C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone get an Oil Analysis done???

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 10:14 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 539 Likes on 280 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by NYC6
Thats my opinion and if you dont like it thats to bad. No experience with it? I dont need to get my oil tested to know its a bunch of hooey! Ive read my about the subject quite a bit and talked to people as well over the years and thats the conclusion I came to and Im not in the minority either.

By the way I checked out your personal webite. Pretty funny, out of the very few links you provided as favorites Bobtheoilguy is one of em! Do you have a connection with them or just a shill cheerleader for them? Keep beating the drum for the oil salesman guy.
I am wondering what has caused you to be so suspect of oil analysis, or blood tests, for that matter. I respect your right to disagree with oil analysis but what I read in your posts is almost a disdain for oil analysis. I am just wondering what in your life's experiences caused such a feeling?

And for your information and has already been posted, a number of industries rely on oil analysis to read the health of their machinery or its oil. And yes, I have personal knowledge of that. Maybe for the average car owner, an oil analysis is overkill. I personally believe an oil analysis CAN be a good thing yet I do not do oil analysis on my own vehicles. Why? Like you I believe it would be a waste of MY money. But I don't go around trying to convince others not to do oil analysis. If done for peace of mind, whats the harm?

Anyway, Save the Wave.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

I always change my oil and filter long before the DIC tells me to. If I did drive on dusty, dirty roads I would change it even earlier. Its just common sense. Many engines have gone many hundreds of thousands for decades using this common sense and will contnue to do so. If you drive your car on a dirt road to get to work everyday do you need to get your oil tested to tell you to change it early? No. Under normal driving conditions on paved roads your engine isnt going to injest enough silicon or other contaminants to pose a serious failure problem. But like I said, if it gives you peace of mind, have at it. I'll keep my money in my pocket.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:38 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by ByByBMW
I am wondering what has caused you to be so suspect of oil analysis, or blood tests, for that matter. I respect your right to disagree with oil analysis but what I read in your posts is almost a disdain for oil analysis. I am just wondering what in your life's experiences caused such a feeling?

And for your information and has already been posted, a number of industries rely on oil analysis to read the health of their machinery or its oil. And yes, I have personal knowledge of that. Maybe for the average car owner, an oil analysis is overkill. I personally believe an oil analysis CAN be a good thing yet I do not do oil analysis on my own vehicles. Why? Like you I believe it would be a waste of MY money. But I don't go around trying to convince others not to do oil analysis. If done for peace of mind, whats the harm?

Anyway, Save the Wave.
This site is here so people can share different opinions and ideas. Thats all I did was give my opinion on the subject. To those who said they are believers in analysis I said, Im happy for you guys. If thats what you want to do, have at it. Go back and reread my posts. You're barking up the wrong tree.
You just said "its a waste of money". Thats exactly what my first post said. I offered my opinion and others took offense and I further had to explain my position. If some dont like opinions that differ from theirs they dont belong on a public forum where thoughts are exchanged.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:50 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 539 Likes on 280 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

This site is here so people can share different opinions and ideas. Thats all I did was give my opinion on the subject. To those who said they are believers in analysis I said, Im happy for you guys. If thats what you want to do, have at it. Go back and reread my posts. You're barking up the wrong tree.
You just said "its a waste of money". Thats exactly what my first post said. I offered my opinion and others took offense and I further had to explain my position. If some dont like opinions that differ from theirs they dont belong on a public forum where thoughts are exchanged.
Fair enough.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:41 AM
jxhunte
Pro

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone compared the results of an oil analysis before and after modifying their PCV system? I added Elite Engineering's Catch Can to my PCV system in hopes of eliminating the ingestion of oil vapor. This helped but still allowed some oil vapor into the intake manifold. When installing my SpinFAST, I modified my PCV system to that of a breather can configuration. This stopped the ingestion of oil vapor but the Breather Can configuration has removed vacuum from the PCV system which renders this system less efficient in removing contaminents from the crank case.

Any oil analysis that identifies the differences between the Catch Can vs Breather Can configurations? Will more frequent oil changes eliminate any concerns of damage caused by a less than efficient PCV system (Breather Can configuration), or is a closed PVC system (Catch Can or Stock) the only safe configuration?
Old 09-23-2009, 11:52 AM
0Corvettes of Dallas - Parts
Former Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the analysis on my LS7.

Severity was 0 and I had 1.3 % Fuel in the oil. Which is related to my tune...

The reason for testing, I found a chunk of metal in the oil!!!!

Everything seems to be okay for now.

-Adam

Corvettes of Dallas
Old 09-23-2009, 12:21 PM
AirBusPilot
Le Mans Master

Received 59 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
I did oil analysis on aircraft engines. Then we had an engine failure where you could almost read part numbers on the pieces, did oil analysis on this engine before and after the failure, the results came back normal. Lost a lot of faith in oil analysis after that.
Engines can fail for a variety of reasons, some having nothing to do with oiling. If you're an aircraft mechanic, you should know this.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:27 AM
Patman
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 1,213 Posts

By the way I checked out your personal webite. Pretty funny, out of the very few links you provided as favorites Bobtheoilguy is one of em! Do you have a connection with them or just a shill cheerleader for them? Keep beating the drum for the oil salesman guy.
Long time members on here know I've been involved with the site since day one, I am one of the admins on the message board. I can tell you that nobody gets preferential treatment on the site though, just because they are a sponsor doesn't mean we promote their products on the message board in any way. They get the same treatment as non sponsors, people will still talk good or bad about their stuff and the sponsors don't influence us to remove anything negative, nor do they ask us to say anything positive.

Quick Reply: Anyone get an Oil Analysis done???