C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buy/Not Buy C6 Grand Sport Magnetic Selective Ride Control Option

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2011, 11:56 PM
PaulB
Melting Slicks

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts

The Mag ride will keep control of your care before you even know its time to react. It acts faster than we can think. Its a must as far as I am concerned...
Old 01-27-2011, 01:53 AM
Tenorplayer23
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for you input on the Magnetic Selective Ride Control Option. Good to hear the actual experiences.

I agree, the cost of the option isn't a deal breaker. However, in assessing my C5 purchase, I spoke with one of the suspension people at Chevrolet doing suspension tuning at their track in Arizona back in 2003. At the time, our discussion led me to believe that the C5 w/Z51 add-on was going to be by far the best (and best value) suspension option. I think that he was right-on and I picked wisely.

However, with the "tweeking" they have given to the Grand Sport, is it well worth the extra or a marginal benefit over the GS suspension. My typical driving will be street and highway, a lot of it in the Northeast where pavement projects start as soon as the ground thaws. And, my annual mileage is probably a few K miles/year (if that helps anymore).

Feel free to add anything else. Would appreciate it.

BTW, my current '03 Millennium Yellow C5 6sp./Z51 equipped Coupe is a total cream puff (approx. 7K miles.....don't ask) and hardly seems that it should be replaced. But, the appeal of the 2011 Velocity Yellow GS form over the base, with the higher output/hand built engine (wink, wink) and other improvement over the C5 are just calling me. And this time, I think the chrome wheels might be the ticket over the painted silver. They should have offered a high polish GS aluminum wheel with slightly less bling/luster as the chromed version....oh well, chrome will have to do, I guess.

Thanks again for the input. Look forward to hearing more.

See ya,

Bob
Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 AM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

I've got it on my 2011 GS...and I waited a few extra months for the 2011's just to get that (and the USB port to play music from a thumbdrive). As the OP indicated, I too will probably never track my car....but once I decided on the GS as the right price/performance/look model for me, I didn't want to cut any corners on performance.

I tend to just put it in Sport mode intermittently as part of my driving experience. If there's a corner coming up (or a clover leaf on ramp to the freeway), I'll instinctively flick the **** into Sport mode approaching the curve, and then flip it back to tour once I've completed the turn. In reality, I'm not pushing the car anywhere near any limit, so maybe it doesn't make a huge difference, but even when it's a barely noticeable difference, it still part of the experience.

If I didn't have it, I probably wouldn't miss it, but having it and using it as part of the overall driving experience of the car is well worth it to me. I'd personally feel much better about spending the extra money on a performance enhancement (like the F55) over a visual enhancement (like chrome wheels).
Old 01-27-2011, 02:39 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Hit (search) You Tube. When developing MR for the 2003 50th Anniversary Vette (it's been improved greatly since) GM released video and pics of a C5 with and without MR. Going over dips and bumps-common road surfaces...with normal (including Z51) the wheels at times leave the the road surface (generally not a good thing--getting "air" is great for skateboarders, not cars)--a little air at 40 mph..while the exact same car with MR, same speed, bumps etc stayed planted and in contact with the ground at 40. It isn't just a "comfort" thing which many assume--it is very much a handling item, even at 30 mph, when dealing with less then perfect road surfaces.

The ZR1 has it as standard, its offerred on the Z06, Ferrari and Lambo use it I believe....gotta think there is a reason for it.
Old 01-27-2011, 08:43 AM
W-5 Ret.
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

As an owner of a 2011 GS coupe with mn6sp and F55 I can honestly tell you to get it and you won't be sorry, you have the best of both worlds at the twist of a ****. Love the ride in tour mode, just a tad bit softer than none F55 cars, the wife likes it a lot!
Old 01-27-2011, 08:57 AM
yellersubvette
Racer

There is a difference between the two modes and I think its worth it. Whenever I want to give the wife white knuckles I switch to sport mode. Definitely a tighter ride in sport.
As far as the wheels go. Check out some pics of Velocity Yellow vettes with black wheels. They really pop with yellow calipers.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:17 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Tenorplayer23
Guys,

Am spec'ing out a 2011 Grand Sport Coupe/6sp. for order soon.

My current Corvette is a 2003 Coupe/6sp. with Z51 suspension option. A great car. Picked the correct suspension when I bought this one.

My question: Should I opt for the Magnetic Ride Control Option or not.....and why??? Have never had the pleasure of test driving one and am not likely to anytime in the near future up here in the frozen north.

Could really use your experiences and opinions about this $1700 option. Is it worth it?

Typical driving will probably be entirely street; not likely to be on a track with the car.

