C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible top liner rip

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
SLVRC6
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chevrolet is addressing the problem and they supposedly are refabricated new plastic pieces
The only fabrication being done here is the "tall tale" by the dealer. I am on my 3rd liner and have an '06 vert - a new one (under warantee) at the end of each summer for 3 years.

It is now documented at GM and they MUST provide me with a fix - or give me a new liner every time it fails within 12 months of the install.

I am honest to God telling the truth - every November when I store the car (for the last 3 years) - I have gone to the dealer and had them warrantee the liner - AND from the looks of things now (worn a bit - 60 days use) I'll be getting another free one at the end of the summer.

How stupid can you be.
Old 03-24-2009, 10:44 PM
mikefili
Pro

Same problem on my new 09, looked at the headliner a few days ago and saw the same rips, Dealer called me today to inform me that headliner and parts are on order, I will report once repair is done. Hard to beleive that G.M. has spent a fortune on this since 05
without a redesign to prevent the warantee claims in the first place.
Old 03-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,162 Likes on 1,757 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Originally Posted by SSTEVEGS

The top circled area is the (I assume) op's original mention...the bottom one is the one I suggested you should smooth out as well.
I have a little wear but no rip yet just got in from sanding the top circled area with 220 grit sandpaper for about 10 minutes on each side ,NOW WHAT ABOUT THESE SHARP CLIPS causing damage to the headliner??
Old 03-25-2009, 12:20 AM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 437 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Always Red Dave
I have a little wear but no rip yet just got in from sanding the top circled area with 220 grit sandpaper for about 10 minutes on each side ,NOW WHAT ABOUT THESE SHARP CLIPS causing damage to the headliner??
Open the top like in my pics and you can easily feel to see if your clips are sharp or not...it will be obvious...
Old 03-25-2009, 12:54 AM
Always Red Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 3,162 Likes on 1,757 Posts
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Unmodified

Thanks cclive
Old 03-25-2009, 05:45 AM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Hmmmm, I still need to inspect mine but I wonder if this is isolated to a power top vice manual top issue just because of the mechanics. I have only had my car for about a year but I take it down and up every chance I get. I will look at tonight I guess. You would think GM would be tired of replacing them. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 AM
Scruff Vette
Safety Car

Received 919 Likes on 417 Posts

This morning starts day two of my car being at the upolstry shop sublet by the dealer for the repair. Mine was indented badly on the passenger side (not reipped through) and the headliner on that side was loose to the point it was catching in the frame hinge everytime the top went up.

I'll report back when I pick up the car later today.
Old 03-25-2009, 11:43 PM
bryantbjb
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TSB for 2005's

[QUOTE=SSTEVEGS;1569384858][QUOTE=cclive;1569328400]There is a TSB for this...I caught mine before it was damaged, but its easy to see how it will happen. My dealer was great and ordered the new pins and retainers..

The TSB number is 08-08-110-001B....Dated 11/8/2008.....have your service manager print it up for you...its 20 pages of instructions on how to replace the headliner. It might help the upholstery shop. My dealer also said they would send it out to an upholstery shop to do the replacement if it was ever needed.

Does this TSB cover the 2005's? I talked with me dealer today using the above listed TSB number and he said that it only covered 07-09's. I'll have the dealer take a look and see if they can cover mine. Is there another TSB for the 05's that I am missing?

Thanks,

Bryant

Last edited by bryantbjb; 03-25-2009 at 11:43 PM. Reason: spacing
Old 03-26-2009, 10:25 AM
mikefili
Pro

[QUOTE=bryantbjb;1569445494][QUOTE=SSTEVEGS;1569384858][QUOTE=cclive;1569328400]There is a TSB for this...I caught mine before it was damaged, but its easy to see how it will happen. My dealer was great and ordered the new pins and retainers..

The TSB number is 08-08-110-001B....Dated 11/8/2008.....have your service manager print it up for you...its 20 pages of instructions on how to replace the headliner. It might help the upholstery shop. My dealer also said they would send it out to an upholstery shop to do the replacement if it was ever needed.

Does this TSB cover the 2005's? I talked with me dealer today using the above listed TSB number and he said that it only covered 07-09's. I'll have the dealer take a look and see if they can cover mine. Is there another TSB for the 05's that I am missing?

Thanks,

Yes, I just this morning picked up the TSB from my dealer, and the latest number is now last diget "C", which superceades "B", the latest is dated December 9, 2008, and it instructs to discard the earlier "B" TSB. Boy, as I read the replacement instructions I am now really scared, I can not believe that this can be done after the car has been built, let alone in a repair shop, and to top it off the labor is 1.6 hours. Unreal!
My thoughts are that the roof and leak issues will never be the same.
It states it is for 2007 to 2009, I wonder if the earler versions had earlier build dates?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:31 AM
mikefili
Pro

I lifted up the rear window area, that provided enough room to lift up the canvas and see what is going on in there, I cannot see what has caused the two corner tears in the headliner, my tears are in the upper areas just above the door glass edges, looks like it must be the rear corners of the metal trim and the holes before they became holes were very deep indents, as if something is pressing from the passanger compartment in, the only thing that it could be is the radius corners of the metal trim, I even completly closed the top into the stored position and cannot find anything pressing on the headliner once stored. I don't think it is sharp bolts in between the headliner and canvas.
Anyone know what is really causing it?

