C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a make-over on a C6 this season

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 AM
4MuscleMachines
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always been a harsh critic of these type of builds but I actually think they look pretty good!

Last edited by 4MuscleMachines; 11-07-2010 at 02:31 AM.
Old 11-09-2010, 02:32 PM
CCR-Host
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vettedoogie
I do agree with the idea of reflecting on the heritage. I'm just not interested in yet another C2 made out of a C6...it has been done enough IMHO.

As far as GM, I was disappointed that the original GS wasn't followed more closely. In my world it would have been available only in the original blue and white colors, striped similarly to the original. I would like to see working side pipes and original looking wheels. It would also at least have had a version that is stripped of all the excess equipment and given a factory-enhanced LS3 or LS7.

Best of luck with your project.
Thanks for the good wishes. I think you can see from the SEMA photo's the CSOC GS is anything but another C2 made out of a C6. The Rossi model is far closer to your concerns and objections. It has more of a "kit" look to it. IMO, the CSOC team has met their intentions of creating a nostalgic blend with new styling. Good job guys!
Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by CCR-Host
Thanks for the good wishes. I think you can see from the SEMA photo's the CSOC GS is anything but another C2 made out of a C6. The Rossi model is far closer to your concerns and objections. It has more of a "kit" look to it. IMO, the CSOC team has met their intentions of creating a nostalgic blend with new styling. Good job guys!
So this is the car you ended up with?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:02 PM
CCR-Host
Heel & Toe

So this is the car you ended up with?
Yes! The gun-metal gray Vette is the car built by CSOC on Chop Cut Rebuild. The light colored Vette with metal bumpers is from a company in Michigan. BIG difference in the look and the intent!
Old 11-09-2010, 03:14 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Yes! The gun-metal gray Vette is the car built by CSOC on Chop Cut Rebuild. The light colored Vette with metal bumpers is from a company in Michigan. BIG difference in the look and the intent!
Big difference between the front end design I saw earlier and the end product. So how much influence (if any) do you have in any of the designs that end up being done on the show?
Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Hi Dan,

It's nice to have you on-board here. I'm a big fan of your show, lame jokes and all.

How much of that Charger is still original?

It reminds me of a old story about George Washington's ax. "The handle wore out so I replaced it, then the head gave out so I replaced it too." But it's still George Washington's ax.

Those unibody cars are the worst when it comes to rust.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:57 PM
tomc8at
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I missed the show... Will they replay it???
Old 11-09-2010, 03:58 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by tomc8at
They just did the segment where they added the Edelbrock E-Force...it was just on.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:44 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by tomc8at
Do you have a DVR? They usally rerun it a couple times a week.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:14 PM
CCR-Host
Heel & Toe

Big difference between the front end design I saw earlier and the end product. So how much influence (if any) do you have in any of the designs that end up being done on the show?
Yes, big difference!

I think many people are under the impression that the show builds these cars. Not so. What we try to do, is find interesting projects that would be built even if we weren't there to document it. I guess that means we don't have much influence at all. If there is any, it's that companies who support our series have their products installed by the builder, which isn't usually a problem for the builders - after all, it's free stuff! In some cases, the builders will ask us to approach a product manufacturer and ask for a donation to the build. That is what happened with Edelbrock this year. We approached them and they kindly donated at our request.

The reason for the design change is something you will see in an upcoming episode. It was done for some very logical and logistical reasons.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:19 PM
CCR-Host
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Vasta
Hi Dan,

It's nice to have you on-board here. I'm a big fan of your show, lame jokes and all.

How much of that Charger is still original?

It reminds me of a old story about George Washington's ax. "The handle wore out so I replaced it, then the head gave out so I replaced it too." But it's still George Washington's ax.

Those unibody cars are the worst when it comes to rust.
In the case of the Charger, we took away a little more than most would because we had an exceptional sponsor in AMD, who had no issues in having us use as much of their sheet metal as we wanted. So, even some things that were borderline repairable (like the drivers door) were tossed away.

Essentially, the firewall, A pillars, front rails, dash, roof substructure, and inner rockers were saved. I couldn't say exactly what that percentage is, but if you saw the shot of the parts on the floor at AMD, you can see everything we used.