Let me know. Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,

Bob
by the m/ride you will love it
Old 01-27-2011, 09:49 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Whether or not its worth it to you I can't say but IMO for an entirely street-driven car the F55 is your best bet....its the finest all-around suspension offered by Corvette. Corvette pioneered the controlled MR suspension and other makers took note...controlled suspension technology is becoming much more widespread. The F55 suspension is mechanically reliable and its performance has been improved over-the-years. Someone mentioned the old 'with and without' photos...they still tell the story:

Name:  CorvetteAirborne.jpg
Views: 3743
Size:  32.8 KB
Old 01-27-2011, 09:57 AM
b4i4getit
Le Mans Master

Received 285 Likes on 193 Posts

Do a value analysis before you spend the money. Some will say it was not worth the money and some say it was. It all depends on what your expectations were for the option. The same can be said about chrome wheels versus painted wheels. They are extra cost but if you really like the look you don't care. You have to decide because it is your car. I had a dealer tell me that F55 option is not worth anything extra on a used car but Z51 was in demand. Something to think about if you want to believe getting the option will increase the value of your car.

Some interesting comments at this link also.

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/foru...d.php?t=141739
Old 01-27-2011, 12:12 PM
sdurg24
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 141 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by W-5 Ret.
As an owner of a 2011 GS coupe with mn6sp and F55 I can honestly tell you to get it and you won't be sorry, you have the best of both worlds at the twist of a ****. Love the ride in tour mode, just a tad bit softer than none F55 cars, the wife likes it a lot!
This is an important opinion in the case of the MSR F55 option because up until this point (2011 model year) you had to choose between the Z51 (or Z16 as it is called in the Grand sport package) or the F55-MSR. Only those people who have the 2011 GS (or limited numbers with the somewhat similar ZR1) have been able to get the performance suspension package (Z51) witht the MSR. Many seem to be missing this point. We now no longer have to choose-we can get both. I was unable to really test the difference because there were not many out there. I went on logic and commonsense (not my strong suit either) and ordered a 2011 GS with the MSR. I can't see how it wouldn't be the best of both worlds but I may be wrong. Time will tell but I did put my money where my mouth is.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:39 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had F55 on my 05 coupe and now my 08 coupe.

I LOVE IT!!!

I would never consider buying a new Corvette without it.
Old 01-27-2011, 12:52 PM
coolcat
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wayne O
Whether or not its worth it to you I can't say but IMO for an entirely street-driven car
the F55 is your best bet....its the finest all-around suspension offered by Corvette.

Corvette pioneered the controlled MR suspension and other makers took note...
controlled suspension technology is becoming much more widespread.
The F55 suspension is mechanically reliable and its performance has been
improved over-the-years.

Old 01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
B y r o n
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 2011 GS because I wanted a "sports car" with handling and horsepower. The F55 option didn't seem like an option to me, more of a must. I'm not going to compete with the car but love to drive the canyon's and twisties. My short time with the car has me loving the handling. Unless money is an issue I would say you're crazy not to get it.

Last edited by B y r o n; 01-27-2011 at 02:42 PM.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
GARYFINN
Team Owner

Location: S/W ,Fla-Ohio State Football isn't a matter of life or death,Its Much More serious than that
Received 1,143 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by mack morrow jr
I have it on my 06. Glad I do. Well worth the money. Makes a real good difference in handling at high speeds or spirited driving.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:40 PM
Crossofiron
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 54 Posts

Default 100% buy it

It is a bit expensive but I had it on my 08 LS3 and it was one of the major reasons that I got it the Z7 option on the Z06 that I just ordered!
Old 01-27-2011, 02:52 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

My daily driver is a 2010 GS vert. I did test drive a 2011 with the MF55 option, and drove it both in sport and touring. I thought it was a total waste, because if I had that option, it would always be in sport, and I cound not tell a difference between my 2010 and the 2011 in sport mode.
Old 01-27-2011, 02:59 PM
yellersubvette
Racer

Nice video coolcat. I was unaware of being able to hook up a computer and tweak the ride. Hmmmm.

Go Buckeyes!!

Get notified of new replies

To Buy/Not Buy C6 Grand Sport Magnetic Selective Ride Control Option

Old 01-28-2011, 09:24 AM
Admiral Ballsy
Racer

One thing to consider is replacement cost. Might not be important in the overall scheme of things, but mag shocks are between $400 and $500 each. And since it's typically seals that go, there's no reason to think that they'll last any longer than standard designs.

~$2000 to replace shocks might be a drop in the bucket, especially since a fair number of cars aren't going to hit replacement mileage anytime soon (IOW, not DDs). But it's something to consider.
Old 01-28-2011, 12:52 PM
laconiajack
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless you autocross your cars you already spent 12% more for a styling option (the G/S), you might as well pop 3% more to get a car that rides and handles well on everyday streets and highways. Don't worry about replacement of the F55 shocks, if you ever need to it will be a far lower cost than the excessive tire replacement costs and increased gasoline consumption associated with a G/S compared to a base Vette. F55 shocks have been standard or optional (depending on model) since 2003 and their have been few reports of them ever needing replacement except under the most extenduating of circumstances.
Old 01-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Rich Mickol
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 199 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Had it in my 2005. Did not order it in my 2007. Just felt it wasn't worth it. Might have changed since 2005 but at that time I couldn't feel a difference.

Quick Reply: Buy/Not Buy C6 Grand Sport Magnetic Selective Ride Control Option