C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do I bleed the clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default How do I bleed the clutch??

I have seen many threads about this and was wondering if anyone knows how to do this???
Old 05-21-2010, 05:22 PM
RAT
Drifting

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahmer
I have seen many threads about this and was wondering if anyone knows how to do this???

Go with the Ranger method. Is very, very easy.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-t...al-issues.html
Old 05-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Ahmer
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thank you. I did try this method before, but I was wondering if there was another thread somewhere about how bleed the clutch. Entire procedure in detail. Kinda like the brakes that would help me...

Last edited by Ahmer; 05-21-2010 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-21-2010, 05:35 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Take my word for not bleeding the clutch like you bleed the brakes. The main reason is that the bleed value is very very very hard to reach and operate and like brake fluid and transmission fluid, when the value is opened the fluid goes over everything within the immediate area. What a mess and the smell if it get on parts that get hot. You never can get the area totally clean.
The Ranger method is the easiest, cleanest and quickest way to change the clutch fluid.

Mike

Last edited by Mike's Sweet 19; 05-21-2010 at 05:36 PM. Reason: grammer correction
Old 05-21-2010, 07:12 PM
LMBTom
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The old-fashioned way: Uscrew the bleed valve (located on the slave cylinder, very hard to reach - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...he-clutch.html), then press the clutch pedal down. Screw the valve back in, then let the clutch up. Unscrew, then press the clutch down. Screw in, then let the clutch up.

Do that while keeping fresh fluid in the master cylinder reservoir until the fluid comes out of the bleed valve clean. This requires 2 people. Don't let up the clutch while the bleed valve is loose, you'll get air in the system.

Old fashioned way +1: Get a remote bleeder. It's basically a hose you attach to the bleed valve location. This makes it a 1-man job as the hose is usually long enough for you to reach while you're pressing the clutch.

Modern way: Get a pressure bleeder like motive or mity-vac/etc. These either create pressure (motive) or a vaccum(mity-vac), so you'd attach the device to either the clutch reservoir (motive) or bleed valve (mity-vac) and push/suck the fluid through the system while the bleed valve is open and keeping the reservoir full.

The problem with these is they won't get old fluid out of either the master/slave cylinder (I forgot) as it is not a straight-through system. I'd recommend the motive power bleeder as its easier to use and you can also use it to bleed your brakes.

The absolutely easy fool-proof method: The Ranger method. Disadvantage: You'll spend an extra $6 on fluid as you need extra to clean out the system. My man, $6 is well worth the time it will save doing the other methods
Old 05-21-2010, 07:37 PM
hawkgfr
Race Director

Received 1,279 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by LMBTom
The old-fashioned way: Uscrew the bleed valve (located on the slave cylinder, very hard to reach - http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-z...he-clutch.html), then press the clutch pedal down. Screw the valve back in, then let the clutch up. Unscrew, then press the clutch down. Screw in, then let the clutch up.

Do that while keeping fresh fluid in the master cylinder reservoir until the fluid comes out of the bleed valve clean. This requires 2 people. Don't let up the clutch while the bleed valve is loose, you'll get air in the system.

Old fashioned way +1: Get a remote bleeder. It's basically a hose you attach to the bleed valve location. This makes it a 1-man job as the hose is usually long enough for you to reach while you're pressing the clutch.

Modern way: Get a pressure bleeder like motive or mity-vac/etc. These either create pressure (motive) or a vaccum(mity-vac), so you'd attach the device to either the clutch reservoir (motive) or bleed valve (mity-vac) and push/suck the fluid through the system while the bleed valve is open and keeping the reservoir full.

The problem with these is they won't get old fluid out of either the master/slave cylinder (I forgot) as it is not a straight-through system. I'd recommend the motive power bleeder as its easier to use and you can also use it to bleed your brakes.

The absolutely easy fool-proof method: The Ranger method. Disadvantage: You'll spend an extra $6 on fluid as you need extra to clean out the system. My man, $6 is well worth the time it will save doing the other methods

exactly....

Get notified of new replies

To How do I bleed the clutch??

Quick Reply: How do I bleed the clutch??