C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Non-Ethanol Gas Anyone using it???

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Mike's Sweet 19
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Default Non-Ethanol Gas Anyone using it???

I pulled into a newly renovated Sunoco station and the pump island I pulled into had the normal nozzle and a blue colored nozzle that was for 90 octane non-ethanol gas. I normally use 91 octane with ethanol additives. The non-ethanol was about 40 cents higher than reg unleaded.

Has any one switched to this gas and how did your corvette respond to the different type gas?
Thanks for your help

Mike
Old 04-27-2011, 09:25 PM
CSixDude
Drifting

Received 227 Likes on 146 Posts

I'd gladly pay 40 cents a more per gallon for non-ethanol gas if I could find it. Problem is, there are very few stations left that even sell it, for any price. It's pretty much impossible to get in Texas. Other states may have it more readily available, but not many of the southern states do.

Funny thing is, most all the states where corn is grown offer non-ethanol gas. Its about the only gas the farmers will buy. They all know better than put ethanol laced gas in their own equipment. Instead, the ship it all south to states where it is mandated, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Ethanol is the biggest scam ever pulled on the American public in history.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:27 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both are the same price and 91 octane in my area. I am testing them now. Later! Frank
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Tin Star
Burning Brakes

Location: Amelia Island,FL ______ or DFW _________ Sold my 05 MS Coupe ____ bought 08 Vert Blk/JSB, 3LT, F55
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike's Sweet 05
I pulled into a newly renovated Sunoco station and the pump island I pulled into had the normal nozzle and a blue colored nozzle that was for 90 octane non-ethanol gas. I normally use 91 octane with ethanol additives. The non-ethanol was about 40 cents higher than reg unleaded.

Has any one switched to this gas and how did your corvette respond to the different type gas?
Thanks for your help

Mike

In the state of Florida that pump should have been marked "For Non Highway Use Only"
Old 04-27-2011, 09:35 PM
BobBass
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fred H. - WELL SAID!

I am unaware of "blue nozzle" non-ethanol gas pumps here in SE PA. May I assume this is available so people with outboard motors (where it would be more critical) and small power equipment engines don't run the risk of ruining their fuel systems like I did with my snowblower a couple of years ago?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 PM
BSE1956
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Fred H.
I'd gladly pay 40 cents a more per gallon for non-ethanol gas if I could find it. Problem is, there are very few stations left that even sell it, for any price. It's pretty much impossible to get in Texas. Other states may have it more readily available, but not many of the southern states do.

Funny thing is, most all the states where corn is grown offer non-ethanol gas. Its about the only gas the farmers will buy. They all know better than put ethanol laced gas in their own equipment. Instead, the ship it all south to states where it is mandated, and laugh all the way to the bank.

Ethanol has about 65-70% of the potential energy of regular gasoline. Using it cuts fuel economy by at least 3-4 or more percent.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 PM
KKJ
Instructor

I only fill up at one station in my town. I fill up with 92 octane premium with NO ethanol in my vette. I don't run ethanol at all in my DD unless it will be way below zero. Ethanol helps the fuel from freezing. That is the ONLY good thing I can say about ethanol.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:16 PM
phileaglesfan
Race Director

Received 166 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm tired of subsidizing them also.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:34 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

In Missouri, gas stations can sell their premium with or without ethanol, at their discretion. The problem is, they don't have to mark their pumps so the only way you know if you are buying 100% pure gas or the E10 crap is to ask them before you start filling up. We have several stations that sell 91 octane without ethanol and I use their premium for my Mercedes and my 56 and 64 Vettes. We have two stations that sell 94 octane without ethanol and that is what I use in my Z06. I cry like a baby when I go out of town in my Z06 and have to put the E10 crap in it.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:53 AM
Dendk
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Ethanol every now and then in my Avalanche....flex fuel, it runs better 105 octane but you lose 3 mpg and it needs to be about 40 cents less to compare price-wise with regular fuel...I have ran it off and on for about two years. It was $2.29 gal for a year or so but with prices now it has spiked to around $3.38 or so...obviously it is not recommended for our cars.

