C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Reduced Engine Power" PLEASE HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 07:10 PM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Funny messages or no messages.

Maybe something else is wrong but not showing up on DIC, I have had AH/TC error codes that did NOT show up on DIC. The latest is that I had new tires installed and got something like this type message on DIC: tire flat, limited speed not over 55 mph. Actually, there was 30 psi in each tire because I got out MY OWN guage and measured. Drove back and forth and then message went away. No problem since. Do you have sensors on tires and maybe not getting message that tires might be low? Just for what it is worth. Good luck!
Old 11-15-2010, 07:45 PM
d.medic
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Default most

Originally Posted by jabbott
So here is my question back. Now the guy who owns the car has said he does not want to sell it, he wants it fixes. Other then bashing others for helping, what have you done to actually help the guy. The question is not pointed at any one particular person but a couple on here that seem to remarks, but none of it helping the guy. Quicksilver I do understand where you are coming from, but he has stated that he does not want to sell it. He did call me earlier, my knowledge of this particular car in probably better then the line workers who originally built it. So we will fix it and it will be what it once was. I still believe this was the first ZO6 in the 10's, as none of the others backed up their times. This car pulled 8 consecutive 10.70-73 passes in a row with no cool down and it was in the 90's before the clutch exploded during a burn out on run 9.
This car is by far he fastest ZO6 with a stock motor and that was not supercharged I have every had or worked on, or driven. This car never got to make a pass on the 3 disc carbon clutch in it. I think it would have gone a high 10.50 with that since we would have been able to launch the car hard. Very fast car, and this car has a soul so it should be treated as such and not thrown away.

You will find that a lot of people around here don’t want to help and have a very short memory. It only takes a couple of seconds in the tech forum to find factory unmodded car on their third or fourth trip to the dealer for the same problem. How about the active handling sticky? Should all those people sell their car? Has GM fixed all of them? Nope. They have tried but their fix has not fixed all of them.
I thank you for trying to help someone out with a car you haven’t worked on in years. I’m sure the owner does as well.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 PM
'06 Quicksilver Z06
Team Owner

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

... Other then bashing others for helping, what have you done to actually help the guy. The question is not pointed at any one particular person but a couple on here that seem to remarks, but none of it helping the guy. Quicksilver I do understand where you are coming from, but he has stated that he does not want to sell it. He did call me earlier, my knowledge of this particular car in probably better then the line workers who originally built it. So we will fix it and it will be what it once was. I still believe this was the first ZO6 in the 10's, as none of the others backed up their times. This car pulled 8 consecutive 10.70-73 passes in a row with no cool down and it was in the 90's before the clutch exploded during a burn out on run 9.
This car is by far he fastest ZO6 with a stock motor and that was not supercharged I have every had or worked on, or driven. This car never got to make a pass on the 3 disc carbon clutch in it. I think it would have gone a high 10.50 with that since we would have been able to launch the car hard. Very fast car, and this car has a soul so it should be treated as such and not thrown away.
No one is being "bashed" here. Nobody is saying that you, or your shop, had anything to do with this, so lets get that out of the way now so that no further inference that this is what is going on here, is made.

As far as offering him help, I'd only say this: Just as sometimes divorce is the correct option in a marital relationship gone bad, just as leaving a job to take another is the correct option in a career headed in the wrong direction, so can walking away from a problem vehicle be the correct option.

Reading the posts related to this, it seems like this owner got off on the wrong foot, and ended up with a car which seems to have had prior episodes of the same issue, before he bought it.

So what's wrong with the advice to him to start over with a new slate???

It's just as legitimate as the other "advice" in here.

And to me, looking at how long this same problem has persisted for as long as it has, with no one being able to truly say that it can even be resolved, it's looking like it's time to walk away from this one.....especially if there is a buyer out there who would like to try his luck, throw his hat into the ring, in attempting to fix it, and offering to buy it.

The current owner says he doesn't want to sell it to someone who is serious about buying it??????????

If this is true, then I hope he doesn't end up regretting passing up a chance to get shed of his "Reduced engine problem" once and for &^%$&*% all.

Getting rid of that car, is the only surefire way to eliminate his problem. If he can "comfortably" do that, then that may be his best move.

