C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has anyone driven to/into Glacier National Park?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 12:23 AM
Agapemou
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gilhuly
At that time of year,altitiude,weather could be an issue. I've not driven my vette there but on a perfect day it'd be great drive. What is driving PCH in a vette like? Often felt it'd be a great drive but thought it might be to crowded to really enjoy.
PCH is the road to Paridise. Drive it from San Diego to San Francisco-take 3 days and stop lots of places. I drive it 3 or 4 times a year to decompress.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:29 AM
Zoomin
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 160 Posts
2018 C2 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15, '19

Originally Posted by jksvet
That place is gorgeous. Watch out for the Moose. Looking forward to going back some day. I would be concerned about the weather that time of year.
That would be a caravan I'd love to be a part of.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:34 AM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow- what timing!!! We are leaving for Glacier Park Monday! We are leaving from NJ and stoping to see Mt Rushmore and Old Faithful as well. I can't wait!

We aren't taking the Vette though- renting an SUV.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:37 AM
Tkenmore
Instructor

my dad and i started a tradition last year. On my bday we take our toys and rip down to east gate glacier park and have a drink and maybe a bite, then head home. Its a solid 10 hr day for us, but very much worth it. I don't have a car this year, but i'll try and steal my moms C5. It's an awesome part of the world, and 75mph on 2 lane roads is excellent.
Old 08-07-2010, 08:22 AM
Kreuzen
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

Originally Posted by last901
We did it a couple of years ago. It's not such a big park so if you wanted to do it in one day, it's not a problem. The Road to the Sun is worth doing , but it's narrow and sometimes under construction once the peak season is over. It can also be heavily traveled so be patient.
:
... construction, heavily traveled and quite slow most of the time - but beautiful all the same.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,390 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by arcticZ51
Wow- what timing!!! We are leaving for Glacier Park Monday! We are leaving from NJ and stoping to see Mt Rushmore and Old Faithful as well. I can't wait!

We aren't taking the Vette though- renting an SUV.
On the way to Mt Rushmore, you can detour slightly through the Badlands Natl Park. That will add about an hour to your driving time if you don't stop for any of the scenic spots, but you will want to stop.

Leaving the Badlands, drop into Wall Drug for an hour or three.

Then there's Devils Tower just into WY, worth a half-day.

Lots of beautiful territory out there!
Old 08-08-2010, 01:33 AM
gsport
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i was just up there 3 weeks ago... 7 of us in vettes went on a 4000 mile, national park road trip... check out my thread.. a couple pictures from there, we had a great time...
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...road-trip.html
Old 08-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

If you get through Billings, give me a shout and I'll buy you lunch.
Old 08-08-2010, 02:05 AM
benspruce
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife and I took our C6 vert from California through Nevada, Idaho, and Montana to Glacier National Park two years ago. We were there the first week of October. We encountered rain and snow - so I would go earlier in the year. There was construction on Going to the Sun Highway and the traffic was backed up. But the views on that road are spectacular. My wife has been to the Alps in Switzerland and said the views at Glacier were every bit as spectacular. We stopped several times on the Going to the Sun road and took lots of pics. The temp was 35 degrees. At one stop we had a snowball fight. The surrounding towns are scenic - actually, the whole state seemed very nice. I would recommend it for anyone who enjoys scenic mountain driving and views. Enjoy.
Old 08-08-2010, 04:29 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Watch out!

Originally Posted by Raazor
If you get through Billings, give me a shout and I'll buy you lunch.
Just watch YOR REAR!

PS: Read his activar and heed warning!

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 08-08-2010 at 04:32 PM.
Old 08-08-2010, 05:58 PM
RickBrim
2nd Gear

Default no problem

I have traveled thru the rockies 6 times this summer all great roof off and great weather Sept snow storms are not uncommon at these elevations. AS tires are a blessing when needed I run Michhelin AS pilot sport run flats
Old 08-08-2010, 06:42 PM
arcticZ51
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead Jim
On the way to Mt Rushmore, you can detour slightly through the Badlands Natl Park. That will add about an hour to your driving time if you don't stop for any of the scenic spots, but you will want to stop.

Leaving the Badlands, drop into Wall Drug for an hour or three.

Then there's Devils Tower just into WY, worth a half-day.

Lots of beautiful territory out there!
Awesome- thank you!!
Old 08-08-2010, 06:51 PM
usraptor
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made the trip a couple of years ago on our Harleys. Beautiful park, but quit frankly it's pretty much a one day thing. The Highway to the Sun is fun but is easy driven in a few hours. There is beautiful scenery but you won't see many, if any, glaciers from the road. The majority of the glaciers are in the back country and you need a helicopter ride to enjoy. That being said, I can't echo enough the comments about Banff in Canada. One of the most beautiful parks I have ever seen. It's like several of our National Parks rolled into one. It's a wonder I didn't crash the Harley as my head was on a swivel the whole time. It's a must see!
Old 06-09-2020, 11:47 PM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Is anyone still active on this thread?

Thinking about driving from Wyoming up to Glacier National Park to do the going to the sun road. Maybe stay a night in the park if hotels are open. Then go to Calgary for a weekend to see a friend. Head to Banff for part of a day on way to Vancouver. Stay in Vancouver a few days and hit up the sea to sky highway one of the days there. Then head back home. Thinking 7 or 8 days total. Maybe July 17th - 24th. Looks to be right at 3000 miles.

Can anyone chime in if a lowered c6z with zr1 ground effects will be ok for these roads?

Anyone want to meet up along the way?
Old 06-10-2020, 09:43 AM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by darknit
Is anyone still active on this thread?

Thinking about driving from Wyoming up to Glacier National Park to do the going to the sun road. Maybe stay a night in the park if hotels are open. Then go to Calgary for a weekend to see a friend. Head to Banff for part of a day on way to Vancouver. Stay in Vancouver a few days and hit up the sea to sky highway one of the days there. Then head back home. Thinking 7 or 8 days total. Maybe July 17th - 24th. Looks to be right at 3000 miles.

Can anyone chime in if a lowered c6z with zr1 ground effects will be ok for these roads?

Anyone want to meet up along the way?
I am... but this is 10 years old!
Old 06-10-2020, 10:57 AM
PushrodV8
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 43 Posts

You will have to check if the Canadians will let you in without a 2 week quarantine. Border closure just extended into July.

My experience the roads are good in the park, except where they are doing construction. Low speed limits, radar enforcement too.

Beautiful drive with the roof off, esp in the early morning. The bar at Lake MacDonald Lodge makes a good Huckleberry Daquiri if you are so inclined.
Old 06-11-2020, 06:07 AM
darknit
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Was hoping to go on road trip July 16-24th. With at least half those days across the Canada border. Now I see the June 21st border opening might not happen. Going the sun highway in Glacier and Sea to Sky highway in Vancouver being my main goals. I currently only booked 1 night stay at Lake McDonald lodge.

I am a little worried how low my c6z sits, previous owner dropped it a bit and added zr1 ground effects.

Quick Reply: Has anyone driven to/into Glacier National Park?