. This can be done repeatedly
until up to four transmitters have be programmed.
The DIC will then display MAX # FOBS LEARNED and
will exit the programming mode.
When you are done programming transmitters, press
the ACC button (ignition switch).
Old 08-31-2007, 10:12 AM
runutzzzzz
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 56 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by shortski
Two questions:

1. Are you putting the unrecognized transmitter in the pocket prior to putting the car in the learn mode.

2. After step 15 are you leaving the transmitter in place until you get the second beep and the ready for fob 2 message.

From the 2005 owner manual:

United States owners are permitted to match
a new transmitter to their vehicle when a recognized
transmitter is not available. The procedure will require
three ten minutes cycles to complete the matching
process. Do the following:

1. The vehicle must be off.

2. Place the new, unrecognized transmitter in the
glove box transmitter pocket with the buttons
facing towards the passenger’s side.

3. Go to the rear of the vehicle and insert the vehicle
key into the key cylinder located above the license
plate. See Hatch/Trunk on page 2-14 for more
information on the key cylinder.

4. Open the trunk.

5. Turn the key five times within five seconds.

6. The DIC message will display OFF-ACCESORY
TO LEARN

7. Press the ACC button (ignition switch).

8. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will

9. The DIC will display OFF-ACCESSORY TO
LEARN again.

10. Press the ACC button (ignition switch).

11. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will

12. The DIC will display OFF-ACCESSORY TO
LEARN again.

13. Press the ACC button (ignition switch).

14. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will

15. A beep will sound and the DIC will read READY
FOR FOB #1. At this time, all previously known
transmitters have been erased.

16. Once the transmitter is recognized and
programmed, a beep will sound and the DIC will
display READY FOR FOB #2.

If you have additional transmitters to program, take
transmitter 1 out of the transmitter pocket and place
transmitter 2 in the pocket. This can be done repeatedly
until up to four transmitters have be programmed.
The DIC will then display MAX # FOBS LEARNED and
will exit the programming mode.
When you are done programming transmitters, press
the ACC button (ignition switch).

nice
Old 08-31-2007, 10:17 AM
C6Longshot
Instructor

This procedure is the exact one I am following.
1) Yes- I am putting a fob (now unrecognized) in the fob pocket as per the instructions.
2) No. At this point, I cannot get to step 15 since I can no longer get the DIC "learning mode" message, or any message other than no fobs detected, to appear. Step 15 is the point during my initial reprogram where I left the car unattended and let it time out and power down. At the end of step 14, all fobs are erased from memory- so I am assuming that I now have no matched fobs, and I missed my opportunity to match one by letting the car power down during this point in the fob learning process.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:38 AM
shortski
Drifting

One final suggestion, disconnect the battery for few minutes, maybe something hung up because you didn't respond after fob 1 was recognized, if that doesn't work, looks like flatbed to dealer, bummer
Old 08-31-2007, 11:11 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by johnodrake
Respectfully, I didn't claim it was easy, I claimed a locksmith would make one. See this thread:http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...ght=key+blanks

The blank apparently is a Hillman B-106. All that said, the OP should indeed try the proceedure. I just don't think that it will work - because of what is described in the SM. Just my .02 - no intent to start an argument.
Oh, I understand. No argument is about to start here on either of our parts.

We are both hoping for the same thing here, and thats getting that car started without having to have it flatbedded back to the dealer.
Old 08-31-2007, 11:13 AM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C6Longshot
Ugh. Yes, I have re-tried the key cycle MANY times. I actually have a blister on my hand from turning the key so many times.

Before I started the procedure, simply turning the key would not put the vehicle into learn mode. Based off other posts I tried the start-reverse-shut down method, then turned the trunk key immediately after shutting down the vehicle and it worked every time. Doing this was the only way to get it into learn mode.

I think that the instructions in the owners manual are a little misleading. They start with "make sure the car is off" instead of "with the car running, shut it off". If you read the steps in the GM service manual, the first step is "shut the car off" implying that it was running to begin with.

Beyond that, there is a small paragraph in the service manual that mentions the shutdown while running procedure (not specifically for fob relearning). It states that this method is necessary so that the data bus between different control modules is active, and that the bus will shut down after the 20 min inactivity time out.

I really think I am screwed, although if someone else has a suggestion that works, you will be my hero.

Looking forward to the inevitable- how should I have this towed to the dealership? Obviously, a flat bed is required. But where should the flatbed attach the winch to my car to load it? One of the suspension control arms? I don't see a good place, and the owners manual has virtually nothing about towing precautions. I am planning on calling GM roadside service for the tow and praying it is covered under warranty somehow.
It should be covered under warranty. I don't see why not.

Is the car backed into the garage/driveway or headed in?

Flatbed C6
Flatbed C6

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 08-31-2007 at 11:28 AM.
Old 08-31-2007, 02:26 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by '06 Quicksilver Z06
Oh, I understand. No argument is about to start here on either of our parts.

We are both hoping for the same thing here, and thats getting that car started without having to have it flatbedded back to the dealer.
Shortski has the right gouge. After reading it, duh - I remember seeing that before. It is a 30 min process - I guess to make it harder to steal. Canadians don't have this option....
Old 08-31-2007, 04:07 PM
cthusker
Le Mans Master

Received 104 Likes on 62 Posts

I would think this procedure should work to get another fob to work. It's saying United States owners are permitted to match
a new transmitter to their vehicle when a recognized transmitter is not available
. The procedure will require three ten minutes cycles to complete the matching
process. I think having the right KEY is why this procedure should work. I'd also call GM's hot line and perhaps they could walk you through the procedure... gotta be someway of doing this without flatbedding your car....

Get notified of new replies

To Erased all fob's from memory and car wont start!(long)

Quick Reply: Erased all fob's from memory and car wont start!(long)