C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Importing Corvette from USA to Canada

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 01:31 AM
myr4ste8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Frank.
When I crossed the border on my way south, I told them why I was going to Virginia and in our discussion I told them that I'd fax them the title 72 hours before returning back, and they were adamant and rude about the fact that it had to be the original title. No fax, no copy. FEDEX the originals only. I guess it depends on where you cross. I see that you are out West. I crossed the 1000 Islands border in Ontario. Not the friendliest border officials...

As for the DRLs, I preferred having them activated and not worry about forgetting to turn them on at a later date. If you don't have them on and get into an accident, you never know what trouble this could bring. I didn't want to worry about another party claiming that it didn't see me because my DRLs were not on.

You're right about Cdn Tire. They would not have know if I had simply turned the switch on for the DRLs rather than have them permanently activated. I just don't want any hassles.

Cheers
Old 03-04-2012, 09:04 AM
Driver_WT
Burning Brakes

Received 124 Likes on 81 Posts
St. Jude Donor '07

I imported a 2008 C6 from New Hampshire two years ago. The dealer issued a New Hampshire temporary permit for me (I also took a Nova Scotia license plate with me just in case - I have 30 days to let NS Registry of Motor Vehicles know that the license plate is now on a different car), Nova Scotia insurance company issued an insurance card (but it was only good for 20 days), no sales tax in New Hampshire so no issue there. I had the dealer in New Hampshire fax the paperwork to US Customs at Calais Maine. I spent less than 20 minutes at the border.

I programmed the DRL's on the DIC (no need for the dealer). No issue with the bumpers. I saved about $16,000. Flew to Boston, picked up by the salesman, jumped in my C6 and drove home the same day (paperwork had been faxed to US Customs three days earlier).

My car came from MacMulkin Chevrolet in New Hampshire - they are great to work with and they are used to export sales to Canada.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Driver_WT
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by galeslim
Just for clarification!! It appears that the consensus is that bumpers on all C-5's and C6's - nothing needs to be done to them and DRL's are an easy fix. This brings joy to my heart and wallet. I love this forumn and I don't own a vette yet. Thanks for all the help
PM sent to you.

Wade
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM
Californiapch
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by myr4ste8
5- I made copies of all the paperwork and FEDEXed the original clean title on a Monday knowing that it would be at the Canada/US border by 10:00 am on the Tuesday. I knew that I could then cross the border 72 hours after they had received the title, which was 10:00 am on Friday.

The US border does NOT need the original title 72 hours before. They just need a copy faxed so they can do a search to make sure the title is clear. I would not risk Fed Ex-ing a title that could get lost.

Also, weekends I THINK don't count as part of the 72 hours. Info for people to know.

You walk into the US side with your bill of sale and title in hand and the stamp the title with a seal showing the Canadian side the car is OK to enter Canada.

and YES, bring as much documentation on the price you paid, I imported a 2006 Z06 2 years ago and came the the BC area and they said many people re-write bills of sales at lower values to try save money on the 2 BC taxes they have to pay.

I had a photocopy of the sellers drivers license and that showed his signature was the one on the Bill he gave me.

I will be doing the same thing this spring when I import the ZR1 I have sitting in the USA.

Brian

Last edited by Californiapch; 03-04-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
Californiapch
Instructor

Thanks Frank.
When I crossed the border on my way south, I told them why I was going to Virginia and in our discussion I told them that I'd fax them the title 72 hours before returning back, and they were adamant and rude about the fact that it had to be the original title. No fax, no copy. FEDEX the originals only. I guess it depends on where you cross. I see that you are out West. I crossed the 1000 Islands border in Ontario. Not the friendliest border officials...

That is weird,.... I have imported 3 vehicles myself since 2007 and I did it all with copies faxed to the US border.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:52 AM
myr4ste8
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Californiapch
The US border does NOT need the original title 72 hours before. They just need a copy faxed so they can do a search to make sure the title is clear. I would not risk Fed Ex-ing a title that could get lost.

Also, weekends I THINK don't count as part of the 72 hours. Info for people to know.
Brian,

It was my understanding from what I had read that a fax of the title would be OK but the two US border guards that I spoke to told me they needed the original title 72 hours before I crossed back. Not negotiable, no faxed copy. I asked how I was supposed to drive back without the original title. The answer was still to FEDEX the original title and driving back was not their problem. Like I said, these guys were not friendly. I was also worried about sending the original title by FEDEX and a fax would have been a lot easier and cheaper. But anyway, it all worked out in the end. It looks like it depends on who you talk to and what border you cross.

