C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Can you “feel” the difference between F55 Sport and Tour modes of operation ?
Yes
70.63%
No
29.37%
Voters: 143. You may not vote on this poll

F55 Suspension Software Mod Request Input

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 02:57 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

Originally Posted by RAVEN007
LS WON,
Please add your poll vote to the NO section.
Thanks !
For the reminder.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:38 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As I use mine as a DD, I have to say that I run with it in Tour most of the time except when I am going to either a)drive in a more "spirited" manner or b) drive on exceptionally smooth or new pavement. I would love to have a third option that would essentially be a track-level setting for very aggressive driving. While we are privilidged to have some of the most awesome roads to drive on in Northern California, lots of the secondary and "backroads" are totally sh*t and would beat the cr@p out of the car if I didn't have the F55. The top squeaks enough as it is
Love it

Old 07-28-2010, 03:53 PM
RAVEN007
Instructor

Default MSRS Video

Magnetic Selective Ride System Video:

(Note engineer reprogramming MR system at 2:02)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48m1_otpD9c

I would like to be able to tune-in my F55 ride selection to meet my comfort zone whether they be on the track/auto cross, rough highway or rough side roads with Options running from 1 (smooth) to 5 (stiff).

Last edited by RAVEN007; 07-28-2010 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 04:13 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by jamesbertero
As I use mine as a DD, I have to say that I run with it in Tour most of the time except when I am going to either a)drive in a more "spirited" manner or b) drive on exceptionally smooth or new pavement. I would love to have a third option that would essentially be a track-level setting for very aggressive driving. While we are privilidged to have some of the most awesome roads to drive on in Northern California, lots of the secondary and "backroads" are totally sh*t and would beat the cr@p out of the car if I didn't have the F55. The top squeaks enough as it is
Love it

Very nice.
That must be the Sonoma coast
What year is your C-6 with F-55?
From 2005 to now they probably have changed the system somewhat?
Old 07-28-2010, 04:18 PM
Ktzon
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd like it to go to "11".
Old 07-28-2010, 04:20 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Originally Posted by LS WON
Very nice.
That must be the Sonoma coast
What year is your C-6 with F-55?
From 2005 to now they probably have changed the system somewhat?
Mine's an 06 that I bought with about 18k on it.
so far it's been oil changes and a set of new WideOvals and lots of grins. Somehow I keep getting lost on the way home
We are in Forestville, which is right off the Russian river area outside of Santa Rosa.
Hwy 1 takes about 30 min to get to
Old 07-28-2010, 04:24 PM
c1vettes
Burning Brakes

I definitely notice the change, and even my wife will complain when I forget to switch over to tour when she is a passenger. She had no idea of the F55 dial option in the begining, so she clearly felt the firmer ride in sport.

As the saying goes: If it ain't broke ....
Old 07-28-2010, 04:26 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Mine's an 06 that I bought with about 18k on it.
so far it's been oil changes and a set of new WideOvals and lots of grins. Somehow I keep getting lost on the way home
We are in Forestville, which is right off the Russian river area outside of Santa Rosa.
Hwy 1 takes about 30 min to get to
That's beautiful view there but it doesn't look like those beaches are accessible off of Hwy 1.

Same here only oil & filter changes on 2005. Only minor Warranty issues:auto shifter replaced, gas cap, gas latch cable, and targa top recall.
Still on both original tires lots of tred left and original battery.
Nice place to get lost in.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:05 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

For all of you with the F55 option who cannot “feel” the difference between Sport and Tour modes, I have opened a Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center (cac@chevrolet.com) Service Request Case Number: 71-852331324.

"We non-track drivers who do not drive the slalom or roller coaster
roads to work each day need a F55 software modification to smooth out the ride over cement interstate expansion joints and pot holes."

If you want to get this issue fixed then send an Email to CAC referencing -- Service Request Case Number: 71-852331324.

Poll:
Can you “feel” the difference between F55 Sport and Tour modes of operation ?
Yes
No
I really fail to see what it is you are asking for. My guess is that you are already getting a smoothed out ride COMPARED to other Corvette suspensions.

That said, I would like to see us have more options as far as F55 adjustability.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:10 PM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
That said, I would like to see us have more options as far as F55 adjustability.
Old 07-28-2010, 05:30 PM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I would like to see us have more options as far as F55 adjustability.
I test drove a 09 Coupe before I bought my current vette with the F55 and had a hard time feeling the difference in the two modes.

I do understand why F55 folks swap out the sway bars to the Z51 bars as the body lean was very pronounced in a hard sweeping corner. Maybe that's all that is needed to "tighten" it up but then I wonder why GM wasn't offering the Z51 bars as an option?

Tom
Old 07-28-2010, 07:15 PM
nickTsandman
Racer

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hot1
I can feel the difference almost immediately. I wouldn't want it any softer. Works great.
Have to agree, when the roads change from straight and boaring to twisting and spirited, my 07 A6, F55 with add-on NPP is set up to have fun. Exhaust is open, paddle shift is on, the switch is in sport! Its a blast! One last thing, the top is down!
Old 07-29-2010, 12:19 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default We were ahead!

