C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are all those black dots on rear window and will tint stick to them?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 09:55 PM
NB68
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Default What are all those black dots on rear window and will tint stick to them?

OK, so 1st I'm just curious what the black dots of gradually smaller size are on the hatch window and near the top center of the front window??

Then I'd like to know if there really is an issue with tint sticking properly because...and I've never heard of this before, the guy I am looking at to tint my windows says that tint will not stick to them b/c they are teflon?? And he says he would have to paint those areas of the window totally black then tint over it? WTF? I've never heard anything like this before.
I thought tinting was a pretty basic job..but maybe I'm wrong?!

As a side, does anyone know a good tint place in St.Louis/St.Charles MO just in case this guy is crazy?

Oh, and what % tint do people suggest on the back?
Thx
Old 05-25-2008, 10:48 PM
carlrx7
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09

i have the same problem on my c6,,

i have seen other members with perfect tint jobs, i guess i wasn't that lucky

some have suggested using elmer's glue over the teflon dots..

my tinter said he would use Vinyle to go over it and then re-tint. but i didn't wana risk the chance of him cutting the defog lines removing the tint.. ohwell..

-carl

p.s. goto youtube and serch for corvette tint
Old 05-25-2008, 10:50 PM
gbgary
Le Mans Master

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

black vinyl does the best job covering the dots. mine's as close to perfect as i believe is possible. 20% or darker goes very nice with black vinyl.
The following users liked this post:
4SUMERZ (02-19-2022)
Old 05-25-2008, 10:52 PM
moolys
Le Mans Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '09

I have tint on mine and no problems
The following users liked this post:
cyclesailor955 (02-21-2022)
Old 05-25-2008, 10:55 PM
saplumr
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,251 Likes on 895 Posts

I don't think you can get a "perfect" tint job over the dots...close but not perfect.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:29 AM
BlackZ51Vett
Le Mans Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NB68
OK, so 1st I'm just curious what the black dots of gradually smaller size are on the hatch window and near the top center of the front window?

Windshield glass contains a black enamel band (called the frit) around the periphery that is baked into the glass. This black band includes a border of dots. The band has an etched surface to enable adhesive to bond to the glass, says a sales manager at Able Auto Glass. When car manufacturers install the windshield, they bond the windshield to the vehicle with adhesive placed on the etched part of the black enamel glass area (inside surface). The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and protects it from ultraviolet radiation. The band also serves a cosmetic purpose by covering up the adhesive and gives the windshield edge "a more finished look."
Old 05-26-2008, 10:56 PM
Vinnie T
Pro

Generally, the black matrix area will make tint look grey if you tint over it since the tint cant form and stick itself to a smooth surface like glass so air forms around the dots. The tint shop I go to uses a very pliable black vinyl adhesive tape on the matix area to black it out, then tints below that slightly overlapping the tape. It seems to stick very well to the matrix and is thin and pliable enough to seal to the glass around the dots. No grey appearance at all.

I went limo tint (6-8%) and find it a little dark especailly since the vision out the back window is already limited. Looks great though. If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't go darker than 15%.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:34 PM
miami08VETTE
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 589 Likes on 338 Posts

http://www.dotmatrixwindowtinting.com/index.html

Haven't used it myself, but looks like a solution. My tint job was fine initially, but has separated over time. I might try this product when/if I bother to get it retinted. It's not too terribly bad right now.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:41 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think 15 to 20% would be good.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:08 AM
NEV3R L8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got 15% and they did a piece of vinyl over the dots on the outside which at first didn't look good to me but I think that is just because it was different. Now I'm happy with it and think it looks pretty good. I'd check into some vinyl if I were you.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:32 AM
NB68
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

A strip of vinyl on the OUTSIDE of the glass?
So wouldn't that just look like you have black tape on the window??
That could not look good?!
Old 05-27-2008, 07:23 AM
cylon
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BlackZ51Vett
Windshield glass contains a black enamel band (called the frit) around the periphery that is baked into the glass. This black band includes a border of dots. The band has an etched surface to enable adhesive to bond to the glass, says a sales manager at Able Auto Glass. When car manufacturers install the windshield, they bond the windshield to the vehicle with adhesive placed on the etched part of the black enamel glass area (inside surface). The outside of the enamel band shades the adhesive from the Sun and protects it from ultraviolet radiation. The band also serves a cosmetic purpose by covering up the adhesive and gives the windshield edge "a more finished look."
That is a good answer, usually you can only see the dots on bright sunny days and with polarized sun glasses. It is just the way that allows some light through and some not. Looks cool to me,

I like seeing dots.............
Old 05-27-2008, 07:33 AM
cspnboy
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I recently tinted my windows. I went with 20% on the rear and 50% on the sides. You hardly see the 50% but it does provide UV protection. Looks nice at night. Dots look OK, not great. It is what it is. You've got to be looking for the flaws real hard to see them.

I went to G-Wiz in Westfield NJ. I highly recommend them for any detailing, high-end stuff for your 'vette if you're in the area. (Not gonna help you for St. Louis)
Old 09-24-2008, 02:27 PM
VectorG6
5th Gear

Default Stickey Dot They Are Not

I just got my windows tinted and the dots on the back window at the very top prevented the tint from sticking completely. The tint guy said the dots are made of Teflon® and tint wont stick to them. It looks like a giant bubble towards the top of the back window. I will send them this info about tinting Corvette windows. They have a life time warranty on this tint job so should I take it back with this info and tell them to get it right? I hate being a jerk but it seems like the only way to not get taken for a ride these days.

FYI I went 5% which is totally illegal but looks real badazzzzzzz... minus the bubblezzzzzz anyway!!!!

Last edited by VectorG6; 09-24-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:33 PM
danl72
Race Director

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by moolys
I have tint on mine and no problems
It depends on the installer. If they are good it should be fine.
Old 09-24-2008, 02:35 PM
Boozman
Le Mans Master

Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

I had mine painted and the tink below turned out great.
Old 02-19-2022, 02:11 PM
dirtyd1981
1st Gear

Default Black tint back window

Had mine done yesterday, they didn't tint that upper half but after a couple days I'm going back and he's installing black vinyl, he's done it for 20yrs and he found that tint will bubble there so he doesn't tint that area, you can't see it much out the rear view mirror anyways
Old 02-20-2022, 12:49 PM
C6ToGo
Safety Car

Received 1,153 Likes on 717 Posts

Welcome to CF Club. First rule of CF club is to not reply to a 25 year old thread. (year duration is estimated)
Old 02-20-2022, 01:26 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,111 Likes on 709 Posts

Originally Posted by NB68
A strip of vinyl on the OUTSIDE of the glass?
So wouldn't that just look like you have black tape on the window??
That could not look good?!
The vinyl goes on the inside with the tint.
I had mine done without the vinyl and it looks really good. I used an installer that I found in the local section of this forum and he did a great job for me and several other C6 guys near me.

Get notified of new replies

To What are all those black dots on rear window and will tint stick to them?

Quick Reply: What are all those black dots on rear window and will tint stick to them?