C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key FOB's not working

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 08:46 PM
Chuck Reilly
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key FOB's not working

I own a 2008 Corvette. In October I noticed a message saying the FOB was not found. I was still able to get the car started and took it directly to the dealer. The dealer advised there wasn't anything wrong with the FOB's and actually charged me. I also had the oil changed, because I was putting the car up for the winter.

A few days later I went to put a trickle charge on the battery. The FOBs didn't work at unlocking the doors. I tried to use the key to open the trunk, so I could unlock the door. The alarm went off, whichs keeps the door from being able to be opened. I closed the trunk, and the alarm stopped. I called Onstar to have my doors unlocked, but they couldn't do it due to my car being in a garage with the door closed. I opened the garage door, and they still couldn't unlock the doors. I finally got the FOB to work long enough to get the doors unlocked, and was able to put a trickle charge on the battery.

Recently I attempted to do the 3 10 minute Off Accessory to Learn procedure that I found on this site. I was able to get to the "Ready for 1st Fob" part, but when I put the fob into the glove compartment slot it doesn't do anything. I tried it with both fobs.

Can anyone please help me on how I can resolve this issue? I don't want to get the car towed, but not sure how to procede. Will getting new batteries for the fobs help? Any other things I can try?

Thank you for any ideas you may have!
Old 03-10-2013, 09:03 PM
Vette_DD
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,288 Likes on 941 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

As cheap as fob batteries are, I'd replace the batteries in however many fobs you have. Reprogramming the fob(s) is not necessary at all.

If you still have problems, it may be the car battery is about gone. Try that next.

But you should never, never need to reprogram the fob(s).
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM
ChevyDave
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

ok... some things to cover first.

you said you put a trickle charge on your run down car battery. well , if its really trickle, it will take FOREVER to charge up a dead/almost dead battery. unless you have driven it quite a bit, its still most likely still run down. if you have been trickle charging since OCT then , i'd say its as charged as it ever will be.

1) yes when you open the trunk with the key, the horn will (may) sound. normal

2) after getting the hatch open with the key, on the left side about over the back wheel hump, is the door pull (also gas door open pull). as far as i can tell, both the hatch pull and the emergency open (on floor in front of seats next to doorway) are solid cables that pull open the door latch and have NO electricity required or active FOB's required. Pull, door opens!!! Now that you erased your fobs from the car, i'm pretty sure your car will honk when opening the hatch next time with the key.
2A) the horn will time out (i think)
2B) you can pull the horn fuse , open hood, open fuse box, pull #2 circled in red. the one in green is a relay, can be pulled but red one should stop the horn. fyi.. you need to put it back before running engine, i think the system will think you have a charging problem with it pulled.

3) anytime you get FOB NOT FOUND it can be because... see checklist and my 3A,3B,3C..
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/atta...-checklist.pdf
3A) fob battery is dead or low on power , open and replace if older than X years (you decide how old is old, maybe 3?). replace with CR2032 smooth sided, not rough sided
Name:  fob-open.jpg
Views: 2691
Size:  246.1 KB
3B) electronic interference can cause FOB not found.. remove any and all electronic equipment that isnt OEM (came with car) including phones/charger/pass cards,everything, try again. not necessay to read list, but i'm putting it here anyway. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1581621019-post9.html
3C) possible but very unlikely both FOBS are broken at the same time, almost 0 chance

4) the car should always read a programmed FOB when placed into the glove slot, even a FOB with a totally dead battery.
4A) a run down car battery , or a massive interference(unlikely),or broken fob(unlikely),or bad RCDLR car antenna(also unlikely)... could cause a FOB to be unknown in glove slot
Name:  fob-glove.jpg
Views: 8242
Size:  287.6 KB

5) the only time a fob needs to be programmed into the car is when its a fob the car NEVER ever had programmed before.

6) a bad (or very weak run down) car battery will or at least can cause NO FOB error, see odds reported.. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...cted-poll.html

7) now that you have attempted to do a full program of FOBS, it appears you have deleted all known FOBS from the car, now you MUST program them back into the car. see this for how to program them. Note that if you have a Canadian or European version car, you MAY now have to have a dealership program them.
http://www.ls2.com/boggs/c6/C6%20Fob%20Programming.pdf
or
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html

8) if you have a 2008 with vin that end between 85105302 and 85106987, its possible that you might have a recall for bad RCDLR (car receivers). if your vins end between those number, call a dealership and ask if recall is possible. I doubt you need this, but again, if your vin ends between those numbers, ask dealership if you qualify for recall 07260A , if they say NO, ask if it was ever done to your car. if you get bored and want to read it.. http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1566819468-post8.html note that the recall (free fix) seems to say that its good only until October 31, 2008 (small print stuff gets confusing) and after that date you pay (?).

note: the order you program the fobs back in will be the order your car knows them by, it doesnt matter to the car if you do #2 first or #1 first, the first one programmed will be #1 to the car

Last edited by ChevyDave; 03-11-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 AM
FortMorganAl
Le Mans Master

Location: Currently somewhere in IL,IN,KY,TN,MO,AR,MS,AL, or FL
Received 229 Likes on 188 Posts

If you started the long procedure and didn't finish even the first FOB, you now have a brick for a car. That procedure erases all memory of all FOBs. It is the car that remembers the FOB ID. The FOB does not remember the car.

You should NEVER reprogram unless you buy a new FOB. The car remembers the FOBs even without battery power.

Your issue sure sounds like it was just dead FOB batteries complicated by a weak car battery. Replace the FOB batteries. Charge the car battery. Do the long procedure again with both FOBs.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 AM
eboggs_jkvl
Moderator/Tech Contributor

Location: Jacksonville Florida BWO Dayton, Cincinnati, Bloomsbury NJ, Cincinnati
Received 3,878 Likes on 2,096 Posts
2015 C7 of the Year Finalist

Maybe this would help?

>> FOB not detected checklist <<

Elmer
Old 03-11-2013, 01:09 PM
cclive
Team Owner

Received 436 Likes on 373 Posts

In the programming instructions that I wrote, I included a procedure for checking to see if the glovebox slot was working correctly. As I said there, the reason for that procedure is that if the slot is not working correctly, all fobs can be erased and then no new fobs can be added...effectively bricking the car. This procedure is still valid in your case. Follow it now to check the slot in your car. If the slot is not working, then unfortunately, you will need to have the dealer either fix it or force program your fobs and leave the slot non-functional.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c6-c...tructions.html
Old 11-17-2016, 08:22 PM
sdadams
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Where does the RCDLR reside in the car?
Old 11-18-2016, 06:33 AM
Grimlock13
Melting Slicks

Received 139 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by sdadams
Where does the RCDLR reside in the car?
Dash in the center stack behind the radio / HVAC area.

Get notified of new replies

To Key FOB's not working

Quick Reply: Key FOB's not working