C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new Vette..can u exoerts tell what body mods have been done? ***PIX included***

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:06 PM
txsugar08
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Add some black to break up some of that yellow. Nice Car.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:23 PM
RabidVette
Instructor

Originally Posted by 06yellowvette
So I dont have the dial in the center console but it does say Z51 in the glove box... Is that a very sought after option? Again thanks for sharing your knowledge.
The Z51 is a great option package to have. Basically, it comes down to transmission / oil coolers, upgraded brakes & rotors, upgraded shocks and swaybars, and shorter gear ratios, which are great if you plan to stay close to stock, but could perhaps be detrimental if you plan to make big power. The added coolers will make a difference if you track the car, but otherwise won't make much of a difference in daily driving, and the brake upgrades probably won't be very noticeable, either. But the shorter gear ratios and upgraded suspension are definitely improvements that you can perceive and enjoy on a daily basis.

And yes, the Z51 option is sought after, just not as much as some owners on this forum would like to believe. Somehow, some individuals seem to think this option package makes their car an entirely different model, a la Z06 or ZR1, and even going so far as to put on Z51 fender badges and have an "official Z51 owners club". So don't buy into all that hype, but do know that you have a very nicely equipped car with some great upgrades already done by the factory.

Last edited by RabidVette; 03-05-2012 at 10:26 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:27 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Congrats, OP! Love the color. Z51 + Michelins + wide booty conversion = someone put some dough into your ride!!! Enjoy it in So Cal
Old 03-06-2012, 03:10 AM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Very nice ride!

I also bought mine from Carmax and I will never deal with them again. The sticker and license plate frame were gone the day after purchase.

Enjoy the car!
Old 03-07-2012, 01:19 AM
06yellowvette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Otherslost
Very nice ride!

I also bought mine from Carmax and I will never deal with them again. The sticker and license plate frame were gone the day after purchase.

Enjoy the car!
Out of curiousity what happend with Carmax? I have bought a few cars from them and have had nothing but good experiences.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:59 AM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 06yellowvette
Out of curiousity what happend with Carmax? I have bought a few cars from them and have had nothing but good experiences.
The buying part was actually pretty good but when I had problems with the car the day after I bought it, dealing with their service dept sucked and they are completely incompetent.

The service charging system message came on and when I called them they said it would be a week before I could bring it in. So when I was allowed to bring it in the problems were the charging system error and the seat heater would not stay on. They had the car for a day and a half and said the charging system error was due to a failing battery which they replaced but that they could not diagnose the problem with the seat and would need to keep the car over the weekend. I told them that I would pick up the car and bring it back the following Monday so they could figure out the seat problem. An hour after driving off, the check charging system warning came back on so I took it to my mechanic on Saturday morning and he called me within the hour and said he knew what the problems were... The charging system error was caused by the incorrect spark plugs in the vehicle, I guess someone thought it would be good to put the pulse technology plugs in the car. My mechanic told me that there was a bulletin put out in 08 that said the charging system warning would be accompanied by an engine error code which was present in my car. He checked the plugs and sure enough, they were the wrong ones and he also found that two of the plug wires were severely damaged. He also said the problem with the seat heater was a faulty switch.

Carmax could not figure out any of this in a day and half when my guy figured it out in just under an hour. When I went back to carmax, they fought me on it until I showed them the bulletin. They then agreed to pay for my mechanic to fix it. it's been a month and I am still waiting for my reimbursement from them.

A few days later I had some seat issues and the lumbar pump would not turn off and the airbagwarning light came on. I took it to Chevy since carmax said it would be another week before I could bring it in. Even after having the printout from Chevy on what needed to be fixed, they fought me again on it and said they had to diagnose the problem and decide if they were going to fix it. I just bought this car from them and they kept telling me how much they stand behind their vehicles. They push you off as long as possible to avoid having to fix anything within the first 30 days and then do it as cheaply as possible. They do not stand behind their vehicles.

I think the only check they do to their cars is a walk around. The only person that tried to help me was the woman who sold me the car. The service manager was a complete d!ck and treated me very poorly and had a bad attitude. If I would have treated a client like that I would have been fired.

Let's not mention that getting a call back was next to impossible. I had to file a complaint with their corporate office before I would get a call back.

This was the first time I bought a used car in 20 years and I am not sure I would ever do it again.

I know a few other people that have had similar experiences to mine at carmax so they lost any referrals or future business from me.

Quick Reply: My new Vette..can u exoerts tell what body mods have been done? ***PIX included***