And yes, it's 72 hours excluding weekends which is why I drove down on the weekend and picked up the car early Monday morning in order to be back on Friday. I had a blast during that week though.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 AM
coolsrt8
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
Being from Florida, I need to know...

locally grown products??? Oranges? Sugar Cane? Something else?

And that is correct about Florida Sales Tax. If you have the car shipped directly from the dealer out of the state, then drive the rest of the way, you would avoid paying it. That part I know (I do that for a living!!)
I just bought a Classic Camaro from Mecum Auction in Florida and the only way to get a drive away tag is by paying state sales tax, Florida is a ripoff state. I'm bringing my trailer down next week and bringing it home, it's sitting in my garage at my house in Florida
Old 03-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Originally Posted by coolsrt8
I just bought a Classic Camaro from Mecum Auction in Florida and the only way to get a drive away tag is by paying state sales tax, Florida is a ripoff state. I'm bringing my trailer down next week and bringing it home, it's sitting in my garage at my house in Florida
It is the same in California. Driving a car off the lot will mean you pay CA tax - the car needs to be shipped to Nevada at least to save paying tax.

But if you are a out of state car dealer ( auto broker ) you can then drive off the CA lot without paying sales tax.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Californiapch
Instructor

Brian,

It was my understanding from what I had read that a fax of the title would be OK but the two US border guards that I spoke to told me they needed the original title 72 hours before I crossed back. Not negotiable, no faxed copy. I asked how I was supposed to drive back without the original title. The answer was still to FEDEX the original title and driving back was not their problem. Like I said, these guys were not friendly. I was also worried about sending the original title by FEDEX and a fax would have been a lot easier and cheaper. But anyway, it all worked out in the end. It looks like it depends on who you talk to and what border you cross.

And yes, it's 72 hours excluding weekends which is why I drove down on the weekend and picked up the car early Monday morning in order to be back on Friday. I had a blast during that week though.
Harder out east... seems like ON and QUE are sticky.

Montana ( to AB ) and Washington ( to BC ) both allowed faxed copies.

Brian
Old 03-04-2012, 01:08 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver_WT
I programmed the DRL's on the DIC (no need for the dealer). .

Are you sure????......maybe you had a GM Tech2 which is like going to a dealer. If you did it yourself purely with the DIC controls please share the knowledge for many that will be interested in knowing.....including me so I can program mine to stay on!!!! and it won't cost me a 1c........

Frank
Old 03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Driver_WT
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '07

Originally Posted by frankmp
Are you sure????......maybe you had a GM Tech2 which is like going to a dealer. If you did it yourself purely with the DIC controls please share the knowledge for many that will be interested in knowing.....including me so I can program mine to stay on!!!! and it won't cost me a 1c........

Frank
No problem. I just need to find a few minutes to get the car fired up and write down the steps to do it. And definitely no Tech2 in my garage And I have owned the car for two years now and it has never been to a Canadian dealer.

Wade
Old 03-04-2012, 04:30 PM
frankmp
Drifting

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Driver_WT
No problem. I just need to find a few minutes to get the car fired up and write down the steps to do it. And definitely no Tech2 in my garage And I have owned the car for two years now and it has never been to a Canadian dealer.

Wade

thanks Wade....patiently .........
Old 04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
94boosted
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frankmp
thanks Wade....patiently .........
Also curious about this.

So far as I know you have to go to either the dealership or Canadian Tire to have the DRL's activated. Can anyone confirm and/or suggest which place is cheaper?
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,358 Likes on 1,684 Posts

I faxed a copy of the tiltle and bill of sale to the US customs 72 hrs prior to crossing the border at Calais Maine. No issues. When I came home, I stopped at the US border and showed them the original tiltle, and they stamped it, and I was on my way to the Canadian side (Milltown), and paid the Federal portion of the HST (5%), based on the price I paid in US currency, converted to Canadian dollars for the tax, and paid for the RIV form. The part 1 form of the RIV, I brought to CTC and they just checked to make sure the DRL's were on. This is accomplished by leaving the lights on auto mode on the stick. The DIC has nothing to do with controlling the DRL's.
I did not need or did CTC request I neutralize the DRL's . I think it depends on how **** the particular CTC is: Some people have had to get the DRL's neutalized, but around my area, as long as the lights come on when the car starts, there good!
Ie: No changes whatsoever was needed for my car to conform the 2006 corvette for Canadian standards.
The recall letter was sent to RIV, and I received my Canadian approved sticker in 2 weeks or so.

Last edited by 4SUMERZ; 04-13-2012 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Importing Corvette from USA to Canada