C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack stands under frame rails?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 09:31 AM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Jack stands under frame rails?

I'm getting ready to do a front and rear brake job on my 2008 C6 Z51. I have the shop manual and it says not to support the vehicle at the frame rails on jack stands. I've seen pictures here on the CF of C6 owners doing this apparently without any repercussions. I know where the preffered jacking points are, it just seems so easy to set the car on jack stands at the four lift points on the frame rails using jacking pucks. Your input is appreciated.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:40 AM
Walt White Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,278 Likes on 1,173 Posts

I believe the problem is not that supporting the car under the frame rails will in anyway hurt the car but that the area of the frame rail that is accessible is rather small and smooth and there is a possibility that the car could slip off of the jack stand.
Old 11-10-2010, 09:43 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I've set my car on jack stands (with jacking pucks) at the frame slots many times. I generally augment this with a floor jack and cross-beam adaptor at the preferred lift point for added safety. I've never had a problem doing this. I make sure the car is stable on the jack stands. I use the rectangular, snap-in BMW jacking pucks which seem to fit-in the 'cradle' of my jack stands pretty well.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:10 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks for the quick responses. I've got it on the jack stands at the frame rails and going forward with the brake job.
Old 11-10-2010, 12:28 PM
Vette5.5
Le Mans Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be fine. Haven't done a brake job on a C6, but did on my C5 and the rear caliper bolt's were something else. Took everything I had on a large breaker bar to finally get them loose. I only mention this, as you may be pushing thing's around a bit, if not securely supported.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:14 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Vette5.5
You should be fine. Haven't done a brake job on a C6, but did on my C5 and the rear caliper bolt's were something else. Took everything I had on a large breaker bar to finally get them loose. I only mention this, as you may be pushing thing's around a bit, if not securely supported.
That's very good advice. My air impact made short work of those tight bolts.

Get notified of new replies

To Jack stands under frame rails?

Quick Reply: Jack stands under frame rails?