Last edited by '06 Quicksilver Z06; 11-15-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 PM
LBear
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by VET4LES
Interesting. Most members on this forum have a different opinion about buying modded Corvettes.
Yep, modded cars are the HARDEST cars to sell. There are guys with heavily modded cars that can't sell their cars for months. Plus, they get hosed and lose 90% of all the money they put into the mods.
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 PM
Zip Corvettes
Platinum Supporting Vendor

Received 332 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by LBear
Yep, modded cars are the HARDEST cars to sell. There are guys with heavily modded cars that can't sell their cars for months. Plus, they get hosed and lose 90% of all the money they put into the mods.
It is all in due time, first is the example or definition I guess of a modded car. That definition can be different for everyone, mine is a properly built car with documentation. This particular car graced several magazines back in 2006 and it was the car used to engineer some performance platforms. That makes this car unique and worth more then a standard 06 ZO6. It is obviously a personal matter, but look at the past, show me a bone stock car that is worth more than the tuner built counterpart. Obviously there were less "tuners" back then and only time will tell, but I think you would be hardpressed to find a car that was stock that was worth more then it's modified counterpart. Cars that are built properly do not lose in value, agree sometimes they can be harder to sell, but it also depends on how quick you are trying to sell them. I sold Zip's C5 that was our NCCC car that was in a couple of ads with me for way more then I paid for and had in it and what any C5 was going for at the time. It was done right and it did what we said it did, to the new owner that was very important and he paid upfront instead of wasting money trying to duplicate it.

PS: Just a tip. Never use the word "guarantee" because you can "die" from it! The old saying: "Talk is cheap".
Obviously we don't know each other, but yes I can guarantee it. We have more capabilities then what any dealership has. I am not going to go into it, but yes we can find the issue and fix this car. The only issue is right now we are about 1000 miles apart and working on this over the internet which makes it a little more difficult. So since you are up to speed on electronics, the ones in this and your car are very smart and they are also just circuits, the car has already narrowed the issues by what is going on with it. Wheel sensors will not cause a reduced power, but there are only a couple of things that will which has narrowed down the issue.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:06 AM
2006c6keller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Shame that you can't read and understand simple english!

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
Maybe something else is wrong but not showing up on DIC, I have had AH/TC error codes that did NOT show up on DIC. The latest is that I had new tires installed and got something like this type message on DIC: tire flat, limited speed not over 55 mph. Actually, there was 30 psi in each tire because I got out MY OWN guage and measured. Drove back and forth and then message went away. No problem since. Do you have sensors on tires and maybe not getting message that tires might be low? Just for what it is worth. Good luck!
It is all in due time, first is the example or definition I guess of a modded car. That definition can be different for everyone, mine is a properly built car with documentation. This particular car graced several magazines back in 2006 and it was the car used to engineer some performance platforms. That makes this car unique and worth more then a standard 06 ZO6. It is obviously a personal matter, but look at the past, show me a bone stock car that is worth more than the tuner built counterpart. Obviously there were less "tuners" back then and only time will tell, but I think you would be hardpressed to find a car that was stock that was worth more then it's modified counterpart. Cars that are built properly do not lose in value, agree sometimes they can be harder to sell, but it also depends on how quick you are trying to sell them. I sold Zip's C5 that was our NCCC car that was in a couple of ads with me for way more then I paid for and had in it and what any C5 was going for at the time. It was done right and it did what we said it did, to the new owner that was very important and he paid upfront instead of wasting money trying to duplicate it.

Obviously we don't know each other, but yes I can guarantee it. We have more capabilities then what any dealership has. I am not going to go into it, but yes we can find the issue and fix this car. The only issue is right now we are about 1000 miles apart and working on this over the internet which makes it a little more difficult. So since you are up to speed on electronics, the ones in this and your car are very smart and they are also just circuits, the car has already narrowed the issues by what is going on with it. Wheel sensors will not cause a reduced power, but there are only a couple of things that will which has narrowed down the issue.
It is shame that you profess to be an EXPERT when you cannot understand what you read, there is a difference BETWEEN WHEEL and TIRES and the tire monitor pressure sensors. So get off of your high horse before you fall off and spur yourself.

You really present yourself as a PROFESSIONAL person representing ZIP PRODUCTS, I think myself and others don't think so. You sound like an immature braggard. Your public relations with potentional customers is definitely lacking for wearing a "chip" on YOUR shoulder. People like you never learn from YOUR MISTAKES.

Last edited by 2006c6keller; 11-16-2010 at 02:18 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:06 AM
Zip Corvettes

Originally Posted by 2006c6keller
It is shame that you profess to be an EXPERT when you cannot understand what you read, there is a difference BETWEEN WHEEL and TIRES and the tire monitor pressure sensors. So get off of your high horse before you fall off and spur yourself.

