C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 01:23 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Your factory engine doesn't require "break-in". Do a little research if you want specifics as to why.

However it's best to take it easy on your drivetrain and to some extent brakes for the first 500 miles.
Yep, and new tires are greasy.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:30 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I know that when I owned a 350Z it was common to think that guys that put synthetic in prior to 12 to 15 thousand miles could develop more oil usage. I know mine did. Has to do with the type of piston ring used.

I have forgotten more than I know..
Old 04-11-2012, 01:32 PM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Every year the factory that produces the engines has an open house. The engines are produced in St.Catharines, Canada (the Z06 and ZR1 are produced in the US with components made in St.Catharines) They have the synthetic oil put in them right there in St.Catharines. The engines are also fired up and tested using natural gas as a clean burning fuel. Engines that are going into Corvettes with a manual transmission are balanced right at the factory before being shipped to Bowling Green.

Go to www.gmpowertrain.ca for more info. The event and factory tour takes place in August.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:38 PM
FrankTank
Race Director

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
CI 7-8-9-11 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Originally Posted by DSOMC6
Your factory engine doesn't require "break-in". Do a little research if you want specifics as to why.

However it's best to take it easy on your drivetrain and to some extent brakes for the first 500 miles.

I am sure the engineers at GM knew what they were doing when putting synthetic oil in the engines from the factory... in fact over-all the whole series of LS engines are very very durable and reliable.
Old 04-11-2012, 01:55 PM
OnPoint
The Consigliere
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5,515 Likes on 2,292 Posts

200-300k miles routinely obtained on these engines. I think we're fine.

I am thinking about changing over to synthetic for a '68 Pontiac 400 I have that was recently rebuilt and now how has a couple thousand break-in miles on dyno oil.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:57 PM
04_Z06_CE
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RJRSW
PS: love your new avatar showing off the two-tone paint job, GM should use it in their ads.
Typical sad stuff from the General Morons.
Old 04-11-2012, 03:01 PM
BlueOx
Race Director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Zee sky, she is falling!!
Old 04-11-2012, 05:00 PM
choprfgr
Burning Brakes

A blue-printed engine does not need a breakin.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 PM
PCMusicGuy
Safety Car

Received 299 Likes on 226 Posts

I thought the main reason people didn't use synthetic oils for break in was due only to the cost since you were going to take it out much sooner than the design life.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:19 PM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by R&L's C6
So I got this this newsletter from Corvetteforum and it had an article/advertisement about synthetic oil. Mistake #4 says using synthetic oil to break in your engine. Doesn't our cars come from the factory with synthetic oil when new?

http://www.joegibbsdriven.com/traini...cmistakes.html
All the new Harley Screamin' Eagles come from the factory with synthetic oil too, some of those bikes well in excess of 30 G's, as far as I know they haven't had any problems....
Old 04-11-2012, 06:13 PM
HOXXOH
Race Director

Received 2,062 Likes on 1,506 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Hey, IB (the owners of CorvetteForum) are consistently advertising that we need to put off-road truck mud tires on our C6. Just watch the second thread titles. At this moment the current second "thread" ad is for SUV tires. ("Looking for a reliable tire to get you where you need to go? The CROSSTEK® CUV is designed for crossover vehicles and compact SUVs.") Who is stupid enough to think someone is looking for SUV tires for their C6 or any generation Corvette for that matter? They are idiots when it comes to knowing their market. (Ooops, did they hear that? ) I don't bother reading any of their crap.

As far as synthetic vs. dino oil, the C6 comes from the factory with synthetic. Evidently the engineers who designed the C6 know more about what the C6 needs than Joe's generic recommendations. Joe is correct though that when rebuilding an old engine it is better to use dino oil for the break-in. The reason is you use less accurately matched parts rebuilding an engine than the factory does when building a new engine. That means you need some wear to get them to fit better and dino oil gives more wear.

Bottom line - don't pay any attention to any ads coming from CorvetteForum unless they specifically say C6. Most of their ads have nothing to do with a Corvette and the products recommended will do far more harm than good.

