C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rick Hendrick Atlanta Pricing.........

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 04:44 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by mpuzach
While your candor is appreciated, Rick, it doesn't change my feeling about some of your dealership's pricing practices. I wasn't going to go here but since you brought it up...the $499 doc fee is pure scam, regardless of whether or not, as you state, you "have reduced (your) price by the same amount to compensate for it." It allows the dealership to advertise prices that are $500 lower than what the customer will actually pay. Sure, it's probably mentioned in fine print somewhere but c'mon, Rick, are you really trying to tell us that the dealer isn't trying to slip one past the unsuspecting customer? If what I just said is wrong, then why not just price the car at the actual selling price and skip the doc fee? It all comes out to the same total, right?

I know that you don't set the dealership's pricing and advertising policy, Rick, so my disgust isn't aimed at you personally. What disappoints me, though, is that you choose to defend the practice. Why not just say something like, "Hey, I know it rubs some people the wrong way and I don't like it either. I've tried getting upper management to see the light but they're standing by their guns. Regardless, please give me a chance and I assure you that I can still get you out the door for less money than at anywhere else." If I recall correctly there was a similar discussion here several years back regarding the same policy at M/P; that one didn't end well either.
I completely agree with you. You are exactly right when you say that a "fee" is only used so that a price can be advertised that is not an accurate representation of the actual selling price. If it's a required fee-and not an option, then in my opinion the government needs to step in and dictate that a required fee cannot be separate from the advertised price.

Sadly, businesses seem to be incapable of policing themselves when it comes to deceptive practices. I remember a post a few years ago regarding another dealer that at one time was very well known on the forum in the same part of the country. He did not know about the $500 "fee" until he showed up from out of town thinking he had a price that was $500 less than it really was for just this reason.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:48 PM
basacowan
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12, '14

Just what is a document fee? I have received so many explanations over the years from dealers that I don't think they know what it is. When I bought my Vette I was told the document fee was for arranging financing, registration, etc. I arranged my own financing and registration and refused to pay.

So - what does the document fee cover?
Old 11-13-2011, 04:49 PM
jschindler
Team Owner

Received 341 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick HendrickAtlanta
I don't make the pricing rules here, I just try to work within the guide lines that are set. I have been working this forum for 10 years and know this is not a fight I will win, but again it is the bottom line, the money that comes out of your pocket that matters and I know we are competitive with anyone.
Rick, I can live with the fact that you don't make the rules there, and I accept what you are saying. You are correct that the only thing that matters is the bottom line price. But if the fee is not VERY CLEARLY disclosed and I show up thinking.....wait a minute....

....if the intent is to VERY CLEARLY disclose the fee, then why does the dealer have the extra fee instead of including the $499 in the advertised price? That's the point Rick - we are not stupid, and we don't like being insulted by insinuating it's fully disclosed. If the point is to fully disclose it then the dealer would not be doing this to begin with.

The dealership has the right to do it, and as potential buyers we have the right to tell you what we think of it.
Old 11-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Cyber2010
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be an educated buyer and don't expect the world to serve everything to you on a silver platter. Caveat Emptor.

No amount of regulation, policy or 'transparent business practice' will protect you more than using the head on your shoulders to watch out for our own interests.

This thread is such a microcosm for so many issues in our society today.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:03 PM
Boltfan555
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by Cyber2010
Be an educated buyer and don't expect the world to serve everything to you on a silver platter. Caveat Emptor.

No amount of regulation, policy or 'transparent business practice' will protect you more than using the head on your shoulders to watch out for our own interests.

This thread is such a microcosm for so many issues in our society today.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:07 PM
Rick HendrickAtlanta

Originally Posted by jschindler
Rick, I can live with the fact that you don't make the rules there, and I accept what you are saying. You are correct that the only thing that matters is the bottom line price. But if the fee is not VERY CLEARLY disclosed and I show up thinking.....wait a minute....

....if the intent is to VERY CLEARLY disclose the fee, then why does the dealer have the extra fee instead of including the $499 in the advertised price? That's the point Rick - we are not stupid, and we don't like being insulted by insinuating it's fully disclosed. If the point is to fully disclose it then the dealer would not be doing this to begin with.

The dealership has the right to do it, and as potential buyers we have the right to tell you what we think of it.
No one and I mean no one has ever come to buy a Corvette from me to find ANY hidden fees. I tell everyone I speak with or email about the doc. fee and the fact they will pay their states tax, tag and title fees. We can beat this horse until it is dead a hundred times and the fact still is "what is my bottom line". If I had a thousand dollar doc fee and my bottom line is less than anyone else that is all that matters to most folks. Do I like the doc. fee, No. Do I like the add on stickers, No. Do I like having a job selling the greatest car on earth and to feed myself, Yes.

Here is the bottom line, if you want a great price that is competitive with any dealer in the nation and you want a selection that is second to none and you want world class customer service then give me a call. If not then I totally respect your decision.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:39 PM
CACTI 1
Burning Brakes

Received 458 Likes on 162 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Default Please close this thread.

This thread has ran its course.
(so has the other thread - "disappointed")

Rick has stated the facts concerning
the dealership that he represents.

There is no more value in this thread.
(so has the other thread - "disappointed")

Besides ..... Rick Daniels and his
dealership are a forum sponsor.

end of story ......... thank you.

Last edited by CACTI 1; 11-13-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 05:47 PM
not08crmanymore
Team Owner

Received 141 Likes on 120 Posts

Just what is a document fee? I have received so many explanations over the years from dealers that I don't think they know what it is. When I bought my Vette I was told the document fee was for arranging financing, registration, etc. I arranged my own financing and registration and refused to pay.

So - what does the document fee cover?
It is a fee,NOT A DMV FEE,that the state allows dealerships to charge for doing paperwork basically.NY STATE varies from 0- 250 bucks that I've seen.I tthought this thread was about that guy's complaint about the add ons like nitrogen and that other stuff.Get a little side tracked did it??
Old 11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
wolfdogs
Le Mans Master

Location: Stafford VA, home of our wolf den. No house break ins to date.
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had no doc fee.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:01 PM
AviBen
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Some state laws limit doc fees

Some states limit doc fees, and they are substantially lower than $499. In Illinois, I believe the current maximum doc fee is $156.08:
http://www.cata.info/2011_illinois_d...imum_is_15608/
Old 11-13-2011, 06:06 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

When all is said and done, and the check is exchanged, Rick's pricing IS very good. If I lived down that way, I'd be paying him a visit.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:11 PM
R&L's C6
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,260 Likes on 711 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
Some states limit doc fees, and they are substantially lower than $499. In Illinois, I believe the current maximum doc fee is $156.08:
http://www.cata.info/2011_illinois_d...imum_is_15608/
I just checked my new Vette invoice and mine was $75. I checked my last two other purchases and it was also $75. That must be the limit in MN. I did notice a "optional electronic transfer fee" listed for $25. WTF is that.
Old 11-13-2011, 06:19 PM
ladder13
Melting Slicks

Received 798 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
I did notice a "optional electronic transfer fee" listed for $25. WTF is that.
Beer money
Old 11-13-2011, 06:30 PM
RicemanZ06
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sure doc fee is 499, but compared to what the dealership in Tampa was giving me in trade for my 07 Vert. It was no way near Rick Hendrick was giving me.
Anyway I got my yellow Z on Thursday and very happy.

Quick Reply: Rick Hendrick Atlanta Pricing.........