C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F55 Magnetic Selective Ride question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 01:10 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmyb
F55 was never correctly marketed or explained by GM/Dealers/Etc, IMO.
Now that many exotic sports cars offer it as an $5K+ option, I think it's legitimized. And we should be thankful we can change settings at any time. On Ferraris, everything is tied to the 'manettino', from magneride suspension calibration, throttle mapping, steering assist to transmission harshness. And that SUCKS.

Can't wait to try it on the GS CE next Thursday (finally!).
Old 03-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Leifmb
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Didn't like the F55

I ordered a C5 with the selective ride suspension. Then it had 3 modes -Tour, Sport and Performance, I think. I thought it was a huge wast of about $2500 (something like that). At the time, my brother was working for GM as an engineer so I asked to be put in touch with one of the systems engineers. I had a problem that I couldn't tell the difference between the modes! When I talked with one of the system designers he told me that the system is speed dependent- the shocks get firmer at higher speeds. I liked having that selector there rather than a blank spot but other than that it was worthless to me. I remember as I was getting ready to sell the car (2 yrs & 11mo old with 17K), the Service Traction Control System warning came across the DIC. Those shocks are (were) about $700 each! I told the buyer to go have it checked out before the warranty expired....just to make sure.
I wonder if the newer systems are any better. From what it looks like here some say so, others not so much.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:04 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leifmb
I ordered a C5 with the selective ride suspension. Then it had 3 modes -Tour, Sport and Performance, I think. I thought it was a huge wast of about $2500 (something like that). At the time, my brother was working for GM as an engineer so I asked to be put in touch with one of the systems engineers. I had a problem that I couldn't tell the difference between the modes! When I talked with one of the system designers he told me that the system is speed dependent- the shocks get firmer at higher speeds. I liked having that selector there rather than a blank spot but other than that it was worthless to me. I remember as I was getting ready to sell the car (2 yrs & 11mo old with 17K), the Service Traction Control System warning came across the DIC. Those shocks are (were) about $700 each! I told the buyer to go have it checked out before the warranty expired....just to make sure.
I wonder if the newer systems are any better. From what it looks like here some say so, others not so much.
What year was the C5? That sounds more like the old F45 suspension... different animal.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:26 PM
Leifmb
Advanced

2000! 1G1YY32G2Y5100714
Old 03-05-2012, 10:40 PM
Cybernetic Medic
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Leifmb
Yeah, that would be the earlier F45 system. The F55 came out in 2003. I never heard anybody rave about the old F45 system.
Old 04-30-2016, 02:50 PM
DRUGschnorr
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default electronic suspension control module... ride control failure

wondering anyone has had the Electronic Suspension Control module fail?

my dealer replaced the cats for a failure and when i went to get the 2011 Z06 the "check Ride height sensor" was on the DTS..

They said it was not their fault... I'm not so sure, they have been straight shooting over the last 3 yrs of service.

they put a new Electronic Suspension Control module in and that did not work..

Ideas?
Old 12-13-2016, 11:40 PM
Army pops
Cruising

Originally Posted by SlickShoes
The product in question that will allow an F55-equipped car to run a non-MSRC shock is a small jumper set from Casper's Electronics. They plug into the chassis-end of the pigtail harness that connects to each shock. They essentially return a dummy signal to the computer, which sees the car as in a perpetually still state, as if the car is sitting still.

And I wanted to bring up a talking point regarding the "impossibility" of retrofitting F55 to a non-equipped car...

Why is it impossible? We have shocks, ride sensors that mount to the a-arm and chassis using a small turnbuckle on a rotating sensor, and wire harnesses leading back to a control box- presumably the BCM (or whathaveyou).

Hardparts notwithstanding, is there more to this than swapping BCM's? Before I'd discovered the Caspers jumpers to facilitate my coilovers, I intended to swap my entire F55 system out with that of a non-equipped car. Assuming both cars were similarly equipped with whatever options/systems the BCM controls, what obstructions are there to simply trading them along with their respective suspensions? I'm still fairly confident there are people out there with base suspension cars that would like the option to retrofit a system from a car converting to a more aggressive suspension like I did.

If it can be done with ECM's (which it can), why not a BCM?

If you do decide to swap out your entire F55 system and do not need the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) module, I'd be interested.
Paul
Old 12-14-2016, 12:15 AM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,063 Likes on 1,507 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by Army pops
If you do decide to swap out your entire F55 system and do not need the Electronic Suspension Control (ESC) module, I'd be interested.
Paul
This thread is over 4 years old. I doubt he'd care.

BTW, welcome to the forum. If you're surfing/searching, always check the date of recent posts. It'll save you waiting for a response.

Quick Reply: F55 Magnetic Selective Ride question?