C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grand Sport/Z51 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 02:44 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Grand Sport/Z51 question

I just finished a Buyer's tour experience from the NCM and had the greatest time watching my car being assembled (if you get a chance to do a buyer's tour...DO IT!). During my tour, my guide was kind enough to grab as many build sheets as he could from my vehicle as it moved down the line (for those who don't know, these are the sheets with all of the options codes so that the assembler's know which parts go on that particular vehicle...i.e. F55, A6, NPP, etc.)...there are several sheets for the different sub assembly lines.

I noticed that my sheets had the Z51 (I think it said Perf Pkg in the same box as well). I'd just like to ask for a little clarification here for my own information. Is the Grand Sport option the equivalent of Z51? Is it a Z51 with a wide body? I also got the F55 Magnetic Selective Ride control....I've seen threads in the archives here and in web searches about "F55 or Z51"... were they independent options that couldn't be combined before (they are definitely both on my car)?

Excuse my ignorance here, I did search the forums and Google, and didn't find my answer. I'd really appreciate some insight!

And, by the way....if you have the opportunity to do a buyer's tour, do it! I spent 2 days with my own private tour guide wandering the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. I asked literally hundreds of questions and learned so much about the car and how things fit together and work. I met some great people on the line.

As an example....I was standing in one of the aisles when the line went on break. A guy comes out from the drive train assembly line and see's me standing with my tour guide holding a stack build sheets. He looks over at us and tells us to "wait there a sec!" He goes back to his work area (a part of the line that I did not have access to) and comes back a few minutes later...with the build sheets for my transmission, suspension and brakes. I would have never even know to ask for them, and he'd seen my sequence number in the stack in my hand and grabbed them out of the trash for me. As it turns out, I recognize him as one of the guys featured in the Ultimate Factories - Corvette cable TV show. I asked him about the experience and he smiled and said with a smile..."Yep, that was my 15 minutes of fame!". A great guy and what a cool thing to do for a stranger.

A truly amazing experience and something I'll never forget!
Old 09-15-2010, 02:49 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,969 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I just finished a Buyer's tour experience from the NCM and had the greatest time watching my car being assembled (if you get a chance to do a buyer's tour...DO IT!). During my tour, my guide was kind enough to grab as many build sheets as he could from my vehicle as it moved down the line (for those who don't know, these are the sheets with all of the options codes so that the assembler's know which parts go on that particular vehicle...i.e. F55, A6, NPP, etc.)...there are several sheets for the different sub assembly lines.

I noticed that my sheets had the Z51 (I think it said Perf Pkg in the same box as well). I'd just like to ask for a little clarification here for my own information. Is the Grand Sport option the equivalent of Z51? There used to be a separate, Z51 option before the GS came out as a model. Is it a Z51 with a wide body? It's got more content than a Z51 with a widebody. I also got the F55 Magnetic Selective Ride control....I've seen threads in the archives here and in web searches about "F55 or Z51"... were they independent options that couldn't be combined before (they are definitely both on my car)? They were completely different and mutually exclusive options. You could have one but not the other since they're both suspension options.

Excuse my ignorance here, I did search the forums and Google, and didn't find my answer. I'd really appreciate some insight!

And, by the way....if you have the opportunity to do a buyer's tour, do it! I spent 2 days with my own private tour guide wandering the Bowling Green Assembly Plant. I asked literally hundreds of questions and learned so much about the car and how things fit together and work. I met some great people on the line.

As an example....I was standing in one of the aisles when the line went on break. A guy comes out from the drive train assembly line and see's me standing with my tour guide holding a stack build sheets. He looks over at us and tells us to "wait there a sec!" He goes back to his work area (a part of the line that I did not have access to) and comes back a few minutes later...with the build sheets for my transmission, suspension and brakes. I would have never even know to ask for them, and he'd seen my sequence number in the stack in my hand and grabbed them out of the trash for me. As it turns out, I recognize him as one of the guys featured in the Ultimate Factories - Corvette cable TV show. I asked him about the experience and he smiled and said with a smile..."Yep, that was my 15 minutes of fame!". A great guy and what a cool thing to do for a stranger.

A truly amazing experience and something I'll never forget!
See above items.
Old 09-15-2010, 03:18 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

I guess it's the mutually exclusive options part that's confusing me. My car definitely has both the Z51 and F55 on the build sheets. Is there something different in the suspension now that allows both to coexist?

I know I probably won't care once my car is finally delivered, but while I'm waiting, I'm still trying to learn every detail I can.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:10 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

maybe a dealer will chime in who has filled out a 2011 order form. to my knowledge, the GS is a model unto itself. while it incorporates some of the pieces that used to make up the Z51 option, it goes much further in the GS model....such as the wide body, different wheels, tires, oil dry sump, etc. in essence, there is no option called Z51 any longer to be checked off and hasn't been as of the advent of the GS model.

