C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

8 days and scratched.

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2011, 04:23 AM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that you had this bad experience. It's disheartening when something like this happens. Truth is most people think of cars as appliances, so they don't even notice when they smack or scratch yours. I've had new cars get four inch door creases by inconsiderate parkers.
My condolences...

GP
Old 10-17-2011, 09:22 AM
schmegeggie
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know just how you feel. My Hummer H3 was keyed yesterday while the wife and I were in the grocery store for only 15 minutes!
I just can't see what brings a coward to do such a thing. Let me watch you do it! Now we're talking!
Old 10-17-2011, 09:28 AM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by schmegeggie
I know just how you feel. My Hummer H3 was keyed yesterday while the wife and I were in the grocery store for only 15 minutes!
I just can't see what brings a coward to do such a thing. Let me watch you do it! Now we're talking!
Envy, jealousy and low life's.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:43 AM
GotVett?
Race Director

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

After 4+ years of having mine without any blemishes, got a few scrapes on my front bumper a while back. One is through the clear coat it appears. Hadn't got it fixed yet so screw it. But I'll get it fixed eventully.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:16 PM
kh400
Pro

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by hig4s
I've had my new C6 eight days and noticed today getting in at the store (parked out away from others) a 9in scratch on the drivers side of the targa top.. Not deep or gouged like it was on purpose, but still there.. looks like maybe someone walking by just rubbed the top with there hand and had a ring on.

I had the top off Friday and yesterday and found it harder to do alone then I expected so inspected it carefully both times to make sure I hadn't scratched it, and it was not there then.

Not sure what to do, washing and polishing made it a little less noticeable but it's still fairly obvious.
Get some polishing compound at Walmart and use it with a soft cloth and rub with the scratch , like wolfdog said, and I'll bet most of it will comeout. Then use some of your preferred wax. [Not gonna get into brands!!!!!!!] Good luck. Some people, I feel, just can't handle other people's joy and try to destroy it. Sick.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:26 PM
BLK281
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you can catch it with your fingernail, its probably going to be hard to get out without some professional work.

If its not TOO deep..it can be lightly sanded with 2500-4000 grit paper, and buffed out..you probably won't be able to even tell it was there.
Old 10-17-2011, 02:43 PM
Garibaldi
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with all the suggestions above. One thing I would add: if you're concerned about using too harsh a polishing compound for the scratch, I've had good luck with toothpaste. It is a very mild abrasive and your Vette will have fewer cavities.

Again, sorry for your mishap,

GP
Old 10-17-2011, 03:08 PM
hig4s
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Garret
You say like someone did it when in fact this could have been a rock that did it and maybe even days before you even noticed it. Maybe it was even there when you bought the car and you never noticed it. Let's not turn this into a "someone keyed my car" thread when it seems you are even unsure how it happened.

I do feel your pain, I got my first rock chip yesterday and it sucks, but really, it's just a car.
A rock? Perhaps, but seeing it is on the roof right above my head, I would have thought I would have heard that..

And as far as being there before I bought it,, I had the top off Saturday, and inspected it very carefully after taking it off and putting it back on, so I know it was not there Saturday at lunch time.
Old 10-17-2011, 03:19 PM
door2416
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Black is a real tough color to keep from scratching. Scatches show up on black when they wouldn't show up on other colors. My last vette was black and I could scatch it from just putting the car cover on and off. (Blade silver now)
Old 10-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Gene Culley
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 160 Likes on 139 Posts

If it isn't too deep you can get the Porter Cable buffer and some Adam's swirl and haze remover and take it right out. You might as well buy it now and get familiar with how to use it.

Shop Our Factory GM Parts Website

Old 10-20-2011, 12:41 AM
Buck-I
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same dang thing happened to me. I noticed the scratch right before I went to take the top off for the first time. Owned the car for like 2 weeks.

Like the OP said, it was probably from someone's ring running their hand over the top. Probably, muttering something about that "dent in the roof" while they did it. Its shallow, and will come right out. But it still pisses me off.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:21 AM
Don-Vette
Race Director

Received 451 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
If it's not too deep I have had good luck with this.

Attachment 47682365

I've had great success with this product as well.

Quick Reply: 8 days and scratched.