C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport Dry Sump LS3 - builder tags

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 12:33 PM
az sheriff
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by peter pan
Just call the Messiah, he will make sure a Vette is in everyones driveway before the next election
Love it!!! Great Comment. With every new vette will be free healthcare!!!!
Old 11-02-2009, 02:44 PM
brian98vette
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Default Thank you Rick Dadd

Thank you Rick Dadd for building my engine

Just a note for folks trying to find the plate - it's as described on the RH intake side, but the badge is facing forward towards the front of the car - I spent about 20m looking all over the side.

Excellent thread and always great to hear about how our cars are crafted - thank you OP for all of the information - love to get the inside details.

The following users liked this post:
conft84 (09-18-2021)
Old 11-02-2009, 02:45 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 770 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by az sheriff
Love it!!! Great Comment. With every new vette will be free healthcare!!!!
and stupid post to clutter up the OPs thread...mine included
Old 11-02-2009, 02:50 PM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Received 75 Likes on 45 Posts

Default Wixom is also down

Originally Posted by fun12bet
Don:
Thanks for the great info on the engine build process. I ordered a 2010 Grand Sport 2 weeks ago with M6 tran. I saw the build process on TV a couple of times, very impressive.
I found out that the Bowling Green assembly Plant is shut down from Oct 28th thru Dec 11th. Did this shutdown also affect your engine assembly line?

Thanks,
Rick
Rick,

Unfortunately we are also shut down. Our layoff starts today. We return to work on Nov. 30. Hopefully we will have a steady work schedule after this layoff.

Don
Old 11-02-2009, 06:31 PM
SoonerEngineer
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by eaglei
Rick,

Unfortunately we are also shut down. Our layoff starts today. We return to work on Nov. 30. Hopefully we will have a steady work schedule after this layoff.

Don
Wanted to say thanks for posting on the board and sharing the information about the engines you build. I ordered a Grand Sport with a manual transmission last week!
Old 11-02-2009, 07:31 PM
fun12bet
Instructor

Sorry to hear that Don. Hopefully when you go back to work you'll be building my engine.

Rick
Old 11-02-2009, 08:54 PM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Default PBC engine build on Jalopnik.com

If you are interested in seeing how engines are built at Wixom PBC check out this link. It covers an LS9 build with a writer from Jalopnik.com. Article is very recent. Process for LS3 is very similar.

http://jalopnik.com/5371569//gallery/?selectedImage=55

Thanks for your interest! And thanks for your orders!!

Don
Old 11-02-2009, 10:52 PM
fun12bet
Instructor

Don:
Thanks for the link to the engine build. Looks like it has a lot of great process controls in place to assure a quality engine.
Does the Grand Sport LS3 engine go through the same test and quality checks as the LS9?

Rick
Old 11-03-2009, 06:54 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fun12bet
Don:
Thanks for the link to the engine build. Looks like it has a lot of great process controls in place to assure a quality engine.
Does the Grand Sport LS3 engine go through the same test and quality checks as the LS9?

Rick
Yes - Absolutely - our LS3 builds are held to the same high standards and quality checks!

There are some unique specs for each engine type. when it comes to cold test, based on the 'personality' of each engine type. For example LS7, LS3 and LS9 all have slightly different noise and vibration 'signatures'.

We have dedicated management that determines and monitors cold test data. If something is unusual (fairly rare) it is quickly investigated.

Looking forward to filling your order. Hope you post pictures when you get your Grand Sport!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:09 AM
eaglei
Burning Brakes

Default Congatulations Brian!

Originally Posted by brian98vette
Thank you Rick Dadd for building my engine

Just a note for folks trying to find the plate - it's as described on the RH intake side, but the badge is facing forward towards the front of the car - I spent about 20m looking all over the side.

Excellent thread and always great to hear about how our cars are crafted - thank you OP for all of the information - love to get the inside details.

Congats Brian - looks like you have the first "Who Built your LS3
Dry-sump" post! Do you mind if I copy you to a new thread?

You're in good hands with "Dr. Dadd's" engine. He has pretty much spent his entire working career at GM building engines. He worked a few years building Olds rocket V8's, then did special engine work in Engineering., before coming to Wixom. He is very much a professional builder!

Hope your Vette keeps you grinning!
Old 11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
brian98vette
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 65 Posts

Congats Brian - looks like you have the first "Who Built your LS3
Dry-sump" post! Do you mind if I copy you to a new thread?