Joe's a football guy who owns race car stuff. He's not even close to being on the same level as the GM engineers. The people he employs are race breeds whose main interest is ultimate power, not everyday engines for 250K mile daily drivers.
BTW, IB sells ads that blanket the spectrum irrespective of make. i.e. all forums see the same ad.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:39 PM
C7-Beast
Safety Car

Received 331 Likes on 201 Posts

I thought the break in period is more for the other parts of the power train and not the engine but what do I know.
Old 04-11-2012, 06:57 PM
sportcruiser
Pro

Originally Posted by 04_Z06_CE
Typical sad stuff from the General Morons.
Don't understand comments like this. What is "typical" about 2-tone paint? I would say they "typically" make a great product, and every now and again they screw up.

My wife drives an Acura that is now 4 years old and several body panels don't match after a few years in the sun.

Maybe one of you could teach me something though. Are all body panels painted separately during manufacture? I was under the impression that the body was painted post-assembly. Is the fender painted separate from the body?
Old 04-11-2012, 07:01 PM
Swiftrider08
Safety Car

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FortMorganAl
Hey, IB (the owners of CorvetteForum) are consistently advertising that we need to put off-road truck mud tires on our C6. Just watch the second thread titles. At this moment the current second "thread" ad is for SUV tires. ("Looking for a reliable tire to get you where you need to go? The CROSSTEK® CUV is designed for crossover vehicles and compact SUVs.") Who is stupid enough to think someone is looking for SUV tires for their C6 or any generation Corvette for that matter? They are idiots when it comes to knowing their market. (Ooops, did they hear that? ) I don't bother reading any of their crap.

As far as synthetic vs. dino oil, the C6 comes from the factory with synthetic. Evidently the engineers who designed the C6 know more about what the C6 needs than Joe's generic recommendations. Joe is correct though that when rebuilding an old engine it is better to use dino oil for the break-in. The reason is you use less accurately matched parts rebuilding an engine than the factory does when building a new engine. That means you need some wear to get them to fit better and dino oil gives more wear.Bottom line - don't pay any attention to any ads coming from CorvetteForum unless they specifically say C6. Most of their ads have nothing to do with a Corvette and the products recommended will do far more harm than good.
I see someone above agrees with you, but that statement in bold above has got to be one of the most incorrect things I have read on this forum. A high quality machine shop will build an engine to much tighter clearances and tolerances than any factory engine built.

Flat tappet cams are one of the big reasons for using std oil during break-in. Most all modern engines use some type of roller lifter that significantly reduces the wear issues. Modern pistion ring materials and cylinder bore hatch patterns are designed to seat to the cylinder bore with synthetic oils.
Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM
rcallen484
Race Director

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SanDiegoBert
Yes, they does.

I imagine those engines will bite the dust after 200 or 250K miles of hard use. What a shame.
Yep, and George Carlin used to say that they had discovered that saliva caused cancer------------ but only if swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:31 AM
Mr. Hyde
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I bought a LS6 crate engine from GM, my shop filled it with dino oil for all of the reasons previously stated...better break in etc...
This engine was installed in my 2001 SS Camaro.
Fast forward to when I bought the Z06 and learned then (2008) that it came filled with Mobil 1.
I asked the guy at the shop about this..his answer was...
"Because they break them in at the factory, they can put Mobil 1 in from the beginning."
Hmmmm
Old 04-12-2012, 08:20 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by Swiftrider08
I see someone above agrees with you, but that statement in bold above has got to be one of the most incorrect things I have read on this forum...
You just aren't looking hard enough.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:38 AM
RobLo
Drifting

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 289 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by sportcruiser
Don't understand comments like this. What is "typical" about 2-tone paint? I would say they "typically" make a great product, and every now and again they screw up.

My wife drives an Acura that is now 4 years old and several body panels don't match after a few years in the sun.

Maybe one of you could teach me something though. Are all body panels painted separately during manufacture? I was under the impression that the body was painted post-assembly. Is the fender painted separate from the body?
I remember watching the Larry the Cable Guy special (it's somewhere here on the forum) when he visited the Bowling Green plant, I got the impression all the body panels were painted separately and then assembled painted. In one scene he touched one of the panels with his bare hand and was told that particular panel he touched would have to be (I think) stripped down and repainted.....
Old 04-12-2012, 09:27 AM
The Clevite Kid
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 72 Likes on 45 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16,'17,'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

The main reason for the 500 mile "Take-it-easy" recommendation is for the gears in the rear axle, and to some extent, the gears in the transmission. Until the machining asperities are burnished into submission, they COULD initiate fatigue or spalling if highly stressed, say by 400 ft-lbs. of torque.

The engine is good to go from day one.

Quick Reply: Are our engines doomed from the factory!!!!!!!!!!