Last edited by mikefili; 03-30-2009 at 11:43 AM. Reason: x
Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 AM
papester
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by cclive
There is a TSB for this...I caught mine before it was damaged, but its easy to see how it will happen. My dealer was great and ordered the new pins and retainers..

Thanks,

Yes, I just this morning picked up the TSB from my dealer, and the latest number is now last diget "C", which superceades "B", the latest is dated December 9, 2008, and it instructs to discard the earlier "B" TSB. Boy, as I read the replacement instructions I am now really scared, I can not believe that this can be done after the car has been built, let alone in a repair shop, and to top it off the labor is 1.6 hours. Unreal!
My thoughts are that the roof and leak issues will never be the same.
It states it is for 2007 to 2009, I wonder if the earler versions had earlier build dates?
Could you scan the TSB and post it to this thread? It would really help us out.

Thanks, Judd
Old 03-26-2009, 11:55 AM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Corpsvette
Hmmmm, I still need to inspect mine but I wonder if this is isolated to a power top vice manual top issue just because of the mechanics. I have only had my car for about a year but I take it down and up every chance I get. I will look at tonight I guess. You would think GM would be tired of replacing them. Thanks for the info.
Mine is a manual top. I was the first to report this issue on this site (I think in either late 2005 or early 2006) so I even beat the power top folks.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM
S2K
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Here is where it began. You can see they have known about it for a long time.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...a-problem.html
Old 03-26-2009, 10:09 PM
mikefili
Pro

I will try to post it, I wonder if I can cut and paste something as large as 20 pages of
8 1/2" X 11" sheets of paper.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:50 PM
papester
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Originally Posted by mikefili
I will try to post it, I wonder if I can cut and paste something as large as 20 pages of
8 1/2" X 11" sheets of paper.
Just scan them and save as a PDF.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:01 PM
cclive
Team Owner

We have a good scanner at our other office...next time I am there, I will scan to .pdf
Old 04-05-2009, 11:38 PM
cclive
Team Owner

I have the "C" version of the TSB all scanned as a 20 page .pdf file...its about 2.5 MB, and many thanks to FacadeC6 for hosting the file on his server...download it here:

http://rmblot.fileave.com/08-08-110-001C.pdf

Last edited by cclive; 04-06-2009 at 12:57 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible top liner rip

Old 04-06-2009, 09:16 AM
pTr73
Melting Slicks

WORD OF ADVICE to anyone about to do this:

The repair shop also lost one of my rear plastic escutcheon pieces that cover the soldered connection on the rear window (charge denied). I went to the dealer to maybe get another piece... You have to buy the the wire also (just the short wire that gets soldered to the window) and the cost is $60.00. My advice is to remove both plastic escutcheons and hold onto them until you get your car back... they snap on and off quite easily with no problems. Go over your car as best you can, the guy put a small scrape into my clear coat on my trunk, and a few little scuffs on the rear quaters. Of course all charges were denied. Also the passenger rear flap doesnt pull tight when the top is closed. I brought it back to the repair shop so the guy can look at it.

DIAGNOSIS: Its missing one of the small D-clips that the tension ropes travel through. he said it could have popped out from tension, ok i'll buy that because it was closed tightly when I picked the car up. Again I went to the dealer to see if they have any of these little 5/8" black D-ring clips and apparently they only come with the entire headliner kit. This is just great isnt it? I found a place online and I ordered the exact same D-clips from them... I seen how it loops through (from viewing the drivers side, and I am gonna do it myself.

https://www.lucysfabrics.com/store/p...47%7D8%22.html

For anyone who needs them also.

SUMMARY: I should have just lived with the small hole on top of the headliner. And just been careful when closing my top. For the few scuffs on my paint, missing D ring loop, and lost plastic escutcheon the trade off wasnt in my favor for a friggin hole you didnt even really see.

Last edited by pTr73; 04-19-2009 at 07:44 PM. Reason: Had to change the website for the D-ring...
Old 04-06-2009, 10:10 AM
knkali
Melting Slicks

I took this approach instead. Still seems to be working well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...iner-tear.html
Old 04-06-2009, 12:26 PM
Corpsvette
Melting Slicks

Received 177 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by knkali
I took this approach instead. Still seems to be working well.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...iner-tear.html
Do you by chance have any pics of your work. Definitely sounds like the better way to go after reading this nightmare of a post.

Quick Reply: Convertible top liner rip