C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Calif ARB wants to borrow my car to check emissions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 11:20 PM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey, it might be on of those law inforcement stings. Do you have any parking tickets?
Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Russell ZR1
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deklund
I have only put on an airbox and a 1/4 lockout plug, so it passed without any problems.
Did you put the CARB EO # sticker on the air box that came with it? It will pass smog running test with it on, but it won't pass the visual inspection without the sticker...

All kidding aside I agree with how well Californias air is, lived here my whole life and have seen it changed too. But as with many Ca agencies they make some very unnecessary demands...
Old 11-05-2011, 11:56 PM
Luster
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Absolutely not.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:24 AM
Z06LUST
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by kybilt
QFT...remember the F50 Ferrari wrecked by joyriding FBI agents? a claim brought by the owners was denied by a federal judge because:
the FBI can’t be held responsible for the damages due to federal laws that grant immunity to property being held by law enforcement agents.
I would guess this same principle would hold true if CARB damaged or destroyed your car!
I wouldn't loan my car BUT your guess is incorrect. Totally different legal concepts....as to the FBI situtation (sucks and the agency should have paid out of principal) and the CARB situtation.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:06 AM
See5see6
Drifting

Received 206 Likes on 131 Posts

It is indeed a legit request. I turned them down a few years ago when they wanted my daily driver. HA. I never let them have that vehicle. As for letting them have my Corvette? Double HA! Not if they only wanted it for one day and offered me $1500.00.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 AM
Flat Broke
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I think you should do it. Then we wouldn't have to guess what they wanted it for.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:56 AM
DSOMC6
Race Director

Received 68 Likes on 57 Posts

CARB= Corruption:
http://killcarb.com/
Old 11-06-2011, 01:25 AM
Karlmiami
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Borrow your vette

Decline!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 AM
jon6.0
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

It's the government. We are already in so much debt, that if they need a Corvette for testing, they can buy one. Tell them to smurf off. Politely of course, lol.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:59 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Russell ZR1
nope, and if I did, I would decline, that's me, not you.
All they do is make a lot of people and companies miserable with a bunch of bureaucracy and red tape, no help from me...
Old 11-06-2011, 02:02 AM
Gering
Tolero Apto Victum
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Foxer55
I know a guy with a farm who refused to let the government rent a few square feet to put up some kind of monitoring station. The reason: once the governmnet had access to his property the headaches would never end. They will want this, and then that, and then something else, until they would effectively be running his life. Its about beauracracy, once a process gets started it will grow to the amount of money available to it - which in the government's case is endless. This is the reason I would decline any governmnet approach to help me or for me to provide help to them. It never ends. That's just the way it is.

In your case, I wonder how well they would treat the car and how liable would they be for any damage even if it didn't show up for a while? And, again in your case, I wonder how long it would be before you saw a official governmnet study in the news that concluded (based on a study your car was one used for) that high performance sports cars were a serious threat to the environment and should not be produced or sold?

I have come to have a real distrust for government.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:22 AM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

Calif ARB are about the dumbest idiots in Govt, well aside from our dmv folks. Anyway, they come out with the dumbest rules/regs with no justification. Here is the example: Even though our vettes are ULEV, ultra low emissions vehicles and pass all 50 states emissions requirements (inc california's), they require the cars to have a sticker just for california that it meets ca emissions requirements. All vettes have the same emissions equip, the difference is the sticker. You cannot get an answer from them on why they continue to do this and if you ask the dmv about it, they just refer you back to CARB. I'm not sure they know why anymore.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:33 AM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,916 Likes on 1,924 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Tell em to F off. They ain't abusing my car!!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:28 AM
Kenny94945
Le Mans Master

Received 452 Likes on 387 Posts

CARB would know about jacking pucks and window indexing......a BIG he*l no!

Now a lifetime registration fee exemption or smog test exemption and 1500 instead instead of 150 ....that I could consider. Better yet...Diplomatic Plates!
Old 11-06-2011, 10:31 AM
Vetteinplano
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In 6-8 years, when California becomes a Latin American State, you won't have to worry about CARB.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:46 AM
Rogers 07
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by cclive
The government knows better than you do...especially in California. This is why California is a paradise with hardly any problems at all. You elected smart people to take care of you...trust them, they know what is best for you. Hand over the fob.

Sweet !!!
Old 11-06-2011, 01:00 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 437 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by bearphoto
Calif ARB are about the dumbest idiots in Govt, well aside from our dmv folks. Anyway, they come out with the dumbest rules/regs with no justification. Here is the example: Even though our vettes are ULEV, ultra low emissions vehicles and pass all 50 states emissions requirements (inc california's), they require the cars to have a sticker just for california that it meets ca emissions requirements. All vettes have the same emissions equip, the difference is the sticker. You cannot get an answer from them on why they continue to do this and if you ask the dmv about it, they just refer you back to CARB. I'm not sure they know why anymore.
While I agree 100%, I must relate my most recent experience with the Ca DMV...amazing. I went in to renew my ID card last week when I was there visiting. It had always had the wrong zip code and the wrong expiration on it( go figure). It took me 15 minutes with an appointment, they apologized and DID NOT CHARGE ME for the renewal and I got it in the mail a week later while I was STILL VISITING. Its crazy, like a business trying to keep customers happy or something...wild.

Get notified of new replies

To Calif ARB wants to borrow my car to check emissions?

Old 11-06-2011, 01:36 PM
RUBYREDVET
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by deklund
I got a very strange request in the mail today. The California Air Resources Board said they are looking for cars like mine for a study. They will give me a loaner, a full tank of gas and a 150. to borrow it for a week. Oh, and they promise that I am not in trouble if I have modified it...

Has anyone else had a an offer like this?

D.
I'll offer the same thing but will give you $200.00.
Miller Motor Sports Park, here I come.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:40 PM
djdinoe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no brainer, nope. we don't even trust the dealership with our cars.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:14 PM
RnLi
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To the Original Poster......

You are a grown mature adult (assumption). You should be able to make a decision about this, without outside reference.

As a side note:.......I HAVE participated in both a manufacturer's and a state request for my vehicle(s) to participate in consumer emission surveillance. I participated in the manufacturers test and was present during the test as a request from me as a former employee. The state test I was not.

Can't tell you if the tests in California are the same as I experienced but the ACTUALLY TEST only takes about 10 minutes with the possible requirement of 2 different tests.......
A cold start, which requires the vehicle to sit in the test cell over night, started and checked for emission requirements, for a designated period of time and speed. The second is about a 10 minute run, with engine at operating temperature, on a dyno at about 30 mph......which is essentially the same test as required by state law for emissions testing annually (you are present).

The extended time requested is to assemble all the necessary vehicles. USUALLY, once all the required vehicles are gathered the testing starts....thus the possibility of the week need.

In each my vehicle was treated well....with no complaints( of course, you are in California, which does involve adding an additional factor to the equation).

Good luck with whatever your decision.

Quick Reply: Calif ARB wants to borrow my car to check emissions?