C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternative tire options

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 10:06 PM
v1 rot8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Nitto Invo 275 / 35ZR-18
2 ea
$ 462
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...5&rd=18&cs=275

Nitto Invo 325 / 30ZR-19
2 ea
$ 710
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...0&rd=19&cs=325

Total Price to the door: $ 1,172
how are the nitto invo's in cold weather. I have less then 1000 miles on my GS and already had the rear end kick out 30+ degrees from getting on it in 2nd gear the other night
Old 11-02-2011, 01:42 PM
JoesC5
Team Owner

Received 1,701 Likes on 1,215 Posts

Originally Posted by phileaglesfan
The 2009 will have more options.

Don't even consider the GS if you want to drive it in snow. 6k on the OEM set tells me that the alignment is probably bad and/or he tracked the car. They usually last in the low teen range although I've heard as high as 20k or so.

Nittos are nice but as mentioned you have to decide if you want a non run flat or not when you WILL stop if you have a tire problem. It doesn't care if you are in a bad neighborhood, bridge, tunnel, construction zone, etc.
A friend with a Z06 went through rear tires every 6,000-7,000 miles and the fronts lasted about 8,000-9,000. He never tracked the car, but he was very aggressive in his everyday driving. He didn't burn rubber every time he accelerated, but he was usually at least 50-60% into the throttle, and he also waited until the last minute to brake and then he braked hard.

He didn't abuse his car but his driving style was very hard on the tires and brakes.

I knocked the toe out on the front of my Z06 and had worn the front tire's inside edge down before I realized it. I had 12,500 miles on the car and the rears still had 40-50% tread left and the fronts a little more(except for the worn inner edges).

Normally, I drive my Z06 very easy, so I don't see the high rate of tire wear. I don't need to have the car slam me back into the seat everytime I take off from a light, as I know it can. Some people are just the opposite. I put a set of Bridgestone RE050A runflats on the Z06 at 12,500 miles and now have a little over 18,000 miles and have worn them less then 2/32"(out of 10/32" new). The OE Goodyears start out at 8/32", so I'm already 5500 miles ahead and now at the same tread depth as the OE Goodyears. That 5500 miles includes running the high banked curves at Talladega at 145 MPH and 160+ down the back stretch and also a week in the Smokeys driving the Tail of the Dragon(very aggressively) plus plenty of other curvey, twistly roads around there.

An option, if the OP wants to run his GS in the winter, in the snow, is to get a second set of wheels in the base C6 sizes and then he can run the A/S tires. If he dosen't care what his car looks like when it is covered with dirty snow, etc, he shouldn't mind the skinny wheel/tires during that period. In the spring, clean the car up and put the big wheel/tires back on for Friday night cruising. I think there may be a problem with caliper clearance(GS brakes) with the base C6 wheels, on the front, but a spacer might cure that problem. I doubt if he will be running his car hard during the snowy season.
Old 11-02-2011, 03:28 PM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by greengo
This is a NO BRAINER from someone that has replaced his Goodyears on his C6

GO WITH FIRESTONE FIREHAWK RFT (runflattires)

They are fantastic riding, quieter, about half the price of the badyears, and people have gotten up to 40,000 miles out of a set!

I am on my 2nd set and like them a lot.

Quick Reply: Alternative tire options