C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze question.... Dex cool or ????????

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 02:10 PM
07blkvette
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Antifreeze question.... Dex cool or ????????

Im changing my radiator to a Dewitts and was wondering when changing coolant do I just use the Dex Cool. Or should I use something else? Also what about water wetter or any other additives for better cooling?

Last edited by 07blkvette; 02-04-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:20 PM
weathermaker
Safety Car

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

I would stay with the DexCool! Why change?
Old 02-03-2012, 02:23 PM
Polar Jet
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't go wrong with Dexcool. It is what it came with from the factory.

I work for GM so I get paid to say that. But, it is good stuff. Don't forget to mix it 50/50 with water if you go with it.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:37 PM
bearphoto
Safety Car

Received 302 Likes on 200 Posts
SoCal Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12

google dexcool and take a look at all the lawsuites resulting from the use of dexcool. Im not a fan of it. but as i understand it, dexcool does not mix with other coolants and if you add the wrong stuff your cooling system will be destroyed.

My friend had it in her 04 monte carlo. she was taking a trip and asked me to look things over. when i opened her radiator cap, the cooling system looked like frothey mud!

I can only assume someone at some point mixed in the wrong stuff with the dexcool.

gm as paid out big dollars due to dexcool lawsuits. you be the judge!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,513 Likes on 1,969 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

This discussion re frothy Dexcool goes back to the C4 days (meaning, back to the early- to mid-90s). The, or at least one, actual determination has been that when air gets at Dex such as in a low-coolant situation, Dex will froth. Clean it up/clean it out, fill it up and make sure it doesn't go low, and you will be fine. Use different types (not brands) of fluids and expect problems. The reason(s) for the low fluid situations were many and varied but it usually indicated a problem with the system (small hose/gasket leak, air-in leak, plastic reservoir crack, etc.), not the fluid itself.

I don't know about other mfrs., but GM has had issues in the past with fluids as they contact various parts/systems, i.e., rear diff fluid, clutch fluid, etc. This is probably not unique to GM though.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Racer
Team Owner

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
St. Jude Donor '11

No need to reinvent the wheel, Dexcool is what cools my 750 hp rocket.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:33 PM
LS WON
Team Owner

Received 272 Likes on 234 Posts

I use Amsoil anti-freeze.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:18 PM
Tigershark3
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts

I used Dexcool in both my C5 and now the C6Z and never had a problem. I have seen crappy old dexcool on other cars though. Like others have said don't mix dexcool with anything else. Also, it's supposed to be a 5 year coolant but change it every two years to be safe.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 9,042 Likes on 5,386 Posts

Those lawsuits are crap. By the way you can sue over anything but that doesn't mean you have a case or that you even win. I haven't heard of GM paying one cent toward those law suits other than defense costs.

I have been using Dexcool since I got my 97 Corvette back in 97. Over the years since I have had owned 7 cars that had Dexcool. Four of them went the 5 years before changing coolant with no issues. It looked like the day it was first put in the car. One of those four went through a second 5 year change with no issues with the coolant. Again it looked like new when I changed it. My 03 Tahoe is coming up on its second 5 year change in Dec of this year. Probably will change a couple months earlier so I don't have to do it in the cold. Coolant still looks like it did 4+ years ago when I put it in.

It is in millions of cars and not causing problems. You can read the lawsuit info on the web and see the whining type of person who is involved and you can look at actual trouble free results over many years with millions of cars. Do you side with the whiners or the facts?

Bill
The following users liked this post:
rickyb (10-21-2022)
Old 02-03-2012, 05:37 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Dex-Cool mocules are smaller than regular anti-freeze therefore it will leak out. You have to add the little stop leak tablets from Chevrolet to prevent it from leaking out. Regular anti-freeze turns acidity so you have to change every 2 years or it will eat the solider in the rad and heater core.
z51vett

Last edited by z51vett; 02-03-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:06 PM
Like dem Vettes
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Problems occur with Dexcool when air enters the system or when it gets too acidic. If you check the coolant Ph, it can last five years. Once you change to something other than Dexcool, you can go back but you will never get five years.

Last edited by Like dem Vettes; 02-03-2012 at 06:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-03-2012, 11:36 PM
fnsblum
Pro

Originally Posted by z51vett
Dex-Cool mocules are smaller than regular anti-freeze therefore it will leak out. You have to add the little stop leak tablets from Chevrolet to prevent it from leaking out. Regular anti-freeze turns acidity so you have to change every 2 years or it will eat the solider in the rad and heater core.
z51vett
You better get a better chair. Later! Frank
Old 02-04-2012, 12:01 AM
Marc V.
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by z51vett
Dex-Cool mocules are smaller than regular anti-freeze therefore it will leak out. You have to add the little stop leak tablets from Chevrolet to prevent it from leaking out.
HUH?

There is nothing wrong with Dexcool.

Those lawsuits were misleading. If there was such a problem with it, they wouldn't still be using it and offer a 100K powertrain warranty.

The Prestone Dexcool is also good stuff.

You should use distilled water when mixing any coolant, not tap water.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:39 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

The Corvette has a closed cooling system so you can't power flush radiator doesn't have an opening on it like the regular cars. Just let anti-freeze drain from radiator then add new anti-freeze.
On a regular car you can use a hose open up the cap on radiator and do a complete flush until water runs clear.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:55 AM
1-USA
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Use Dex Cool

Originally Posted by 07blkvette
Im changing my radiator to a Dewitts and was wondering when changing coolant do I just use the Dex Cool. Or should I use something else?
I use Dex-Cool in my aircraft also............here is why..

Lower alkalinity
Contains NO silicates, resulting in longer lasting water pump and engine seals; longer shelf life.
It is Nitrite-, borate-, phosphate-, nitrate- and amine-free.
100% biodegradable in its pure unused condition.
Longer lasting (Dex-Cool has been shown to remain above 95% of its original concentration after 150,000 miles in automobiles)

Jim,
Alaska
Old 02-04-2012, 08:21 AM
C7Joy
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 157 Posts

Stick with the orange stuff, IMHO. I flushed and recharged last year.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:36 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

DexCool. Much easier than trying to change and perfectly adaquate.

BTW, why are you changing out the radiator?

Get notified of new replies

To Antifreeze question.... Dex cool or ????????

Old 02-04-2012, 08:39 AM
WHT
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1-USA
I use Dex-Cool in my aircraft also............here is why..

Lower alkalinity
Contains NO silicates, resulting in longer lasting water pump and engine seals; longer shelf life.
It is Nitrite-, borate-, phosphate-, nitrate- and amine-free.
100% biodegradable in its pure unused condition.
Longer lasting (Dex-Cool has been shown to remain above 95% of its original concentration after 150,000 miles in automobiles)

Jim,
Alaska

I replaced 4 year old Dex-Cool in the Corvette this fall. The cooling system is spotless and the coolant looked and tested as new. The tech at the recycling center even asked me why I was recycling new coolant.

The old problems involved iron blocks and leaking (unmaintained) cooling systems. However, someone will still be bringing this up 40 years from now.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

I use this water wetter at the track with a 25% dexcool 75% water mix in the radiator (water cools better than anti-freeze but I want some anti-freeze protection in my car).
AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost (Product Code RDCBCN)

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Old 02-05-2012, 03:01 AM
LS WON
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Subdriver
I use this water wetter at the track with a 25% dexcool 75% water mix in the radiator (water cools better than anti-freeze but I want some anti-freeze protection in my car).
AMSOIL Dominator Coolant Boost (Product Code RDCBCN)

Quick Reply: Antifreeze question.... Dex cool or ????????