C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First gear grinding

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2009, 08:42 PM
kyle0k
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big breakthrough, at least I think so. IF I shift into second and go straight to first then there is no problem. Does this mean anything??

So kinda like when someone tries to shift into first at a light and sometimes cant but has to shift to second then first, thats what fixes my issue.

Any advice on it would be great
Old 12-03-2009, 03:21 AM
cratica
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The problem is a bad 1st gear synchro. I'm 99.9% sure of it.
Old 07-08-2018, 08:46 PM
Crikk
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kyle0k
Ok important update on this. for a day or two of driving the car did it only maybe once. Then yesterday it did it many times. When it doesn't happen, the shift into first is very smooth. First Ill post a couple more things that I noticed and then what I think it might be.I wanted to add that I have a callaway short shifter, but the transmission was never 'abused' and when it was shifted fast the oil was fully warmed up.

The big thing I noticed is that when this happens, the weirdest thing goes along with it. My speedometer jumps up to either around 20mph or up to 200 then back! Along with my speedometer my 'instant mpg' goes to 20 for a split second!

Here is my Theory on this. We all know that with the manual tranny sometimes at a light or something, from a stop, the tranny does not let us shift into first untill we either let go of clutch or shift to second then first. There is just something 'blocking' from it going in. This happens to almost every manual transmission, and it seems completely random. Well since this started my car hasn't done this not once, and this grinding problem happens exactly as random as this quirk. So my thinking is whatever was stopping it from going in before, is now not there any more or needs readjustment.

The only other thing I was thinking was, I remember when installing the short shifter that there were a couple bolts that had to be done to an exact measure, and some acted as stoppers and such. Maybe one of them loosened or got out of place so its not working properly.

If someone that more mechanically knowledgeable could chime in on this, it would be very helpful. Thank you!

EDIT: New discovery, just had to drive somewhere 25 min and back. On the way it did it many times, and by the end of the trip I started thinking about the whole adjustment bolts theory and started putting it into first gear very carefully, making sure its aligned perfectly into the middle of the gear and not allt he way to the left or to the right wall. Ever since I did that and the whole ride home ,doing that, there was not one instance when I get a gear grinding. Does this make sense to anyone? Before I take apart the console to get to the gearbox and look at some bolts, can somone chime in on whether one of the bolts controls something like this....

im having the same problem to a T. Did you ever figure it out?
Old 07-08-2018, 09:22 PM
airmed2
Drifting

Received 309 Likes on 191 Posts

This member's last activity was Christmas day of 2013. The odds of getting a reply may be slim to none.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:49 PM
LowRyter
Melting Slicks

Received 380 Likes on 283 Posts

rev match when downshifting and don't force it into any gear. particularly first. Nothing wrong with coasting in neutral when you are stopping.

btw- mind grinds when I put it in reverse.

Last edited by LowRyter; 07-08-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Quick Reply: First gear grinding