C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why doesn't the C6 sound like a Mustang.

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2011, 10:46 PM
Timothy Barth
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtcpa
I will give you one thing....
The Mustang GT sounds incredible from the factory.

But, who wants a Mustang???
I do.I would like to have a new Boss 302. For $41,000 they are a good buy in my opinion.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:18 PM
Honch
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by carl3989
The other day a Mustang pulled up next to me and I was audibly enthralled with its exhaust. It wasn't the volume. but rather a richness in it's sound that exuded power. The thought came to me, that here I was sitting in a Vette with more HP than the car next to me, yet one couldn't tell that from the sound of the C6's exhaust. Mind you I have the Z06 exhaust with the bi-mode open most of the time. And yes I know the NPP is a little louder, but that reinforces my point which is it is not the level of sound volume, but rather the deeper rumble of the Stang which gives a more guttural resonance. This strikes the ears as being the biggest, most powerful engine. Perhaps you could explain it to me. Why can't the Vette sound as powerful as the Mustang? Is it due to our more restrictive cats?
The Z06 exhaust on a stock LS2/LS3 even with the butterflys open has the tone of a truck muffler on a school bus. While it wont give you the same tone as a mustang the Z06 Muffler Mod is a night and day improvement.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:19 PM
4GS7
Melting Slicks

Received 118 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver99v6
A lot of it has to do with firing order.
Originally Posted by Turbo6TA
Again .. It all has to do with the firing order ... and the LSx don't have the same firing order that the Mustang or previous small and big block Chevys have.

So ... you can't fix it, and the LSx Corvette will never sound like that Mustang, no matter what pipes you put on it.

As they say ... that's just the way it is
Originally Posted by Mr. Hyde
I didn't read the entire thread so please forgive if someone already posted this:
In ADDITION to the firing order...I read that it is the length of the exhaust port. The distance from the exhaust valve to the end of the head is MOST of what makes that signature Mustang sound.
While I'm certainly no Mustang fan, I can agree that the Engineers at Ford got the sound right on the Mustang, and most honest people here will admit it too.
Originally Posted by TopCat
It's the firing order. The choice of firing order causes the propagating sound waves of one cylinder to be partially nullified by the reflected sound waves of another cylinder. The firing order, I believe, was changed for the LS-1, but it could have been an earlier engine. I don't recall, but it's documented and can be Googled. The older 350's and 327's from the late 60's and 70's have the same firing order as the current Mustangs, I believe.

Why did the General change the firing order? I can only guess and it probably has to do with an increase in performance, even if only incremental. A little here, a little there, and you end up with some notable horsepower

Cheers!
Originally Posted by racerx3317
I have owned a couple of 5 liter Mustangs and from what I understand, it's due to the firing order of the Ford engines. They are different than GM engines.
I don't know where this firing order rumor started, but it's completely untrue. The firing order is NUMERICALLY different, but only because GM and Ford number their cylinders differently. The physical cylinders fire in the exact same sequence.

GM cylinder numbering and firing order

1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3

Ford cylinder numbering and firing order (starting cylinder 5, which is GM's 1)

5-4-8-1-3-7-2-6
(1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8)

LSxs and Ford Modular V8s fire in the exact same pattern.

Last edited by 4GS7; 11-08-2011 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:03 AM
Jaxon
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Like the above poster pointed out it has nothing to do with the firing order. It does have to do with the location of the mufflers proximity to the heads, as well as the size and shape of the pipes. The farther away the mufflers are from the head, the worse (less throaty) sound is produced. The layout of the Vette gives the car superior handling and weight distibution. It also leaves nowhere to put the mufflers except the very end of the car. Although I agree, the Mustang sounds better because the layout of the car allows for that. But it doesn't allow for good traction or weight distribution either. Given the two choices, the Vette is a better performer. The Mustang just sounds better. If you want a loud Vette, just install dump outs. Then you'll rattle all the teeth out of your mouth.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:51 AM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Silver99v6
A lot of it has to do with firing order.
Old 11-09-2011, 01:49 AM
debo
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wolfdogs
you wanna sound fast?...........................

or be fast?
Yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 AM
RockIT9
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

