C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parade Car

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 11:26 AM
blueyeszr1
Account suspended by request 6 Oct 2017

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Parade Car

I keep getting approched by our local Corvette Club to use my vert for High School homecomings and other parades. I always pass due to the fact of people walking over my seats and maybe a fat azz or 2 setting on the cover, and it is a stick. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?
Thanks
Old 09-05-2011, 11:32 AM
rgauchey
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't do it........to kids it's just a "household appliance" and that's how they will treat it.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:35 AM
operationblackwater
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would jsut tell 'em to go to Hertz and rent one for the day!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM
LOUSVETTE
NCM Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't they have a club member who will do it?
Old 09-05-2011, 11:40 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Received 240 Likes on 135 Posts
Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

I've used both coupes and a vert for carrying a queen in various parades. As far as the seats, I've asked the queen to remove her heels so she doesn't hurt the leather until she is seated on the hoop or toneau. I've also just used a folded blanket for the queen to step on in the seat. (this is easiest) I've never had a problem.
If there is a sign to use on the door, I've used ribbon to tie the sign around the door and mirror, or my favorite- I've used a roll of thin colored felt (colored to look good with the car) wrapped around my door and taped the sign to the felt. This works well when the wind is not too high.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:43 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by arcticblast
I've used both coupes and a vert for carrying a queen in various parades. As far as the seats, I've asked the queen to remove her heels so she doesn't hurt the leather until she is seated on the hoop or toneau. I've also just used a folded blanket for the queen to step on in the seat. (this is easiest) I've never had a problem.
If there is a sign to use on the door, I've used ribbon to tie the sign around the door and mirror, or my favorite- I've used a roll of thin colored felt (colored to look good with the car) wrapped around my door and taped the sign to the felt. This works well when the wind is not too high.
Also, don't forget to have a soft blanket for the queen to sit on, so any sequine on her dress doesn't scratch the paint.
The young ladies that I've helped are always appreciative and use care not to scratch the Vette.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM
Torchsport
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 397 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

This subject has been here before. You wont find much positive encouragement.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by operationblackwater
I would jsut tell 'em to go to Hertz and rent one for the day!!!

r u kidding me. are they gonna be responsible if anything gets damaged. i think i would almost be offended if i was asked to do such a thing....
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM
KWC6
Drifting

Received 30 Likes on 24 Posts

Do it, you will enjoy it and stop worrying so much about a scratch. I doubt it will happen. I did it 2 times when I had my C5 vert.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:49 AM
NYC6
Team Owner

Received 209 Likes on 157 Posts

A simple "no thanks, but thanks for asking"
Old 09-05-2011, 11:52 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,924 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I did it in 78 for the Texas Tech Homecoming parade in my 69 coupe. 4 speed muncie, had to ride the clutch the whole 2 hrs. Leg was sore and throwout bearing was fried. Other than that it was a great time.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,953 Likes on 4,825 Posts

Why would you even consider it, tell them to use their own car.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:58 AM
arcticblast
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VI Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by wayback
I did it in 78 for the Texas Tech Homecoming parade in my 69 coupe. 4 speed muncie, had to ride the clutch the whole 2 hrs. Leg was sore and throwout bearing was fried. Other than that it was a great time.
This is true...autos are better for parades. I think I'd pass now that I have a MN6 GS.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:59 AM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by blueyeszr1
I keep getting approched by our local Corvette Club to use my vert for High School homecomings and other parades. I always pass due to the fact of people walking over my seats and maybe a fat azz or 2 setting on the cover, and it is a stick. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?
Thanks
I belong to two clubs and both are active in parades. I don't understand why a club would be asking someone outside of their club to provide a Corvette for a parade. Between the two clubs we have around seventy five, or more, convertibles. I don't use my C6 Z06 or my 64 coupe for parades that need to carry a cutie, for obvious reasons. I use my 56 roadster for that. I've never had a problem because I take the precaution to use a heavy blanket on the seat, have them remove high heels and use a throw on the deck lid.

I did have my Z06 in a parade this past Saturday, but with out carrying a cutie. Our club had 19 cars in the parade and we were throwing out tons of candy to the kids. The kids enjoyed the parade, and we enjoyed seeing them having fun. A bunch of kids said "I like your car" as I drove by them on the parade route. I had zero problems with the manual transmission in my Z06(my 56 requires three times the force to depress, and hold, the clutch). Plenty of opportunities to slip the transmission into neutral and give the left leg a rest.

Have you thought about joining the club and then using your car in the parades?

One parade we were in, I saw something I hadn't seen before. The high school queen and her court were discussing which cars they wanted to ride in. They were very concerned about the car's color clashing with their dress. It was amusing to see them go though that exercise.

Last edited by JoesC5; 09-05-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:04 PM
blueyeszr1
Account suspended by request 6 Oct 2017

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I do belong to the Corvette Club, but I think I will pass on hauling the girls. Someone will do it. Thanks for the input.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:12 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 437 Likes on 374 Posts

Had our mayor in mine for the 4th of July parade, no problems at all.

There is a limit to how many people you can fit though...
Old 09-05-2011, 12:28 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,046 Likes on 5,390 Posts

Damage to the car can be prevented with some fore thought. Verts are best for parades but coupes with removable tops work as well. To prevent damage to the seat get a piece of 2x12 that fits into the seat so they can step on it. Wrap the 2x12 in something like a large bath towel. Next get a non slip throw rug for them to sit on. The clothes they wear will be very slippery and your car's finish will be very slick as well. The non slip throw rug will no slip on the finish and will protect it from any sequins, etc on the clothing. It will also limit the chance the person will slide off the car (this is your biggest risk since the person could be seriously injured).

As they get in the car have them remove their shoes and step on the board which gives them a firm object to step on so they are less likely to fall. Then have them sit on the throw rug. If you are driving a coupe there are a couple of other things to think about. In a coupe they will have to boost themselves up onto the halo bar. In most cases their feet will be dangling above the seat. You may want to instruct them to wedge their feet behind the seat back so they don't topple backwards off the car and if they have a wide spreading gown on you may need to make sure they wrap the side toward you under them so it doesn't block your vision while driving.

If you have a manual transmission car the best thing to do is to refuse. Over the years I have seen a number of clutches destroyed while driving in parades especially ones that go up hill. Due to the slow pace you will be constantly slipping the clutch for the duration of the parade.

In any parade make sure the cars go before the animals especially the horses.

Bill

Get notified of new replies

To Parade Car

Old 09-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Boba Fett
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 485 Likes on 347 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
Had our mayor in mine for the 4th of July parade, no problems at all.

There is a limit to how many people you can fit though...
pict # 1 = gay
Old 09-05-2011, 01:31 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 437 Likes on 374 Posts

????
Old 09-05-2011, 01:37 PM
BluegrassMotorsport
Melting Slicks

Received 884 Likes on 478 Posts

I have let people use mine for parades, but I am always the one that drives it. That way, it is driven the way I want it to be, and treated the way I want it to be.

Quick Reply: Parade Car