You're in good hands with "Dr. Dadd's" engine. He has pretty much spent his entire working career at GM building engines. He worked a few years building Olds rocket V8's, then did special engine work in Engineering., before coming to Wixom. He is very much a professional builder!

Hope your Vette keeps you grinning!
No problem - copy and paste
Old 01-13-2010, 01:42 PM
PnC KING
Instructor

Don:

Thank you for informing me that my 2010 GS engine was built by a very careful builder, Mike Priest.

I am also proud to say that I have taken my car and his motor up past the 190mph marker which many (mostly Z06 owners) don’t believe.

I have a friend that has also been building some of the strongest LS motors since he was 18 and he was very impressed with the power and performance the engine had. He owns a 09' Base M6 Corvette and when we raced I was quite impressed how much I pulled on him. This is truly funny especially with all the Z owners saying that my car and the base LS3 are identical in power, I think not LOL!

Keep building them strong!

Regards,
Tim S.
proud owner of a 2010 Jetstream Blue Grand Sport M6 Corvette
Old 01-13-2010, 03:07 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by PnC KING
Don:

Thank you for informing me that my 2010 GS engine was built by a very careful builder, Mike Priest.

I am also proud to say that I have taken my car and his motor up past the 190mph marker which many (mostly Z06 owners) don’t believe.

I have a friend that has also been building some of the strongest LS motors since he was 18 and he was very impressed with the power and performance the engine had. He owns a 09' Base M6 Corvette and when we raced I was quite impressed how much I pulled on him. This is truly funny especially with all the Z owners saying that my car and the base LS3 are identical in power, I think not LOL!

Keep building them strong!

Regards,
Tim S.
proud owner of a 2010 Jetstream Blue Grand Sport M6 Corvette
I really doubt if your engine makes more power then any other LS3. I suspect that the reason you "pulled" on your buddy's base C6 is because of the lower gearing in the GS's transmission.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:16 PM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JoesC5
I really doubt if your engine makes more power then any other LS3. I suspect that the reason you "pulled" on your buddy's base C6 is because of the lower gearing in the GS's transmission.
Bingo.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:23 PM
PnC KING
Instructor

Originally Posted by JoesC5
Thanks for the response. I was unaware that the GS has a different gear ratio then the base C6, but that would make total sense.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
DaveMcC
Instructor

I'm not sure how our process compares to higher production LS3's.
I've spent some time in a high volume engine plant and the process controls seem very similar. All bolts are machine torqued and computer recorded, with a go/no go function at every station. If any bolt at any stage fails it's torque spec, it is automatically sent to a repair bay where it is fixed, again with a computer recorded torque figure. Heads are installed by a machine fixture and torqued by the same type of multi-torque fixture.

Some parts, like main bearings, are vision detected to ensure that the correct size bearing is installed to keep the specs very tight. Even the tiniest parts, like C-clips on wrist pins, are laser and vision detected for proper fit and alignment. Every short block is rotated for vibration analysis before it moves on to head installation. Every engine gets an air test for ring/valve seal. Every final assembly gets a cold test. There is virtually no room for individual variation, never mind such things as missing/misaligned parts.

I have every bit of confidence in the mass produced engines in a modern engine plant. In fact, the only engine I've ever had replaced under warranty was a hand built SVT Cobra engine.
Old 03-07-2010, 12:46 PM
toomuchcar
Burning Brakes

Bruce Blomfield built my LS3 engine in my serial number 733 CRM GS Coupe.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport Dry Sump LS3 - builder tags

Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 PM
GrandSportGirly
Melting Slicks

I will have to go look at mine and see who built mine...
Old 03-07-2010, 07:39 PM
Lead Foot 66
Drifting

Received 138 Likes on 81 Posts

Don,

Many thanks for your detailed response as to how the PBC builds these great engines.

And for all you who are getting the PBC engines, DO take the PBC tour. It is better than the Factory tour, IMHO. I took the PBC tour on April 8, 2008, two days before picking up our then new Z06 at the NCM. My engine builder was Bruce Elam. We took pictures of me with Bruce and the "tour staff" were the plant management. All in all, everyone was very gracious and answered all of our questions.

So let's keep the PBC folks busy building these great engines.
Old 03-07-2010, 08:43 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Very cool info!Thanks man.Makes me want to buy one!!!

Quick Reply: Grand Sport Dry Sump LS3 - builder tags