B&B plus long tube headers, problem solved.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:55 AM
mfile2000
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Mustang has a great exhaust note...period. And the vast majority of us wish our vettes sounded that good. Most of us change the exhaust because we don't like the way our stock vettes sound. Just look at CORSA. They offer three different sounds for a reason and none of it has to do with performance. I had a 1981 Z28 and it had an awesome low tone rumble to it. The Mustang has the best stock exhaust out there. But I love my vette.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:56 AM
mfile2000
Pro

Originally Posted by QUAKEJAKE
This but further
Its the point at which the plug fires with respect to the position of the opening of the exhaust valve inherent to the LS motors
You learn something new every day.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:57 AM
mfile2000
Pro

Originally Posted by Jaxon
Like the above poster pointed out it has nothing to do with the firing order. It does have to do with the location of the mufflers proximity to the heads, as well as the size and shape of the pipes. The farther away the mufflers are from the head, the worse (less throaty) sound is produced. The layout of the Vette gives the car superior handling and weight distibution. It also leaves nowhere to put the mufflers except the very end of the car. Although I agree, the Mustang sounds better because the layout of the car allows for that. But it doesn't allow for good traction or weight distribution either. Given the two choices, the Vette is a better performer. The Mustang just sounds better. If you want a loud Vette, just install dump outs. Then you'll rattle all the teeth out of your mouth.
And then you learn that what you just learned was crap!
Old 11-09-2011, 08:08 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

[QUOTE=pinballfanatic;1579163325]07 vert manual here with B&B bullets...... Don't understand what you are talking about!![/QUOT

you mean you can't HEAR what hes saying LOL had those on a o8 and had to take them off
Old 11-09-2011, 08:09 AM
lastcowboy
Melting Slicks

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by chris12.8
How exactly is a rainbow made? How exactly does a sun set? How exactly does a posi-trac rear-end on a Plymouth work? It just does.
and why doe's the sun keep on shinning ? wasn't that a song ? lol
Old 11-09-2011, 08:27 AM
wazslow
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jaxon
All the newer Mustangs have mufflers right at the rear bumper. Next theory....
Old 11-09-2011, 08:33 AM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

The bottom line here is if the CORVETTE sounded right nobody would be spending stupid money on overpriced exhaust systems to make the car sound better!NPP isn't even close to what this car should sound like but GM charges 1200 for the same exhaust as base with a couple of baffles,a wire and a fuse and people eat t up.It does indeed sound like a bad truck muffler.
Old 11-09-2011, 09:47 AM
mfile2000
Pro

Originally Posted by wazslow
all the newer mustangs have mufflers right at the rear bumper. Next theory....
dammit!!!!
Old 11-09-2011, 10:15 AM
car2fast4you
Melting Slicks

Received 560 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by LEAVINU
Why would we be on the same page when I'm talking about performance ("fast") and you're talking about perception ("driving experience")?
I believe the OP's thread is about the sound of the car, not the performance.
And, believe it or not, it's possible to have both great performance & a great sounding exhaust at the same time.
Many of us want both, not just one or the other.
Old 11-09-2011, 11:01 AM
AFVETTE
Team Owner

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

The C6 Bi-Mode exhaust does not sound as good as a Mustang GT.

Tom

Get notified of new replies

To Why doesn't the C6 sound like a Mustang.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 AM
petermj
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Drive the effing car instead of listening to it.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 PM
j_digi454
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by car2fast4you
I believe the OP's thread is about the sound of the car, not the performance.
And, believe it or not, it's possible to have both great performance & a great sounding exhaust at the same time.
Many of us want both, not just one or the other.
The point exactly. I have all the performance I want in my Vette, I just want it to sound like I have it. Loud isn't the same an aggressive low growl.

Originally Posted by petermj
Drive the effing car instead of listening to it.
Wow, very prophetic. That must be the answer to many of your Vette's shortcomings because as good as they are, they do have some.

Last edited by j_digi454; 11-09-2011 at 12:45 PM.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:55 PM
davidtcpa
Go Canes!
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 329 Likes on 241 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21

Originally Posted by mfile2000
The Mustang has a great exhaust note...period. And the vast majority of us wish our vettes sounded that good. Most of us change the exhaust because we don't like the way our stock vettes sound. Just look at CORSA. They offer three different sounds for a reason and none of it has to do with performance. I had a 1981 Z28 and it had an awesome low tone rumble to it. The Mustang has the best stock exhaust out there. But I love my vette.

Quick Reply: Why doesn't the C6 sound like a Mustang.