C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2023, 04:53 PM
shawn07vette
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you are touching the two paper clips together or connecting them in to another female part? also do yo have a part that is covered in a black Targum type stuff very sticky?
Old 08-14-2023, 10:22 PM
Apeemeepa
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
The learn procedure will work if the fob battery is dead, inserted upside down, or not making contact with the prongs in the case. So the fob may have been programmed correctly but it’s electrically unpowered. However, it should still start the car if it’s in the slot. Try that first, because we know the slot is working. And while it’s not in the programming procedure in the owner’s manual, several iterations of that procedure say to hit the fob unlock button to complete the process. So, make sure the battery is good, inserted the right way up, and the contacts are clean and tight against the battery. Then see if the fob will work. And new battery does not equal good battery. It might have died on the shelf, or inferior in quality from the start. I’ve been using Sony batteries from Amazon in all my fobs for years. They’ve got a long shelf life, and have always worked and lasted quite well.
So the key I got from the dealer only works inside the glovebox, is it prob just a dead fob battery? can i just replace the battery and not have to worry about losing program or anything.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:59 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,869 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by Apeemeepa
So the key I got from the dealer only works inside the glovebox, is it prob just a dead fob battery? can i just replace the battery and not have to worry about losing program or anything.
The fob won’t become ‘unprogrammed’ if its battery dies, so yes, just replace it. How long ago did you get the fob from the dealer and did they program it?
Old 08-16-2023, 12:48 PM
Apeemeepa
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by FatsWaller
The fob won’t become ‘unprogrammed’ if its battery dies, so yes, just replace it. How long ago did you get the fob from the dealer and did they program it?
I just got the car last Saturday, they are going to provide another key that is being created from the dealer because of this one only working inside of the glovebox. But I'm surprised if they hadn't tried to change the battery. I'm not sure if they programed it or if the owner before me had it programmed.

Last edited by Apeemeepa; 08-16-2023 at 12:49 PM. Reason: I had the same quote posted on their twice. Still learning :)
Old 10-11-2023, 11:45 PM
gsl0204
3rd Gear

Default I'm Hopefull this will work on my 07

I'm having the same problem with my 07 I just bought. It has one fob so I bought a new fob, had the key made, and have tried turning the
key 5 times in 5 seconds for a few hundred times...making sure my cell phone is away, existing and new fobs in cup holder, clove box open. etc etc.
It has never gotten into program mode on the DIC. I'm going to try this tomorrow and am very hopeful. Will update either way.
Thanks!
P.S. Big thanks for the picture.

Originally Posted by DiskoDan
Finally got mine programmed. Thanks to everyone for posting their tips.. I fought with my M6 2006 Z06 for ~3 days before I got it to work... even tried using an Autel computer (just told me to reference the owners manual).

My tips:
- Car in reverse (Manual Car - not sure if this matters, but I tried everything and it was in reverse when it finally worked)
- Hook up a battery charger (I had been messing with mine a while with no luck, and it only worked after the charger had been hooked up for ~30min)
- Short the wires that send the signal with paper clips (my key in the trunk never worked to activate learning mode. I used paperclips to make contact between the 2 wires (Black - Ground & Tan - Signal) - picture below for reference)

Old 10-12-2023, 02:27 AM
gsl0204
3rd Gear

Default Finally got it to work!!!

Found the 2 wire clip with brown and black wires on the female side of the clip. The female side of the clip
is red just like in the picture here. I put a wire on each side of the female clip (which goes towards the front of the car)
and tried touching them 5 times for a bunch of attempts. I tried touching the wires with glove box open, dash on,
door closed, trunk open, both old and new key fobs in the cup holder next to the manual shifter. Still couldn't get
the DIC to say it was ready for a new fob.

FINALLY these are the magical steps that ended up WORKING:
-
battery tender on to make sure battery didn't lose any charge
- convertible top down
- windows down
- trunk open (with back panel off to get to the clip)
- glove box open
- existing key fob and new fob in cup holder
- wires in female clip (with the brown & black wires) ready to touch together
- got in the car
- started it and waited until the start up messages were done on the DIC
- put it in reverse
- turned it off and got out quickly
- touched the wires 5 times (in 5 seconds) and after DAYS and MULTIPLE attempts, I FINALLY got the DIC message that it was ready for key fob #2
- put the new fob in the glove box with buttons facing passenger door and waited for a message on the DIC
- after just a few seconds the DIC said ready for FOB #3
- I hit the off button (bottom of start)
- took my original fob away and was able to start with the new fob in the car. The DIC said driver 2 instead of my name I programmed with the original fob.
The car starts, doors lock and unlock, but trunk button doesn't work; which I've read is a problem with some of the replacement fobs. Overall I'm thrilled!
Thanks all!

Last edited by gsl0204; 10-12-2023 at 02:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-12-2023, 03:59 PM
FatsWaller
Safety Car

Received 1,869 Likes on 1,196 Posts

Originally Posted by gsl0204
Found the 2 wire clip with brown and black wires on the female side of the clip. The female side of the clip
is red just like in the picture here. I put a wire on each side of the female clip (which goes towards the front of the car)
and tried touching them 5 times for a bunch of attempts. I tried touching the wires with glove box open, dash on,
door closed, trunk open, both old and new key fobs in the cup holder next to the manual shifter. Still couldn't get

-
- convertible top down
- windows down
- glove box open
- got in the car
- put it in reverse
- touched the wires 5 times (in 5 seconds) and after DAYS and MULTIPLE attempts, I FINALLY got the DIC message that it was ready for key fob #2
- put the new fob in the glove box with buttons facing passenger door and waited for a message on the DIC
- took my original fob away and was able to start with the new fob in the car. The DIC said driver 2 instead of my name I programmed with the original fob.
The car starts, doors lock and unlock, but trunk button doesn't work; which I've read is a problem with some of the replacement fobs. Overall I'm thrilled!
Thanks all!
Just a point of clarification - the trunk / hatch button on the fob doesn't work, or the button above the rear license plate doesn't work?
Old 10-12-2023, 07:40 PM
gsl0204
3rd Gear

The trunk button on the original fob works fine. I also just put a new trunk button (above the rear license plate) and
it pops the trunk open fine. The trunk button on the newly programmed fob doesn't work. The lock and unlock buttons
on the new fob work fine, and I can start the car with the new fob. I seem to remember reading somewhere that
others have had the same experience with the trunk button not working on the new fobs. Also, I spent just $29 for the new
fob instead of spending a LOT more for a GM fob.

Old 06-18-2024, 01:04 AM
harry604
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gsl0204

-
- convertible top down
- windows down
- glove box open
- got in the car
- put it in reverse
Thanks all!
after you turned the car off and got out quickly.. did you close the door or leave it open
Old 06-18-2024, 01:06 AM
harry604
Instructor

Received 47 Likes on 12 Posts

I can not get the message ready for fob. i even tried the paperclip method.....

some things i notice is when i touch the paper clips 5 times quickly all i get is clicking behind the dash...

also after i shut the car off and close the door the light on the push start turns to green circle from red off light

Quick Reply: C6 Comprehensive Fob Programming Instructions