C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would a foam gun save me some time?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:50 PM
Ed32
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a foam gun save me some time?

I have been using the two bucket system with Zaino but I was wondering if adding a foam gun would save me some time. Between the connecting and disconnecting of the bottle with the attachment and still having to rinse the mitt with clean water is it really worth it or it just make things more "fun"?

I was gonna get this one:

Gilmour 75QGFMR Foamaster

Just 39 bucks, free shipping from Amazon

Last edited by Ed32; 04-08-2012 at 11:07 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 04:54 AM
Licit
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It will help save some swirls. I always rinse the car well and then use the foam gun to coat the car and allow it to soak while I get my wash bucket ready. Go back out rinse and then hand wash. So it will add a little time if you do it the way I do but most "pros" recommend it since you are breaking the surface crap that may have been moved around the surface without foaming first. Also helps out big time with starting wheels and exhaust. Even though I have a dedicated wheel/exhaust wash mit it's nice to not have it super dirty every time. Does the one you're looking at allow you to use it to rinse and foam by just flipping a switch? The one I have does and that way I can keep it connected to the hose for the whole process.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:27 AM
Ed32
Racer

Originally Posted by Licit
It will help save some swirls. I always rinse the car well and then use the foam gun to coat the car and allow it to soak while I get my wash bucket ready. Go back out rinse and then hand wash. So it will add a little time if you do it the way I do but most "pros" recommend it since you are breaking the surface crap that may have been moved around the surface without foaming first. Also helps out big time with starting wheels and exhaust. Even though I have a dedicated wheel/exhaust wash mit it's nice to not have it super dirty every time. Does the one you're looking at allow you to use it to rinse and foam by just flipping a switch? The one I have does and that way I can keep it connected to the hose for the whole process.
Thanks! No, the one that I was looking at has a quick disconnect so the bottle attachment comes out easy and then you only have a little gun after that. But I would like to check yours, which one do you have, the one from Griot's G?
Old 04-09-2012, 11:01 AM
P0234
Pro

I've had two different types of foam guns, the hose mounted Gilmour and a G-foam for the pressure washer. IMO they look really cool but are a complete waste of time and money. If you want the safest way to wash, get a pressure washer with a nice fan shaped end and use that to flush off all dirt before washing. Doing a solid rinse leaves so little dirt in my wash bucket that I can use it on 3-4 cars before the water even starts getting discolored. With the powerwasher you remove nearly all of the abrasive dirt, the only thing left is the road grime film that you have to wash off by hand.
Old 04-09-2012, 11:33 AM
Krock
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had that one, but went with a different route

see post
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...non-setup.html
Old 04-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Wayne O
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm not a 'wash & wax' fanatic but IMO a foam gun isn't necessary to save time. Good Lord, the Corvette is a relatively small car...it doesn't take that long to wash and dry it. You should try washing a Suburban or an F250 crew cab truck.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:12 PM
STONEFLYE
Instructor

I always use a soft bristle brush to wash the cars ...no mitts as they pick up dirt like a sponge and no swirls marks. Rinse...wash...rinse
Old 04-09-2012, 12:20 PM
All2Easy
Racer

I use a little Gilmour setup to pre-soak the car in suds first.

Started this process when we got our Jerez black M3. The paint on that care was especially prone to swirl marks.

Is it helping a great deal? Not really sure, but it is a process that I have gotten use to that does not take any real time.

My neighbors think I am nuts, and that is perfectly fine with me. But, they also think driving their vehicles through scratch factories (car washes) is okay too.

Last edited by All2Easy; 04-09-2012 at 04:23 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:44 PM
ptaylor_9849
Pro

I'm huge on detailing but I gotta tell you. A foam gun isn't going to save you ANY time. The set up and clean up of the foam gun itself negates any time savings. I have a foam gun and don't really use it anymore because of this reason. By the time you setup the gun you could have been washing the car!
Old 04-09-2012, 04:25 PM
All2Easy
Racer

Originally Posted by ptaylor_9849
I'm huge on detailing but I gotta tell you. A foam gun isn't going to save you ANY time. The set up and clean up of the foam gun itself negates any time savings. I have a foam gun and don't really use it anymore because of this reason. By the time you setup the gun you could have been washing the car!
Agree....but my use of this method is not meant to be a time saver. Just an extra step I choose to do in the attempt to minimize paint issues.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:39 PM
Ed32
Racer

Originally Posted by All2Easy
I use a little Gilmour setup to pre-soak the car in suds first.

Started this process when we got our Jerez black M3. The paint on that care was especially prone to swirl marks.

Is it helping a great deal? Not really sure, but it is a process that I have gotten use to that does not take any real time.

My neighbors think I am nuts, and that is perfectly fine with me. But, they also think driving their vehicles through scratch factories (car washes) is okay too.
My neighbors think I'm crazy when they see me using the leaf blower to get my Vette dried ...car washes?

Thank you all for the replies! I guess I'll stick with the two buckets system for now.

Last edited by Ed32; 04-09-2012 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:39 AM
BocaC6
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My neighbors think I'm crazy when they see me using the leaf blower to get my Vette dried
same here, but it works well! Now a couple of them are doing it too

Get notified of new replies

To Would a foam gun save me some time?

Quick Reply: Would a foam gun save me some time?