C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do blacked out tail lights pass Texas inspection?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 09:10 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Received 1,001 Likes on 619 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Default Do blacked out tail lights pass Texas inspection?

All you guys with blacked out tail lights here in Texas, especially Harris County: Where have you gotten your car inspected and how did it go? Pass? Fail? Did you have to swap tails to get a sticker?

I asked about this at my last inspection because I wanted to get them for my car. The reply from the inspector guy was "No, I won't pass it".

However, I see more than a few cars and trucks running around Houston with blacked out tail lights (and head lights too). So where do these guys get inspection stickers?

True stories please with places and dates if possible. No "I would think..." or " My brother in law's cousin's dog groomer said..."

And this is NOT intended to start a debate on whether blacked out tail lights are legal in Texas or if they are a good or bad idea in the first place.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:11 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Received 2,915 Likes on 1,924 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I asked about this whenI had the 85 inspected last week. They showed me the letter sent to all inspection stations. Anything done to the lights will fail. My inspection guy said he would pass my car anyway. We will see in Dec. Think I will turn on the lights before I pull in.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:18 PM
slash8915
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had a legal inspection on my cars in years. So I don't really worry about it.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:04 AM
alamo1974
Drifting

Received 82 Likes on 73 Posts

I was stopped in Dalhart, Texas last year and got a ticket for having my tail lights blacked out. Just glad it was a warning ticket. Told me to have it removed when I got to San Antonio.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:35 AM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 261 Likes on 222 Posts
2015 C6 of the Year Finalist

I'm kind of worried about the same thing here in NC.

I doubt that blacked out tail lights will pass unless you find a inspection station that will look the other way. I think that they could loose there license to do inspections, if it was proven that the knowingly passed illegal cars.

For that reason, I have kept a set of RED tail lights that I can swap out in 10 minutes when it is time to get my inspection done. Problem fixed.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:35 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by slash8915
I haven't had a legal inspection on my cars in years. So I don't really worry about it.
How do you get by w/o it? In Texas a car has to pass state inspection before it can be titled.

Last edited by wjnjr; 08-26-2012 at 03:45 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 03:41 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wayback
I asked about this whenI had the 85 inspected last week. They showed me the letter sent to all inspection stations. Anything done to the lights will fail. My inspection guy said he would pass my car anyway. We will see in Dec. Think I will turn on the lights before I pull in.
That's what I'm finding out, some inspectors will pass them, some won't.

What did the letter say?
Old 08-26-2012, 04:10 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 42 Likes on 41 Posts

The taillights on the Camaro have been tinted for years without any problems,until two years ago. The inspector didn't worry about it. My "friendly inspector" got another job. The same place that had inspected it for many years wouldn't even look at it. I was lucky and found a guy that would do it. I bought a spare set of taillights and switched them out for the inspection for the last two years. Up until a couple weeks ago I never had a problem on the street. DPS got behind me and I knew what was coming. He didn't like the tinted tails are no front plate. I know the "friendly inspectors" are getting hard to find. I have heard about the letter that all inspection places have, but have not seen it. I sold the Camaro and bought a C6. As much as I want to tint the tails, I won't do it on this car. Still have no front plate. We will see how that goes. Even if you get it inspected it can still be a hassle with every officer you see if he/she wants to play that way. Good Luck
Old 08-26-2012, 04:11 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 389 Likes on 220 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

I'm no lawyer by any means but if you black out you tail lights and someone slams into the rear of your car and dies as a result, kiss your insurance and who knows what else good bye.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:12 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wjnjr
How do you get by w/o it? In Texas a car has to pass state inspection before it can be titled.
It doesn't have to "pass" inspection. It just has to have the sticker that says it did. The guys that can provide that are getting hard to find.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:16 PM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by pokerpro
I'm no lawyer by any means but if you black out you tail lights and someone slams into the rear of your car and dies as a result, kiss your insurance and who knows what else good bye.
Very true. Mine were not that dark, but they were hard to see if the sun was right. It doesn't make much sense to worry about the car being totaled because of the tinted tails. But, they look cool
Old 08-26-2012, 04:18 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by firebug10
It doesn't have to "pass" inspection. It just has to have the sticker that says it did. The guys that can provide that are getting hard to find.
Good point
Old 08-26-2012, 04:28 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

If you have LED tail lights and they are tinted correctly, they look dark (compared to red untinted ones) but you can EASILY see the tail lights when they light up, especially the brake lights.