You really present yourself as a PROFESSIONAL person representing ZIP PRODUCTS, I think myself and others don't think so. You sound like an immature braggard. Your public relations with potentional customers is definitely lacking for wearing a "chip" on YOUR shoulder. People like you never learn from YOUR MISTAKES.
Look your making this about something it is not. I don't like responding to threads because these are the remarks that usually get made.
I am not some young kid responding to a thread. If you look at my previous thread, we built this car originally. Yes it has been through some abusive owners and other modifications by owners that we are not aware of.
You guys attacked me and my crediability because I said I can fix the car. I responded with what I am we (ZIP) are capable of. Yes it is called a TPWS (Tire Pressure Warning Sensor) but slang is wheel sensor, which again will not cause this issue. I realize that may make me sound like I don't know what I am talking about, but I have it handled. There is no Chip on my shoulder, however I do get bothered when someone tells me that we can't do something who has no idea what we are capable of what could be wrong with the car. So if you re-read what you wrote, maybe you can see where I am coming from. As of now this is a he said she said and nothing about helping this customer out.
So as mistakes by me representing Zip and your impression on us, let me ask you, how many other vendors on this forum are helping this customer figure out what is wrong with his car, let alone not charging him anything for my time.
Justin

So I just read everything that you wrote, are you really name calling, seriously. The only ones that have resorted to this in the thread have not helped the customer one bit. However I do understand where Quicksilver is coming from on selling the car, I just don't agree with it and that is fine, he offered advice. I do get annoyed when others come on here and offer nothing that has anything to do with the thread, not when I see it just happening to me but other shops also. If you don't have something positive to help this guy with then don't post it, what you said about the TPWS is fine, but you discounted what I was saying and gave me a tip. I work on these cars and around these cars and design parts for them every day, this is what I do, so I believe I have the background to help this person regardless of what you think. I did not come on here and make this about you and discredit your theories until you attacked what I was saying to him. I mean when you go to the Doctor do you tell him what is wrong with you or do you let him explain what is wrong with you, same case here. I personally listen allot to people, when I am talking to a expert about something I listen and retain everything that is said and then check it out myself. Maybe this thread will do you good if your car every has this issue.
So let's not resort to name calling like in the subj line. Keep it clean and try and help the OP.

Last edited by Zip Corvettes; 11-16-2010 at 10:31 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:14 PM
Ron one
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 20 Posts

This post seems to have gotten a little off track. It seems to me the original question was about reduced engine power. Not whether or not the car is modded.

Don't laugh, maybe I missed it but does this car have tire pressure sensors? If one or more tires is under inflated the ECM will reduce engine power.

Just a thought.

Good luck
Old 11-16-2010, 04:26 PM
Zip Corvettes

Ron,
the thread really went another course all together.
Yes the car has pressure sensors. Even if one were to fail though you will not get a reduced power but you will get a traction code that will not allow the car above I think 80 mph. I have run this particular car without sensors all together at the drag strip and it was fine as long as the traction control was disabled. This customer is in touch with me through email because of the direction of the thread so we are working on it now.
Semper Fi
Justin
Old 11-18-2010, 11:22 PM
m3corvette
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow tough group around here. I was the original owner of this car and before and after mods had very few/minor issues ever. I find it hard to believe that anyone would attack Zip for coming on the forum here to help a member with issues and asking nothing in return. Try to call a lawyer for free advice(multi times) and see what the response is, but it is the world we live in now!

Josh, it's a great car with some great history and worked on/built by a great company........ZIP. I have not dealt with Zip in the last few years while I have been out of the Vette world, but now with a 2010 Z06 I look forward to building a relationship with them again and I have found J Abbott to be one of the most knowledgeable Corvette persons I have ever met. He will help you get it straight and for FREE I'm sure. What more could you ask for.

This car was cared for better than my kids (ha ha) by Zip and myself. I sold it to Paul in Florida and Paul is a good guy, but I"m sure Paul "drove it like he stole it" (sorry Paul) and it was not "run" through Zip's shop every few weeks like I did (I'm alot older than Paul so I could afford it- ha ha sorry again Paul). I'm willing to bet that if you look to see want mods Paul did to this car (I don't know) that anything involving electrical on the car could be the problem.

I hope you get it fixed soon and again enjoy it when you do, it's a great car. I know Abbott will be able to help, that is after he finishes working on my Z. Scott

Quick Reply: "Reduced Engine Power" PLEASE HELP!!