Originally Posted by AFVETTE
I test drove a 09 Coupe before I bought my current vette with the F55 and had a hard time feeling the difference in the two modes.

I do understand why F55 folks swap out the sway bars to the Z51 bars as the body lean was very pronounced in a hard sweeping corner. Maybe that's all that is needed to "tighten" it up but then I wonder why GM wasn't offering the Z51 bars as an option?

Tom
Some have speculated that GM did not want to make the F55/Z51 sway bar combination suspension in direct competition with the Z51 suspension system. Of course, later GM did the ZR1, similar to what the F55/Z51 sway bar people were doing, we were ahead of the times.
Old 07-29-2010, 02:00 PM
Dif
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 716 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by AFVETTE

Tom
and to add to what you say about feeling the difference...
it has a lot to do with the road quality when the difference becomes noticable.
GM like a lot of other auto makers has simplified their option list on just about everything they make now.
GM does not want to bother and F55 owners can easily add Z51 bars.
My point though is many owners don't want the ride any firmer/stiffer/tighter etc
Me Personally .. I have a set of Z51 bars sitting in my garage.
I know they will make my F55 handle better, but I have upgraded some of my other cars with performance sway bars and know it will stiffen the ride
Even though it may only become a "little" stiffer, it's not something I want with the way it rides now.
Around here, Sport mode, sometimes is too stiff for road conditions.
I find on some twisties with rough road conditions, my Vette handles better and is more controllable in Tour.
I do use Sport mode to "tighten" the ride/handling, but on the highway when traveling at higher speeds on smoother roads.
Of course that is just me and what I like with the way it handles now
Old 07-29-2010, 02:05 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Dif
and to add to what you say about feeling the difference...
it has a lot to do with the road quality when the difference becomes noticable.
GM like a lot of other auto makers has simplified their option list on just about everything they make now.
GM does not want to bother and F55 owners can easily add Z51 bars.
My point though is many owners don't want the ride any firmer/stiffer/tighter etc
Me Personally .. I have a set of Z51 bars sitting in my garage.
I know they will make my F55 handle better, but I have upgraded some of my other cars with performance sway bars and know it will stiffen the ride
Even though it may only become a "little" stiffer, it's not something I want with the way it rides now.
Around here, Sport mode, sometimes is too stiff for road conditions.
I find on some twisties with rough road conditions, my Vette handles better and is more controllable in Tour.
I do use Sport mode to "tighten" the ride/handling, but on the highway when traveling at higher speeds on smoother roads.
Of course that is just me and what I like with the way it handles now
This suspension is suppose to keep all 4 wheels planted to the road so might think of it as another safety/comfort option.
Old 07-30-2010, 02:01 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Overall, which handles better on the curves;
F55 or Z51?

Or would a F55 with a Z51 bar be better than just a plain ole Z51???
Old 07-30-2010, 02:40 AM
psummers
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For all of you with the F55 option who cannot “feel” the difference between Sport and Tour modes, I have opened a Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center (cac@chevrolet.com) Service Request Case Number: 71-852331324.

"We non-track drivers who do not drive the slalom or roller coaster
roads to work each day need a F55 software modification to smooth out the ride over cement interstate expansion joints and pot holes."

If you want to get this issue fixed then send an Email to CAC referencing -- Service Request Case Number: 71-852331324.

Poll:
Can you “feel” the difference between F55 Sport and Tour modes of operation ?
Yes
No
I just got back from a long trip to Wyoming - tried "sport" mode for a few hours over paved roads that were in poor condition. I could really tell the difference! Was choppy, harsh ride. Back into "tour" mode, ride was much better - not as harsh.

Get notified of new replies

To F55 Suspension Software Mod Request Input

Old 07-30-2010, 10:01 AM
jamesbertero
Drifting

Originally Posted by LBear
F55 or Z51?

Yes

But the Z51 guys will be quick to remind you that you won't have the re-geared trans & trans-cooler and the ventilated brakes while you are comfortably hammering along
F55 or Z51....pretty hard to go wrong either way if you ask me
Old 07-30-2010, 10:26 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Yes

But the Z51 guys will be quick to remind you that you won't have the re-geared trans & trans-cooler and the ventilated brakes while you are comfortably hammering along
F55 or Z51....pretty hard to go wrong either way if you ask me
Don't need all of that stuff if you don't drive it that way on track. Otherwise it's just more stuff clutter under the hood.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:47 AM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
F55 or Z51?

I did test drives between F55 & Z51 when I bought my F55 3 years ago. My humble opinion was and is that the F55 does corner better because it stays more planted to the road vs Z51 which I found sometimes felt a little "hoppy" in the curves. This gives me a lot more confidence in hard cornering on typical roads I encounter.

F55 is also way better on rougher, pothole-ridden streets/roads.

Quick Reply: F55 Suspension Software Mod Request Input