I believe it's as of this year you can order a GS with the F55 option, and while that option (F55) shared some things in common with the Z51 option, it has at least one thing decidedly different: the shocks.

so we'll just have to wait until someone else gives more info.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:04 AM
wrogers
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

question: After your "buyer's tour", how long did you have to wait for delivery?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:50 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Buyer's Tour was Sept. 9th and 10th....wheels didn't "touchdown" till Monday morning the 13th. I was told on the tour that GM would do a quality hold for 2 weeks....but my dealer (MacMulken) called me last week to tell me it would be delivered to my courtesy delivery dealer in Orange County, CA on Wednesday the 22nd. So, at least in my case (assuming the delivery happens as scheduled), it was like 9 or 10 days from coming off the line to delivery across the country. I'm assuming there was some luck in shipping scheduling, etc. in there.
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 AM
calmtgguy
Le Mans Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The GS replaced the Z51 performance package, but all Gs's have the RPO code "Z51" and all the content of the Z51 performance package, springs, sway bars, engine oil, power steering, transmission, differential coolers, and the MZ6 manual transmission or preformance rear axle ratio if it's a automatic "M6". In addition to all the Z51 content the GS has the larger Z06 brakes, larger Z06 size tires and GS wheels, and the Z06 dry sump oiling system if it's equipped with the manual transmission.

The F55 option is a set of magnetic selective ride control shocks that will replace the Z51 shocks that would have come on your GS had you not ordered the F55 option. In previous, '05 and '06 C6's the F55 option was just the magnetic selective ride control shocks, and in '07 and up coupes and verts the F55 option got you the larger J55 cross drilled brakes that came on all Z51's from '05 through '09.

Congratulations on your new Vette, you're going to love it!
Old 09-19-2010, 04:03 AM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The best suspension setup is a Z51 with a F55. 2011+ GS's have that factory option. 2009-2011 ZR1's had that option also.

In 2010, the $1,700 Z51 option went away. If you buy a 2010+ base coupe, you can't get the Z51 option. You MUST buy a GS in order to get the Z51 option. In 2011, GM started to offer the F55 with the Z51 option, but again, one has to buy a GS. It is GM marketing.

They know the Z51 option was a steal at $1,700 and everyone wanted it. So they removed it as an option in 2010 and made you get the GS, which was another $6,000 over the base coupe.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:21 AM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=LBear;1575368369]The best suspension setup is a Z51 with a F55.
At least for track use.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 AM
jksvet
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 15 Posts

This is from a previous thread. I think it should answer your question. I just copied and pasted it.

I just finished putting a GS conversion on my '07 Z51 coupe. Per GM replacement parts (thanks Gene and Patrick), I found the following:

GS, Z51 and Z06 all use the same front sway

GS and Z06 use the same rear sway ... Z51 is smaller

GS and Z51 use the same springs ... Z06 is stiffer

GS and Z06 use the same front shocks ... Z51 is different

GS, Z51 and Z06 all have different rear shocks

Base model uses completely different parts.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:33 PM
mpuzach
Race Director

Received 1,191 Likes on 594 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
...During my tour, my guide was kind enough to grab as many build sheets as he could from my vehicle as it moved down the line (for those who don't know, these are the sheets with all of the options codes so that the assembler's know which parts go on that particular vehicle...i.e. F55, A6, NPP, etc.)...
Just to clarify, one thing you will never see on a Corvette build sheet is "A6"; it's not an RPO code. For reasons unknown to me, members of this forum use the term "A6" to refer to the 6-speed automatic transmission as if it was an RPO code. (Just like they like to use "M6" as if it was the RPO code for the 6-speed manual transmission.) The RPO code for the auto is MX0; for the manual it's MN6 for non-Z51 and non-Grand Sport cars, MZ6 for Z51s and Grand Sports.
Old 09-19-2010, 12:49 PM
RicK T
Team Owner

Received 561 Likes on 455 Posts

Originally Posted by jksvet
This is from a previous thread. I think it should answer your question. I just copied and pasted it.

