C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My big mistake

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 12:16 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,924 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Heard fuel "cools" fuel pumps....so when you run on empty / E...you are overheating pump and shortening life
You got that right. Except for long trips, I try to never let it get much below 1/2 tank. 73,000 miles and it has never been to the shop for any tipe of repair.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:22 PM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Man! That seems liek a lot for a fuel pump, even installed! That must be the Corvette tax I keep hearing about.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:58 PM
Larry/car
Race Director

Received 623 Likes on 425 Posts

They can send an order part back to the supplier any time. In all fairness some suppliers do charge a restocking fee, could be 10% plus shipping. When you figure shipping, both ways and the restocking fee, I can understand the reluctance of the Dealer. Some Dealers do not install customer supplied parts, there can be a liability/insurance problem. Everyone jumps on the Dealers because they don't operate as we think. There are legal circumstances, insurance practices, compliance with GM's Dealer requirements, and still keep the customer happy. Oh, you still have to make a profit or go out of business.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM
KneeDragr
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry/car
They can send an order part back to the supplier any time. In all fairness some suppliers do charge a restocking fee, could be 10% plus shipping. When you figure shipping, both ways and the restocking fee, I can understand the reluctance of the Dealer. Some Dealers do not install customer supplied parts, there can be a liability/insurance problem. Everyone jumps on the Dealers because they don't operate as we think. There are legal circumstances, insurance practices, compliance with GM's Dealer requirements, and still keep the customer happy. Oh, you still have to make a profit or go out of business.
IMO thats a fair excuse and if they presented it to the customer that way, explaining their policy on customer supplied parts, it would have been a lot easier to swallow than a lie.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:57 PM
JCTaylor21
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It may not even be the fuel pump itself. I used to have an 05 with the same milage. My dealer traced the problem back to the electrical panel, on top of the passenger fender well. It had a short on the underside of that panel where the relay/fuse for the fuel pump is. Wasn't the fuel pump at all. Not saying that is your problem, but you may want to take it to another shop and have that checked. If they're not taking care of you, take it somewhere else. I agree that the story about not being able to return the part or cancelling the order sounds fishy. You can always return an uninstalled part even if you have to pay a re-stocking fee.

Last edited by JCTaylor21; 08-02-2011 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-02-2011, 03:01 PM
AtHomeSoda
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Well...

You will also find, "IF" you supply the part to the dealer... and it is defective and fails... the labor to replace is NOT covered... So some of what you pay extra for the part covers labor to replace if it is bad...
Old 08-02-2011, 03:44 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin_NYC
Heard fuel "cools" fuel pumps....so when you run on empty / E...you are overheating pump and shortening life
Originally Posted by wayback
You got that right. Except for long trips, I try to never let it get much below 1/2 tank. 73,000 miles and it has never been to the shop for any tipe of repair.
GM has had a problem with in tank pumps for many years and over heating is the one thing that seems to be the common thought on the cause. It makes sense to me but some disagree. I never let it go under 1/4.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 PM
paganharley
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11

I have learned a few things on this deal. 1. Check around at other places first. 2. Do not do things over the phone, go in person. 3. Get everything in writing. 4. Check and make sure they do have the part on hand. 5. Get a date not it will be in this week. 6. Do not assume anything.

This snafu has been partly my fault. I assumed that a getting a fuel pump was no big deal. Also, living in a small town we have one dealer. The largest city is Charlotte which is 75 miles away. But, I should have called other places first and paid the tow anyway. I just sort of feel they were not totally up front with me. When I did start asking questions I could tell it would have been a battle. The tone and way the conversation was heading leads me to believe that. For reasons, I am not up to doing battle right now. So it is a lesson learned.

I just hope this will keep someone else from doing as I have done. I am taking most of the responsibility for this snafu. But, I will never use them again.

Also I let the tank get low one time, searching for non ethanol gas. The car I bought was a used one with just 40k on it. Motorhead-47 has taught me alot about the fuel pump. Thanks to him I know never let it get below a quarter of a tank.
Old 08-03-2011, 03:59 AM
paganharley
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:19 AM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wayback
Old wives tail. Even with a near empty tank, fuel is still being pulled thru the pump and the cooling effect is still taking place. Every car on the road has a fuel guage that goes to "E". It doesn't stop at 1/4 or 1/2 tank.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:11 PM
TTZ06VETTE
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

Have them install your pump...pay for the new one on your credit card...then return it to the parts counter the next day for a credit. They have to take it back if it is unopened and unused. If not dispute the charge.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:45 PM
paganharley
Racer

St. Jude Donor '11

Havent thought about that. Thanks
Old 08-03-2011, 10:54 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Dealers!!!
Old 08-04-2011, 02:05 AM
Cruncher
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Both Chevy dealerships in my area charge a 35 percent "restocking fee"...they have some pretty expensive stock personnel! Special order parts are not returnable, as clearly stated behind the parts counter.

Quick Reply: My big mistake