I think we can safely say the original tape around the axe handle was re-used.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:24 PM
vettedoogie
Le Mans Master

Yes, big difference!

I think many people are under the impression that the show builds these cars. Not so. What we try to do, is find interesting projects that would be built even if we weren't there to document it. I guess that means we don't have much influence at all. If there is any, it's that companies who support our series have their products installed by the builder, which isn't usually a problem for the builders - after all, it's free stuff! In some cases, the builders will ask us to approach a product manufacturer and ask for a donation to the build. That is what happened with Edelbrock this year. We approached them and they kindly donated at our request.

The reason for the design change is something you will see in an upcoming episode. It was done for some very logical and logistical reasons.
Let me know if you need a low-mileage, STOCK, C6 convertible to get stuff "donated" to!
Old 11-09-2010, 09:45 PM
CCR-Host
Heel & Toe

Let me know if you need a low-mileage, STOCK, C6 convertible to get stuff "donated" to!
I'll put you on the list!
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

I think we can safely say the original tape around the axe handle was re-used.
Too funny!

Thanks Dan, your humor is one of the reasons I keep watching.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:21 PM
CCR-Host
Heel & Toe

How do I post a picture from my computer? When I try to post, it asks for a website rather than a simple upload. Can you or anyone here help with this?
Old 11-12-2010, 01:44 PM
1 slow 97
Melting Slicks

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

you can email me pics and I would be happy to upload them for you jaugerinos@gmail.com or you can go to a photo hosting site like www.photobucket, upload them there and then you can post them using the img tags.

Pics Dan emailed

Last edited by 1 slow 97; 11-12-2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-12-2010, 02:14 PM
Vasta
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

It's easy once you get the hang of it. I like http://tinypic.com to host my pictures. Once you get the picture you want uploaded to Tinypic you then right click on the [IMG] code that's on their page and copy it, then paste it into the CF thread.

Here's a tutorial: http://forums.corvetteforum.com/help...tep-guide.html

Get notified of new replies

To Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a make-over on a C6 this season

Old 11-13-2010, 10:24 AM
fadingrockstar
Racer

Looks like the project turned out well, looking forward to watching the rest of the season.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:27 AM
jgauger
Instructor

Default C2

Some of you may not like this sort of thing, but you need to face reality. The old "matching numbers" stuff has about ran its course because you can't drive them in fear of damaging something or blowing an original motor, there by devaluing the car considerably. If you were to drive one of these cars or if you were old enough to remember how crappy the old cars drove, you would realize how much of an improvement these conversions are. If you would talk to some of the people who are making a business out of updating old corvettes you would find that most of them are several cars behind. In other words plenty of customers for this kind of thing. I talked to one of these guys at the Goodguys show in Texas and he said all of his cars have sold from &120,000.00 to $200,000.00. Much more than a 300 horse midyear corvette. This is the coming thing, like it or not. These cars are way cool to drive, if you could afford one. If I could afford it, I would have a couple of C1's and a couple of C2's. These cars drive just like new corvettes and look like old corvettes. It doesn't get much better than this.
Old 11-13-2010, 11:14 PM
CCR-Host
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jgauger
Some of you may not like this sort of thing, but you need to face reality. The old "matching numbers" stuff has about ran its course because you can't drive them in fear of damaging something or blowing an original motor, there by devaluing the car considerably. If you were to drive one of these cars or if you were old enough to remember how crappy the old cars drove, you would realize how much of an improvement these conversions are. If you would talk to some of the people who are making a business out of updating old corvettes you would find that most of them are several cars behind. In other words plenty of customers for this kind of thing. I talked to one of these guys at the Goodguys show in Texas and he said all of his cars have sold from &120,000.00 to $200,000.00. Much more than a 300 horse midyear corvette. This is the coming thing, like it or not. These cars are way cool to drive, if you could afford one. If I could afford it, I would have a couple of C1's and a couple of C2's. These cars drive just like new corvettes and look like old corvettes. It doesn't get much better than this.
This is not an old Vette given modern upgrades. It's a new Vette that was given a nostalgic design.

Quick Reply: Chop Cut Rebuild is doing a make-over on a C6 this season