I just finished putting a GS conversion on my '07 Z51 coupe. Per GM replacement parts (thanks Gene and Patrick), I found the following:

GS, Z51 and Z06 all use the same front sway

GS and Z06 use the same rear sway ... Z51 is smaller

GS and Z51 use the same springs ... Z06 is stiffer

GS and Z06 use the same front shocks ... Z51 is different

GS, Z51 and Z06 all have different rear shocks

Base model uses completely different parts.
We had a big discussion going trying to determine what the GS is, in terms of suspension. Here I just simplified what is above:

The Grand Sport suspension is:

......Z51 springs and front sway bar
......Z06 rear sway bar (this kind of makes sense)
......Z06 front shocks
......UNIQUE rear shocks
Old 09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by mpuzach
Just to clarify, one thing you will never see on a Corvette build sheet is "A6"; it's not an RPO code. For reasons unknown to me, members of this forum use the term "A6" to refer to the 6-speed automatic transmission as if it was an RPO code. (Just like they like to use "M6" as if it was the RPO code for the 6-speed manual transmission.) The RPO code for the auto is MX0; for the manual it's MN6 for non-Z51 and non-Grand Sport cars, MZ6 for Z51s and Grand Sports.
You are correct...I didn't have the sheet in front of me...it did not specifically have "A6". Some of the larger build sheets had "A" in a box labeled Trans.

Specifically: of the smaller sheets (8.5x11" laser prints on plain paper), I got:

25-10 CORVETTE TRANSMISSION:
  • TRANS HARNESS: 631
  • AUTO TRANS MYC
  • 2.73 AXLE GU2

And

CORVETTE BRAKE LINE 25-10:
  • Z51
  • LEFT 1/2 SHAFT MED
  • RIGHT 1/2 SHAFT MED
  • BRAKES Z06 / Wide Bo
  • Z16

And

CORVETTE SUSPENSION 25-10:
  • REAR STAB MED
  • LWR CNTL ARM BASE
  • RTD F55
  • FRONT SPRING 2576
  • REAR SPRING 2582

In addition (for those who haven't moved on to the next thread by now!), I got 5 larger build sheets (11x17 size on heavier paper) from other parts of the line as well as the individual tags from all of my wheels.

Amusing side note: My tour guide gave me some specific instructions on the careful removal of the masking tape used to hold the sheets to the car. I must have looked at him like I thought he was crazy! Well apparently according to him, some Corvette owners are pretty **** when it comes to stuff like this (imagine that?). I thought that the masking tape added to the character of the whole package and gently folded it over and left it on. One of the assemblers from the line apologized for ripping one of the sheets a bit (he didn't know we were waiting for it)....commenting on the quality of "GM's finest masking tape!"
Old 09-20-2010, 02:07 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,390 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by RicK T
We had a big discussion going trying to determine what the GS is, in terms of suspension. Here I just simplified what is above:

The Grand Sport suspension is:

......Z51 springs and front sway bar
......Z06 rear sway bar (this kind of makes sense)
......Z06 front shocks
......UNIQUE rear shocks
How do the GS springs compare to the Z06, front & rear?
I think the Z06 springs are stiffer, but not sure.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:54 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by calmtgguy
The GS replaced the Z51 performance package, but all Gs's have the RPO code "Z51" and all the content of the Z51 performance package, springs, sway bars, engine oil, power steering, transmission, differential coolers, and the MZ6 manual transmission or preformance rear axle ratio if it's a automatic "M6". In addition to all the Z51 content the GS has the larger Z06 brakes, larger Z06 size tires and GS wheels, and the Z06 dry sump oiling system if it's equipped with the manual transmission.

The F55 option is a set of magnetic selective ride control shocks that will replace the Z51 shocks that would have come on your GS had you not ordered the F55 option. In previous, '05 and '06 C6's the F55 option was just the magnetic selective ride control shocks, and in '07 and up coupes and verts the F55 option got you the larger J55 cross drilled brakes that came on all Z51's from '05 through '09.

Congratulations on your new Vette, you're going to love it!
Thanks, that clarifies a lot! It also includes all the other "body" pieces, like the front spoiler, wide rear body, different front fenders, etc. on the GS in addition to the wider wheels which fill out those wheel wells.

I must say, tho, I now see how ordering an F55 GS gets one quite a bit of former Z51 pieces, as well as pieces from the Z06 and unique GS pieces. It's very interesting.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:03 PM
flyboy48
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The package is referred to as Z16 on the Grand Sport. You get basically everything a Z06 has, except for the engine of course.

Mine is supposed to be built the week of Sept. 27th. Going to the museum and picking the girl up.

Tom
Old 10-26-2010, 07:32 AM
Vortex of Hotness
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

What a great post! I'm up at 5:00AM - can't sleep because I'm torn over which suspension to go with on a new GS. Digging around on the 'ol corvette forum pays off again. Thanks everybody for participating... now back to bed.

Get notified of new replies

To Grand Sport/Z51 question

Quick Reply: Grand Sport/Z51 question