Last edited by Dendk; 04-28-2011 at 12:56 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:36 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by KKJ
I only fill up at one station in my town. I fill up with 92 octane premium with NO ethanol in my vette. I don't run ethanol at all in my DD unless it will be way below zero. Ethanol helps the fuel from freezing. That is the ONLY good thing I can say about ethanol.
I envy you being able to buy non-ethanol gas, but I'd rather live in a warm climate. I'll drive up your way in the summer and get a tank or two.

BTW, a quick search for the freezing point of gasoline produced results in the -100 degree range, so don't fret about that issue.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:37 AM
General Lee
Pro

That scam was pulled once before in the 80's it was called gasahol although it wasn't mandatory then. certain stations sold it.
it wasn't very popular i remember my dad getting it somtimes at a Phillips 66 station
Old 04-28-2011, 07:44 AM
7795TAs
Instructor

I get non-oxy gas all the time. Its very common around the rivers and lakes here in MN sence boats need it. Ethanol gas loves to absorb water and if it sits too long the gas turns to crap and the boat will run like crap. We also use non-oxy in all our off road toys, snowmobiles, atvs, and should be used in small engines. The 91 non-oxy gas by my house does say off road use only but I some how forget to read that every time

Last edited by 7795TAs; 04-28-2011 at 07:47 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:51 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by General Lee
That scam was pulled once before in the 80's it was called gasahol although it wasn't mandatory then. certain stations sold it.
it wasn't very popular i remember my dad getting it sometimes at a Phillips 66 station
Gasahol is just a different name for an E10 mix that is legally mandated in many midwest states and will be federally mandated soon to meet the federal requirement that 15% of ALL fuel be pure ethanol a few years from now. To get to 15% ethanol we have to have every gas station selling only 10% mix (or 15% that the EPA is studying now) and E85 to a lot of people who will buy that crap for flex-fuel vehicles because they don't know the chemical makeup and haven't bothered to notice the drop in mpg with ethanol.

I would also gladly pay 40 cents more for real gas but I can't find it anywhere any more. It used to be a requirement that stations had a sticker on the pump if it was "gasahol" but since most gas is now E10 because of the tax subsidies, it seems to no longer be required.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:05 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Can't even find non ethanol gas in NY state. Hell, we don't even have a Shell station here. E15 is right around the corner just wait and see then the real engine problems will start, starting with ALL small engines like your weed wacker's and lawn mowers.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:28 AM
Who Needs Turbo
Instructor

I work for a company which makes ethanol (among other things) but I won't even put it in my family SUV. As someone already mentioned, ethanol contains less energy/gallon than gasoline, so I'm willing to pay extra to get better fuel economy and reduce the chances of premature corrosion on parts which don't like alcohol.

I'm lucky that the BP in my small town doesn't add ethanol. The Shell station in the larger city south of me only offers their V Power with ethanol, such a crock!
Old 04-28-2011, 11:51 AM
Dale1990
Le Mans Master

Received 43 Likes on 29 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

There is one station on my commute with no ethanol but they are usually a bit more expensive than the other stations nearby. I've run a few tankfulls of non-ethanol 93 thru the Z and did not notice a significant change in performance or fuel economy.

Granted, this was just measuring over my normal commute (some city, highway and spirited driving) so it was not much of a controlled study.

Get notified of new replies

To Non-Ethanol Gas Anyone using it???

Old 04-28-2011, 12:28 PM
pettvette
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 46 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11 Vet

I go out of my way to put only 100% gas in all my cars.....

I have posted link this before... Its a list of stations that sell pure gas...

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TN
Old 04-28-2011, 12:58 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts

Second biggest scam perhaps. The first was the creation of the "federal" reserve bank. I agree about Texas. I haven't been able to find it even in rural counties.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Raazor
Goon Squad King of Battle

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 921 Likes on 357 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13x3- '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Originally Posted by pettvette
I go out of my way to put only 100% gas in all my cars.....

I have posted link this before... Its a list of stations that sell pure gas...

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TN

Quick Reply: Non-Ethanol Gas Anyone using it???