C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Sharing Toll Road Transponder Mounting Location Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:31 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Just Sharing Toll Road Transponder Mounting Location Idea

I know this is a little thing, but something that caught my eye on a couple of other nice cars this weekend.

I know that some of you are required to put certain stickers on the inside of your front window (i.e. military ID, registration, etc.), but I personally don't like to have "fodder" in my front window (especially if it obstructs my view of my Torch Red Rejex'd hood shining in the summer sun!). So, in the interest of sharing with the group, I thought I'd share my mounting location. It just fits in that little gap between the rear view mirror and the OnStar antenna. You can't really see it at all from the driver's seat or from the outside.

Anyway, just a thought for some of you folks that have to stick one of these unsightly things in your front window!

Old 08-15-2011, 01:42 PM
ohmy
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

good idea, but you'll have a hard time getting the mounting tape or glue off in that spot bc you can't use a razor like you can on glass... but if you never plan on removing it this will work

mine just sits in my HUD tray since I never have the HUD on...
Old 08-15-2011, 01:50 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DigitalWidgets
I know this is a little thing, but something that caught my eye on a couple of other nice cars this weekend.

I know that some of you are required to put certain stickers on the inside of your front window (i.e. military ID, registration, etc.), but I personally don't like to have "fodder" in my front window (especially if it obstructs my view of my Torch Red Rejex'd hood shining in the summer sun!). So, in the interest of sharing with the group, I thought I'd share my mounting location. It just fits in that little gap between the rear view mirror and the OnStar antenna. You can't really see it at all from the driver's seat or from the outside.

Anyway, just a thought for some of you folks that have to stick one of these unsightly things in your front window!

I put my EZ Pass in the exact same spot.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Scotten
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Real men drive through the booths at 115 and don't worry about electronic tracking devices!!

Serious, though, good thread. I've not mounted my device yet because I'm lazy. Any more ideas -- keep 'em coming!
Old 08-15-2011, 02:25 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,046 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Although the unit may be the same as the EZ Pass unit my EZ Pass instructions said not to mount the unit there or even behind the upper tinted area on a windshield since the coating on the glass could interfere with the signal. I mounted my EZ Pass a couple inches lower so it wasn't in the blackened area but I still can't see it from the driver's seat.

Bill
Old 08-15-2011, 02:34 PM
gp56
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Although the unit may be the same as the EZ Pass unit my EZ Pass instructions said not to mount the unit there or even behind the upper tinted area on a windshield since the coating on the glass could interfere with the signal. I mounted my EZ Pass a couple inches lower so it wasn't in the blackened area but I still can't see it from the driver's seat.

Bill
I have had no signal issues with my EZ Pass and it is mounted just like the OP's. From the outside your barely see one corner of it. You can try it and see if you have issues, if gate does not go up you can always pull it off while in the toll booth. I have read on another thread where some keep it in the center console and it still works. Wasn't willing to try that, however, plus space in the center console is limited.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM
TKgs2010
Le Mans Master

Received 406 Likes on 273 Posts

I thought of mounting my EZPass there but didn't because of the adhesive on the velcro. I keep it in the console and just hold it up when I go through the booth, no issues here.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:49 PM
SnakeBT6
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

I thought of mounting mine to the left of the front emblem under the fibreglass.

I havent obviously as Id worry that it wouldnt register, but it would be beat to just hide it up in the front some place.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Bill
My transponder did come with some instructions, that indicated lower right or left of the front window in a graphic. But then if you read the text, it did indicate that you could put it up in the top of the window (any place that didn't obstruct the driver's vision).

In my previous car, I've had the adhesive give way and the thing would end up sliding all around the front dash while turning.....I'd stick it back on....and it would fall off again in a few days....drove me nuts! When it came time to install in the Vette, I was not going to let that happen again. So far, this mounting location has been ideal. Always beeps when passing through a toll area (and I typically go through at least 8-10 per week).

Anyway, I just thought I'd share because I saw a nice Lambo with one of those stuck in the traditional location....might as well been bird droppings on the front window IMHO.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:00 PM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 298 Posts

I painted mine black - which makes a huge difference.
At the moment, mine is mounted to the right of the XM antenna box.
I've thought about mounting it where you have it, but I haven't tried it yet.
It's good to know it will work there.
Old 08-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Trublu01
Advanced

Suctioned in front of the rearview mirror. I don't see it when driving!
Old 08-15-2011, 03:49 PM
RS2ENJOY
Advanced

St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'13

I have mine mounted same as the OP. Not painted like 2fast, but covered with black material which has adhesive on other side. One side is covered 100% and only the lower edge covered where facing toward the windshield. You don't see the transponder from the inside or out. Haven't had a problem with it at NJ or NY tolls.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:10 PM
GRG
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Toll sensor

Painted mine black and used velcro to put in on the left side of the rearview mirror mount, hardly shows at all.
I guess it works OK, no problems, but even if they take a picture of my rear plate it shows I have a toll tag for that car.

Last edited by GRG; 08-15-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:30 PM
DigitalWidgets
Melting Slicks

Painting it black is a nice idea....I didn't think of that....would definitely make it more stealth.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:24 PM
Quick Silver Z
Team Owner

Received 1,575 Likes on 1,051 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (appearance mods)
C6 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C6 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by TKgs2010
I thought of mounting my EZPass there but didn't because of the adhesive on the velcro. I keep it in the console and just hold it up when I go through the booth, no issues here.
Me too, or I use one of these for longer distance...

Old 08-15-2011, 06:26 PM
VET4LES
Team Owner

Received 61 Likes on 50 Posts

Painting it black is a nice idea....I didn't think of that....would definitely make it more stealth.
I use the same toll roads as you do and I just lay it on the dash while on the toll road and put it in the center console went not. I don't drive them very often.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:54 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 97 Posts

I put mine under the the hood liner. With the hood in the closed position it is right above the battery. It is out of sight and stays dry. It has always worked when passing through toll booths in the state of Illinois.

Get notified of new replies

To Just Sharing Toll Road Transponder Mounting Location Idea

Old 08-15-2011, 07:16 PM
cmonkey713
Race Director

Received 1,285 Likes on 933 Posts

That is exactly where I put mine.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:40 PM
smurfkiller
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

holy crap that is huge. texas just has a 2''x2'' sticker with atiny chip in it. i painted the back of mine black and stuck it next to mirror mount. with the dark tint across the top of windsheild it disappears.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 PM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,090 Likes on 1,390 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by got2bblu
I put mine under the the hood liner. With the hood in the closed position it is right above the battery. It is out of sight and stays dry. It has always worked when passing through toll booths in the state of Illinois.

Glad to see yours is working well. I thought about that location but was worried the underhood heat would kill it.

Since I seldom drive the tollroads now, mine sits in the console with the writing down, like it would be on the windshield. If I remember to do so, I take it out for the toolbooths. If not, it seems to work anyway.

Quick Reply: Just Sharing Toll Road Transponder Mounting Location Idea