At night if you have LED tail lights that are tinted they are still probably brighter than OEM tail lights.

Here is my car with tinted tail lights. Check out the video.

Name:  1012-072112.jpg
Views: 8894
Size:  869.4 KB

Last edited by ncvette_1FUNRIDE; 08-26-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:01 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 389 Likes on 220 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ncvette_1FUNRIDE
If you have LED tail lights and they are tinted correctly, they look dark (compared to red untinted ones) but you can EASILY see the tail lights when they light up, especially the brake lights.

At night if you have LED tail lights that are tinted they are still probably brighter than OEM tail lights.

Here is my car with tinted tail lights. Check out the video.

I think your missing my point, if you live in a state where they are illegal no matter how well you can see them and someone rear ends you and dies you don't think some lawyer is going to have a field day with your insurance company? And what ever your insurance doesn't cover you will civilly.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:07 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Originally Posted by wjnjr
That's what I'm finding out, some inspectors will pass them, some won't.

What did the letter say?
Basically that ANY modification to OEM lights will impair the lights so that they will not meet the regulations they were designed for.
Therefor any modification is illegal and will not pass. They are taking the easy way out! Some tinted lights still meet or exceed the requirements of the law. But it is easier to fail all than to check all.

I know mine meet all requirements, but this one.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:12 PM
wayback
Team Owner

Because they now keep a data base and can tell if it was actually tested. They scan VIN #. Tx police can also check their computer to verify you have ins on the car before they pull you over.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:23 PM
wjnjr
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by wayback
Basically that ANY modification to OEM lights will impair the lights so that they will not meet the regulations they were designed for.
Therefor any modification is illegal and will not pass. They are taking the easy way out! Some tinted lights still meet or exceed the requirements of the law. But it is easier to fail all than to check all.

I know mine meet all requirements, but this one.
Here's the page on modifications and aftermarket parts from the DPS website. Info on lights, CAIs, lifted trucks, etc. Interesting stuff.

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/VI/...arketModif.htm

Get notified of new replies

To Do blacked out tail lights pass Texas inspection?

Old 08-26-2012, 08:10 PM
ncvette_1FUNRIDE
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

I think your missing my point, if you live in a state where they are illegal no matter how well you can see them and someone rear ends you and dies you don't think some lawyer is going to have a field day with your insurance company? And what ever your insurance doesn't cover you will civilly.
Here is the statute from the NCDOT that explains motor vehicles REAR LAMPS.

(d) Rear Lamps. – Every motor vehicle, and every trailer or semitrailer attached to a motor vehicle and every vehicle which is being drawn at the end of a combination of vehicles, shall have all originally equipped rear lamps or the equivalent in good working order, which lamps shall exhibit a red light plainly visible under normal atmospheric conditions from a distance of 500 feet to the rear of such vehicle. One rear lamp or a separate lamp shall be so constructed and placed that the number plate carried on the rear of such vehicle shall under like conditions be illuminated by a white light as to be read from a distance of 50 feet to the rear of such vehicle. Every trailer or semitrailer shall carry at the rear, in addition to the originally equipped lamps, a red reflector of the type which has been approved by the Commissioner and which is so located as to height and is so maintained as to be visible for at least 500 feet when opposed by a motor vehicle displaying lawful undimmed lights at night on an unlighted highway.

My tinted tail lights meet these requirements.

Also, I had a local police car right behind me the other day for at least a half a mile before he turned off and he didn't pull me over.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:16 PM
txsugar08
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI DUDE. Tha't's a class "B" misdemeanor. Go directly to jail and get your car towed.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:47 AM
spdkilz911
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by txsugar08
FYI DUDE. Tha't's a class "B" misdemeanor. Go directly to jail and get your car towed.
I understand that. Just passing on "how" it can be done. I never bought a sticker, but the guys broke the law, along with myself, by passing my car. You can pull out of the inspection place with a sticker and get a ticket for any violation before all four tires hit the street. I played that game for many years. Not this time around.

Quick Reply: Do blacked out tail lights pass Texas inspection?